UKC

Happy plottiversary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Thought it was worth a dedicated thread to say thanks for all the data and analysis

rsc 20 Nov 2021
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Took me a moment to work out what this was about, but yes, I’ll second that. Thanks Wintertree.

elsewhere 20 Nov 2021

Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday Dear Wintertree
Happy Birthday to You.

AllanMac 20 Nov 2021

I get the strangest looks when I say I get my Covid info from a climbing forum.

Thanks from me too.

In reply to AllanMac:

> I get the strangest looks when I say I get my Covid info from a climbing forum.

> Thanks from me too.

I've had that too. Anyway great to have wintertree's input over the last year. It's certainly kept me engaged.

Cheers

M

Misha 20 Nov 2021

Thanks for all the great analysis. Missed the first few threads because I thought it was something about making plans on a Friday night.

Duncan Bourne 20 Nov 2021

indeed!

bouldery bits 21 Nov 2021

I read it all and understood almost none of it 

Cheers WT!

Lankyman 21 Nov 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I read it all and understood almost none of it 

> Cheers WT!

Yes, most of it well above my pay grade. Bearing down on the waves of mischief from the conspiracy theorists and antivax nonsense-peddlers is much appreciated.

Derek Furze 21 Nov 2021

Indeed!  It has been brilliant and an example of serious dedication.  The best source of information and analysis available to my mind.  Thanks Wintertree 😀

BusyLizzie 21 Nov 2021

Yes, great stuff, many thanks to WT.

neilh 21 Nov 2021

Yep. Not sure I understand it all , but it’s very impressive.  

abr1966 21 Nov 2021

Agreed....!! We'll said...

Wingnut 21 Nov 2021

<*Sends Wintertree virtual cake*>

Wainers44 22 Nov 2021

Yes great stuff WT. There were dark times when your thoughts and analysis kept me from descending into "we're doomed, doomed I tell you...." for good!

Small admission though, I sometimes feel I am looking at a train crash, or something else I shouldn't watch when you are beating off another denier,  liar, or fool. But you stick to your views faithfully. Well done to you.

chris_r 22 Nov 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I read it all and understood almost none of it 

> Cheers WT!

Maybe that's next year's project, "Statistics for Climbers" by Wintertree.

hang_about 22 Nov 2021

Really good stuff. Thanks to Wintertree. I'd use it as an example of exemplary data analysis and presentation skills for my undergraduates if they weren't so fed up of Covid! 

Toerag 22 Nov 2021

Thanks from me and everyone else who I've given information to which has originated on those threads

Offwidth 22 Nov 2021

The star UKC poster called wintetree

Typifies what good posters here should be

He loves a good plot

But gets picked on a lot

From others who often are logic free.

Dave Garnett 22 Nov 2021

> Thought it was worth a dedicated thread to say thanks for all the data and analysis

Yes, statistics was never my strong point, so extremely helpful to have an authoritative, independent analysis that I can understand at least some of!

Wintertree should get the annual Tim Harford 'Is that a big number?' award.

Another big “thank you” to wintertree- his tireless efforts have been central to ensuring that ukc has remained an island of sanity in an ocean of COVID-related social media misinformation. I agree with his analysis that some of this is effectively terrorism, using misinformation as a weapon to damage the cohesion of our society, fomenting division and causing death and economic suffering. The pervasiveness of the messaging that minimises COVIDs seriousness, and undermines effective interventions while pushing treatments that don’t work is very worrying; and for many people who don’t have a good understanding of medicine and statistics, and who are already skeptical about whether the state has their interests at heart, it appears to be very persuasive. 

But the work of Wintertree and others on here has shown that a social media space can push back effectively against this. So thanks again, for helping keep me sane through the last 18 months- and a Tim Harford award would be well deserved..!

mondite 23 Nov 2021
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> But the work of Wintertree and others on here has shown that a social media space can push back effectively against this.

The mods deserve praise here as well for keeping a pretty good balance between allowing open discussion vs avoiding it being flooded by the trolls/nutters.

In reply to mondite:

Yes- absolutely agree

Neil Williams 23 Nov 2021

Agreed.

Lankyman 23 Nov 2021
In reply to mondite:

> The mods deserve praise here as well for keeping a pretty good balance between allowing open discussion vs avoiding it being flooded by the trolls/nutters.

I do hope that the trolls don't get entirely blocked. There's quite a lot of entertainment value in watching their 'arguments' being dissected and then having the shreds metaphorically shoved up their anuses. I do wonder why the antivaxxers bother?

mondite 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> I do hope that the trolls don't get entirely blocked.

It is a difficult balance to strike hence why I do think the mods need praise. Its allowing enough through so the "arguments" can be ripped apart and to allow the other side, such as it is, to be presented for debate without allowing them to spam so much the dissections disappear beneath the pile of crap.

ps. Wintertree and co have also done a great and much appreciated job.

Post edited at 22:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...