UKC

Hand rehabilitation - paralysis recovery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richygee 03 Jan 2018
Good evening all,
Over Christmas a family member was unfortunate to have a fall at home and damage his spine. He suffered incomplete spinal cord damage and was initially paralysed in his arms and legs. Post op he is slowly regaining movement and is focused on recovery, essentially learning how to use his arms and legs again.

I'm looking for advice or recommendations on hand/grip trainers that can exercise each finger in both extension and contraction. Ideally starting with very low resistance.

Thanks all,

Rich

Greasy Prusiks 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Richygee:

Sorry to hear that. I've no medical expertise/experience but climbers sometimes use boxes of sand for rehabilitating fingers. You put your hand in the box and do various exercises. I'm not recommending it because I'm not a medic but it might be worth thinking about. Best of luck for your relatives recovery.

youtube.com/watch?v=j26rnqGvtMk&
 abr1966 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Richygee:

You need to be careful as increasing flexor tone may be a problem if there is any spasticity in the muscle post injury. Best to speak to the Physio or OT's first....
 Timmd 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Richygee:

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/metolius-grip-saver-plus---original/...

This has been designed to exercise/strengthen the forearm and fingers in both extension and contraction, but as suggested above, speaking to the medical peeps before it being used could be a good idea.
OP Richygee 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Richygee:

Thanks all. He's getting great care of the ward from the physios and OTs, and we will run anything by them first. He used to climb a lot and wanted me to ask here for suggestions, so thanks. He's just keen to be doing as much rehab as possible.

I'll check out the links

Thanks again

Rich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...