UKC

Has anyone used Fitness Singles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi.

I am thinking if registering with Fitness Singles to date and hopefully find a partner.

Has anyone used this site/service? 

For those who have is it any good?

Any recommendations for filtering?

Amy advice on using this site would be taken into great consideration. 

Sav

In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Used Sport42 for a while but I was messaged relentlessly by scammers and phishers after money.

Dunno about other peoples experiences with dating apps but personally speaking I found getting out and living a life leads to better relationships. Everyone's guilty of putting up unrealistic, supercharged versions of themselves that are untenable.

You might have more luck than me - Who knows?

pasbury 01 Oct 2018
In reply to Mountain Spirit & what the hex:

Match made in heaven???

In reply to pasbury:

Steady on.

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Hi. 

My sister who found love on Plenty of Fish told me about scammers, phishers and people who put basically lie on their profile.

Sav

In reply to pasbury:

Possibly. 

Who knows?

S

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

I agree.

Wiley Coyote2 02 Oct 2018

Dating sites can work. I've met two long term partners (total of 12 years) on the web and met other women I have liked but just not felt any chemistry with.  I think fake profiles are more a problem for women than men with married guys hoping for a quick illicit legover. (I've yet to find a correspondingly sneaky married woman looking to have her wicked way with me). The worst lie I have ever caught anyone out in is shaving a couple of years off their age. Who would have thought a woman might do such a thing?

You do have to be a little wary  and I have met a couple of slightly strange ones but no out and out crazies. Just like real life, you get a feel for people quite quickly and tbf contacting on line, then chatting by phone and meeting in a pub or coffee shop  is probably better than my original method of  seeing someone in a darkened club, failing to have a conversation over the deafening music, getting half cut and toddling off into the night together.  As ever, you just have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a  princess.

Blue Straggler 02 Oct 2018

Why Fitness Singles and not some non-sport-oriented dating website? Will you create a profile that says you are a keen and active climber?

Lurking Dave 02 Oct 2018

Tinder seems to be as successful as the "we match your... interests,  climbing ability, star sign, bio rhythms etc."

LD

In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Hi.

Great post.

You say it how it is. 

LOL Your line about seeing someone in a darkened club reminds of that episode of The Inbetweeners where the four go to London to go clubbing and two of the lads just don't approach any ladies but they discuss who would have sex with them and how.

I have been told about crazies and weirdos in the online dating scene.

Sav

Timmd 02 Oct 2018

A friend met his now wife online, and they have a child together and couldn't be happier. I guess all spheres of life have their share of random good and bad luck, and weird people and decent sorts. 

Post edited at 00:49
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I was suggested it a long time ago by someone at my first wall.

I do other activities like swimming, yoga, tryking, going for long walks.

I will say that I have an interest in climbing outdoors.

I am not keen for dates to pubs and clubs.

Sav

wildebeeste 02 Oct 2018

Met my wife through Gumtree personals. Together for 10 years, married for 8. And it was only supposed to be the aforementioned quick leg over! If you don't focus on it to the exclusion of more organic interactions I don't anything wrong with it.

Tricadam 02 Oct 2018

> I do other activities like swimming, yoga, tryking, going for long walks.

Tryking?

Have you boofed yet? 

Lemony 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

> tryking

It’s where you’re overly keen for a ménage a trois and end up a third wheel.

AP Melbourne 02 Oct 2018

> Amy advice on using this site would be taken into great consideration. 

> Sav

That's not my ex Amy is it Sav?

[Sorry, couldn't help meself].

A.

Cú Chullain 02 Oct 2018

> Why Fitness Singles and not some non-sport-oriented dating website? Will you create a profile that says you are a keen and active climber?

In my experience of using mainstream dating sites is that often stated 'hobbies and interests' are massively exaggerated. So that 'I like mountain biking' statement relates to an afternoon in Dorset on rented bikes five years ago rather someone who hits the trails most weekends.

That said I met Mrs Cu on match.com about 10 years ago. Once you fine tune your radar so to speak it is fairly easy to avoid the fruitloops and time wasters and actually go on some fun dates with some genuinely interesting people.

BrendanO 02 Oct 2018

I agree, pubs/clubs are hard work for meeting up - everyone's hammered (well, I was), it's dark, you're deaf, and working overvisually. It's not easy to spot who has cams in their handbags too!

i met my other half, now wife, on a pre-internet equivalent of dating site. She was the tenth person I met for lunch, and I recommend lunch cos it's a pretty low-pressure first meet. I only met one part-crazy person, and lunch with someone like that is only lunch. 

While folk might lie on their profiles, you will suss it out quite quick, and you'll see a bettermix of their qualities than in a club.

(however, if you just love to dance, clubs are the place for you!)

Good luck! Let us know if a UKC wedding is upcoming!

jkarran 02 Oct 2018

Internet dating sites can be successful, it is now very common indeed, I think about half my mates met partners online, as did I.

I suspect mostly on fitness singles you'll find pretty obsessive athletic types, which is fine if you want to play the same games at the same pace but otherwise may not actually be as good as you might think. I know I considered it back when I was actually a climber but in the end you meet a wider range of people through the less exclusive dating sites.

Some people lie and scam, some tell little white lies and exaggerate, some are as straight down the line as they can be and some actually a little shy with their profiles. Some want more than you, some less. Take things with a pinch of salt, be kind and straight with people, meet people as soon as you're happy to then be honest with them and yourself. Try not to take it to heart.

If I was doing it again I'd probably just use Tinder, it is after all just an ice breaker. Or get a dog, and get out of the house, best ice breaker ever and even if you don't meet anyone you have a dog

jk

In reply to Tricadam:

LOL.

A tryke is a three wheel bike with either two at the front and one at the back or one at the front and two at the back - I just got the spelling wrong!

In reply to Timmd:

My sister met her husband online and they have a lovely baby boy now and the same. I think you are right.

In reply to Cú Chullain:

> In my experience of using mainstream dating sites is that often stated 'hobbies and interests' are massively exaggerated. So that 'I like mountain biking' statement relates to an afternoon in Dorset on rented bikes five years ago rather someone who hits the trails most weekends.

Fitness Singles is a mainstream dating site wherein stated hobbies and interests are often exaggerated (and when they are NOT exaggerated, they are scarily obsessive - I used to trawl through that site mainly for giggles, and the amount of people who made a point of listing specific strong achievements in their sport, was equal parts sad, scary and amusing. Seemed a bit childish)

In reply to Lemony:

Lmao.

I just got one letter wrong in the spelling. It is triking not tryking.

In reply to Tricadam:

> > I do other activities like swimming, yoga, tryking, going for long walks.

> Tryking?

Trying to be the king. 
It's good to be the king, ask Mel Brooks
youtube.com/watch?v=StJS51d1Fzg&

In reply to AP Melbourne:

Lol. Typo.

It was quite late at night when I did the OP.

Funnily my brother's partner is called Amy.

S

In reply to wildebeeste:

Thank you.

Great stuff.

> Lol. Typo.

> It was quite late at night when I did the OP.

> Funnily my brother's partner is called Amy.

Sounds like you fancy your brother's partner Amy, hence accidentally writing her name late at night in a discussion about dating. Because you were really just thinking about her

Rigid Raider 02 Oct 2018

A divorced friend of mine used Fitness Singles and met a younger woman who was an obsessively fit triathlete. He is a very fit cyclist himself but he found her exhausting especially as he was expected to row along behind her in a dinghy while she swam along Blackpool beach and support her at events up and down the country, often camping, sleeping badly then driving home. To add to his discomfort she was spectacularly disorganised, her life a complete mess, her possessions filthy and ill-maintained so life was a long litany of disasters, cockups and mishaps. She moved in with him but the relationship petered out after a few months and now he cycles with a couple of good friends, one female. 

In reply to BrendanO:

Thank you.

The only times I dance these days are at weddings and christenings.

I agree with you about sussing out the lies on profiles and seeing a better mix of peoples qualities.

Thanks you. I will do.

LMAO. LOL.

No, not at all. It was just a typo and the M and N keys are next to each other.

In reply to jkarran:

Well I do walk my brother's dog with my dad when he is here or leaves the dog here before he goes abroad to attend seminars

Also I talk to people in Spanish class and in my yoga class as well as people at the various walls I go to. I met a fellow climber who's parents are from where my mum is from in Cyprus and we are now friends.

Sav

Timmd 02 Oct 2018
In reply to jkarran:

> If I was doing it again I'd probably just use Tinder, it is after all just an ice breaker. Or get a dog, and get out of the house, best ice breaker ever and even if you don't meet anyone you have a dog

> jk

I've had quite a large amount of attention from females while looking after my friend's little terrier, and a friend's hubby gets the same when out with their dogs by himself. It's something about it suggesting a tender(er) side to men I think. I guess the main reason to get a dog is to enjoy having a dog, or it might lead to resentment in the partnership. 'You didn't find me a partner...'

Post edited at 18:14
 coinneach 02 Oct 2018

That’s the site that Birdie and Mrs Num Num used.

Dave the Rave 02 Oct 2018

Not personally, but this woman at work uses it. She is well fit and I reckon could crush a Brazil nut but between her arse cheeks! Might get her one for the Xmas party 

Post edited at 20:07
 Tricadam 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> and now he cycles with a couple of good friends, one female. 

Tryking? 

Lusk 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> I've had quite a large amount of attention from females while looking after my friend's little terrier, and a friend's hubby gets the same when out with their dogs by himself. It's something about it suggesting a tender(er) side to men I think.

That's dogging for you.

Welsh Kate 02 Oct 2018

My sister used mainstream dating sites, had several short-lived relationships, then for some reason agreed to meet a bloke whom the site said had a zero percent compatibility rating.

That was about 10 years ago, and they've just celebrated their 6th wedding anniversary.

In reply to Welsh Kate:

One thing to say....

Wow!!!!

Calvi 03 Oct 2018

Try Lake District Singles (on facebook), it's where I met the lovely Julie just over a year ago. 

Post edited at 15:40
In reply to Calvi:

Will try it and Fitness singles.

Done it.

Do you know if thee is one for people in The South West and other parts?

Sav

Post edited at 19:39
 webbo 03 Oct 2018

> Will try it and Fitness singles.

> Done it.

> Do you know if thee is one for people in The South West and other parts?

> Sav

Are you not supposed to be fit to join fitness singles or are people graded relative to there fitness.

i.e. someone who can jog for ten minutes gets paired with a font3 boulderer.

yorkshire_lad2 03 Oct 2018

I can only speak highly of fitness singles, and have had a few dates and coffees with some lovely ladies.  There's not a high join rate so once you've checked out all those you are interested in, don't expect a lot more new arrivals soon.

I find myself caught between match.com (lots of gleaming white smiles/perfect hairstyles and "I like a walk before Sunday lunch at the pub") and fitness singles ("I do a marathon before breakfast, don't you....?"). There are active people on match.com, and less scarily fit people on fitness singles, and you get used to reading between the lines.

In reply to webbo:

I think it is for people who do some exercise and they do ask you about lifestyl;e like level of activity and if you smoke and drink.

In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

With you on Fitness Singles. I am registering with them now and my application to join Lake District Singles FB page has been accepted - along with the social group of the same name.

Should I join Match as well?

webbo 03 Oct 2018

Depends on how desperate you are.

In reply to webbo:

Indeed.

I have very sad news - family wise.

webbo 03 Oct 2018

Yet despite this sad news you are still post on the clip stick thread.

In reply to webbo:

Yes. I think it keeps my spirits up and helps me stay positive.

In reply to jkarran: 

> If I was doing it again I'd probably just use Tinder, it is after all just an ice breaker. Or get a dog, and get out of the house, best ice breaker ever and even if you don't meet anyone you have a dog

> jk

Just stick with the dog; they cost less, eat less and are way more loyal... 

Tricadam 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Francescaparratt:

> Just stick with the dog; they cost less, eat less and are way more loyal... 

But usually smell worse, sadly. 

In reply to Tricadam:

> But usually smell worse, sadly. 

I’d say it’s a 50/50 chance judging from previous dates...

"Do you know if thee is one for people in The South West ..."

"I am registering with them now and my application to join Lake District Singles FB page has been accepted"

? Are you planning on doing a lot of driving?

In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I can travel to most places by train.

I do like West Country folk.

The New NickB 04 Oct 2018

Many years ago (about 8) I joined Fitness Singles and used it erratically over about two years. I probably met half a dozen different people, mostly nice, one or two mildly odd, a few second dates, but nothing that really went anywhere. For me it didn't really work, in part because if I am honest with myself, I wasn't in a great place at the time (recently separated after a 10 year relationship, dealing with quite a lot of sadness, regret and loneliness).

Happily, I met somebody through the running club that I joined, we are quite equally matched when it comes to our obsessiveness about the sports we take part in. We have been together 6 years and got married this summer.

The moral of the story, just try and get out and meet people, online is one way of meeting new people, but it certainly isn't the only way.

"I can travel to most places by train."

But for a date with a stranger?  I would stick to the local area TBH, remember the girl is unlikely to be interested in a guy who lives hundreds of mile away.

In reply to The New NickB:

Hi Nick

Actually I have opened up more in my Spanish and Yoga classes and I talk top people at the various walls I go to.

Post edited at 11:32
 Calvi 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> "Do you know if thee is one for people in The South West ..."

> "I am registering with them now and my application to join Lake District Singles FB page has been accepted"

> ? Are you planning on doing a lot of driving?

The majority of the people on the LDS facebook group aren't from the Lakes, just people who love the outdoors.

Blue Straggler 04 Oct 2018

> I talk top people at the various walls I go to.

Try talking to the average people as well Savvas!  

subtle 04 Oct 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

> Happily, I met somebody through the running club that I joined, we are quite equally matched when it comes to our obsessiveness about the sports we take part in. We have been together 6 years and got married this summer.

> The moral of the story, just try and get out and meet people, online is one way of meeting new people, but it certainly isn't the only way.

Nice one, congrats by the way in case I already hadn't passed them on.

Rigid Raider 04 Oct 2018

I was about to say (write?) that I would simply polish the road bike off, buy some new unfaded gear and enrol in as many sportives as possible. Cruising along on the bike it's amazing how often you catch up with (or get caught up by) lone women who are always ready to pootle along chatting. If you don't gel, just accelerate away with a cheery wave or make an excuse and stop. If you both get to the end of the ride together you have already overcome one major hurdle, that of compatibility in your chosen sport.

LMHO.

I meant talk to people at the various walls.

Sav

In reply to Rigid Raider:

I don't have a bike but I do trike at a club.

LeeWood 04 Oct 2018

Take a look at OutdoorDuo

In reply to LeeWood:

Looked at it.

Will join.

Post edited at 21:40
 Timmd 08 Oct 2018
In reply to webbo:

> Yet despite this sad news you are still post on the clip stick thread.

The forums can be helpful displacement/distraction from whatever irks in everyday life. 

Post edited at 18:39

Is it worth paying the subscription fees for these websites?

profitofdoom 11 Oct 2018

> Is it worth paying the subscription fees for these websites?

That question can not be answered. It is worth it to some people and not worth it to other people

Good luck to you anyway

jkarran 11 Oct 2018

> Is it worth paying the subscription fees for these websites?

Probably no more than one site at a time and then only if you can a) afford it comfortably and b) actually use it and enjoy using it to meet people.

jk

In reply to profitofdoom:

Thank you.

In reply to jkarran:

Hi JK. 

Fitness Singles charges users monthly fee to read messages and Outdoor Duo charges a monthly fee for adding further photos.

aln 12 Oct 2018

POF

jkarran 12 Oct 2018

As I said last week I'd try one of the free services first, it's just an ice breaker to get you talking to and meeting people. Just treat yourself and the people you meet with care and go have fun. With perseverance and a little luck you might meet someone special.

jk

In reply to jkarran:

Hi 

I agree but I am registered with two sites already - Fitness Singles and Outdoors Duo.

Any sites you recommend?

Sav

aln 13 Oct 2018

>  Any sites you recommend? 

Plenty Of Fish is a dating site. I found love there. Lots of sex too.

In reply to aln:

Thanks

That is the site my sister found her husband on.

S

monzaman 13 Oct 2018

If I found my partner on a dating website I'd be wanting a good chat with her about our relationship....

In reply to monzaman:

Hi.

What I was saying is that she met her now husband on Plenty of Fish.

In reply to monzaman:

True. Lmao

FactorXXX 14 Oct 2018
In reply to monzaman:

> If I found my partner on a dating website I'd be wanting a good chat with her about our relationship....

Even if they said you could watch, or perhaps even join in?

I have received a message from a lady on Fitness Singles through their messaging service but in order for me to read that message I have to subscribe to FS. 

Any advice what to do will be helpful.

https://www.fitness-singles.com/subscribe

Sav

jkarran 15 Oct 2018

> Any advice what to do will be helpful.

Join if you want to and can afford it or delete your profile and switch to a free service now so you're not left wondering. If you want to meet people you need two way comms.

jk

Post edited at 10:15
 subtle 15 Oct 2018

> I have received a message from a lady on Fitness Singles through their messaging service but in order for me to read that message I have to subscribe to FS. 

> Any advice what to do will be helpful.

> https://www.fitness-singles.com/subscribe

Do it, do it, do it..........

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

In reply to subtle:

God advice.

Thank you.

Sav

Post edited at 13:10
In reply to jkarran:

Thank you for your advice.

Sav

Which is more trustworthy: E-Harmony, Match.com or POF?

S

Post edited at 21:57
Andy Gamisou 21 Oct 2018

> Which is more trustworthy: E-Harmony, Match.com or POF?

> S

Depends really. POF is frowned upon anywhere except at Fontainebleau.

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Yiassou.

Plenty of Fish! I am registered with them now....

But I may register with the others as well.

Sav

Graham T 21 Oct 2018

Used it about 9 years ago, now here married and with a 3 yr old. So it worked for us.

In reply to Graham T:

Now you have to Upgrade and subscribe to read messages.

subtle 25 Oct 2018

How did you get on with your quest?

I really do hope you find a soulmate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...