UKC

Has UKC forgotten about Brexit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 09 Jan 2019

It was certainly the hottest topic before Christmas, now barely mentioned, strange.

Or will things now hot up again now that the Govt. has been told it has to publish its Plan B within 3 days if its Plan A is defeated?

Pyreneenemec 09 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

Perhaps, it's similar to discussing  death....................inevitable, so why bother !

RomTheBear 09 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

Well all that's happening is parliamentary  theatrics and useless amendments but nobody is actually doing anything to fix the issues....

Heike 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Yup, it's a disaster waiting to happen. I have exhausted myself the last couple of years talking about it, I can't take it anymore, so I just avoid it now.....unless someone asks ... (then I might oblige - at length ...) It's the calm before the storm. The embarrassment as well...I can't be bothered anymore to explain to people across the world why "my" government is doing such a thing. The one that I am not even allowed to elect

So, short answer, people are worn out...for now (that's my guess) But they won't keep quiet for long!

Post edited at 16:02
In reply to subtle:

Brexit? What’s that?

Trevers 09 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

I eventually came to see the error of my ways, and realised that Brexit is verily the way, the truth and the light! Long may it reign!

krikoman 09 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

> It was certainly the hottest topic before Christmas, now barely mentioned, strange.

> Or will things now hot up again now that the Govt. has been told it has to publish its Plan B within 3 days if its Plan A is defeated?

it's 2019 init, Brexit is soooo last year darling.

Robert Durran 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Subtle and Heike:

> Well all that's happening is parliamentary theatrics and useless amendments.....

> Yup, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

The theatrics and amendments are just manoeuvring for position before the shit well and truly hits the fan after the commons rejects May's plan next week. All hell will then be let loose and, judging by some of the stuff already happening during this "calm" such as the abuse of Anna Soubry yesterday, it is inevitably going to get very ugly indeed.  There is still all to play for and, if the outcome is either no deal or remain, there are going to be a lot of very angry people for many years to come.

Personally I'm feeling quite optimistic that we will end up remaining after an eventual second referendum.

Post edited at 16:52
 john arran 09 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

May has been very successfully playing for time, allowing things to stall for as long as possible - hence very little discussion. This week, and particularly next week, it's likely she'll no longer be able to keep up that strategy, so there should be plenty more to argue about on here very soon.

Meanwhile, Yvette Cooper is doing a sterling job as unofficial stand-in for the AWOL leader of the opposition.

wercat 09 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

now is war

> It was certainly the hottest topic before Christmas, now barely mentioned, strange.

Heike 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

Very positive / optimistic of you! Hope you are right! I would love that, but I am feeling a bit more like I am in a Bruce Springsteen  song... on a down bound train.

Cú Chullain 09 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

I imagine like the various other forums that I visit any Brexit thread invariably descends into the same rehashed shitfights between the same people and for the average person reading them it is akin to being fisted by an angry god.

Dr.S at work 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

good analogy, unfortunately the 'gods' have fists like pygmies (or my arse has got very slack).

RomTheBear 09 Jan 2019

> The theatrics and amendments are just manoeuvring for position before the shit well and truly hits the fan after the commons rejects May's plan next week. All hell will then be let loose and, judging by some of the stuff already happening during this "calm" such as the abuse of Anna Soubry yesterday, it is inevitably going to get very ugly indeed.  There is still all to play for and, if the outcome is either no deal or remain, there are going to be a lot of very angry people for many years to come.

> Personally I'm feeling quite optimistic that we will end up remaining after an eventual second referendum.

I'd like to be as optimistic as you, except that as far as I can tell a no-deal that each party can blame on each other seem a lot more likely than a second referendum which would be sure to split both parties.

all the theatrics we are seeing now are just people covering their asses to not be blamed for no deal. As you would have observed all of the amendments the opposition and pro Eu tories have passed are pretty much all useless and do nothing to prevent a no deal.

That, is, because, they don't actually want to prevent a no-deal, they just don't wanna take the blame for it.

in fact the more labour shouts they want to avoid no-deal, the more I am convinced that their strategy is to force the tories into a no-deal.

In reply to RomTheBear:

I hope and think you are wrong. No deal is so unthinkable, except to a relatively small number of nutters, that it will not be allowed to happen. Theresa May is bluffing about no deal - she may be pig headed and very stubborn about her deal, but she is not so stupid that she would actually force ino deal on the country once her deal is properly dead. The commons and, if asked, the people will support her in rejecting it.

RomTheBear 09 Jan 2019

> I hope and think you are wrong. 

I always hope to be wrong !

> No deal is so unthinkable, except to a relatively small number of nutters, that it will not be allowed to happen.

I find it it very thinkable.

The art of British politics seem to be of doing exactly the opposite of what is said. Hearing so many MPs saying they won't allow no-deal actually lowers my confidence that there won't be no-deal.

> Theresa May is bluffing about no deal - she may be pig headed and very stubborn about her deal, but she is not so stupid that she would actually force ino deal on the country once her deal is properly dead. The commons and, if asked, the people will support her in rejecting it.

Well let's say I hope she has a plan. But without parliamentary support, she can do nothing. And nothing leads to no-deal...

Post edited at 18:00
 FactorXXX 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> I imagine like the various other forums that I visit any Brexit thread invariably descends into the same rehashed shitfights between the same people and for the average person reading them it is akin to being fisted by an angry god.

I'm mighty Thor!
You're sore? I'm so sore I can barely sit down!

In reply to RomTheBear:

> Well let's say I hope she has a plan. But without parliamentary support, she can do nothing. And nothing leads to no-deal...

She would have parliamentary support for delaying leaving on 29th March.

john arran 09 Jan 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

To avoid a no-deal exit, parliament will seek an A50 extension, so will effectively instruct May to request one. The rEU will agree only if a People's Vote is held during the extension period, and parliament will agree to that, thereby also giving May the cop-out she's angling for, i.e. being seen to be pushing for the 'will-o-the-people' Brexit but being thwarted by parliament and then, ultimately, by the people.

It's the only outcome that could see her continue as PM with any semblance of credibility.

Removed User 09 Jan 2019
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I'm mighty Thor!

> You're sore? I'm so sore I can barely sit down!

Better told when she has a lisp.

RomTheBear 09 Jan 2019
In reply to john arran:

> To avoid a no-deal exit, parliament will seek an A50 extension.

As I pointed out, I am not convinced that parliament is hell bent on avoiding no deal.

The reason I believe this is simply that in TWO YEARS MPs have done nothing meaningful to exclude it. Only posturing, little games, meaningless motions etc etc...

I'm looking at actions, not words.

RomTheBear 09 Jan 2019

> She would have parliamentary support for delaying leaving on 29th March.

You can't delay without a plan though. The EU will not allow it. And there is no majority for any plan.

john arran 09 Jan 2019
In reply to RomTheBear:

You're right, but it's brinkmanship. Neither the Tories nor JC want to officially rule it out but then only the ERG crazies actually support it, so parliament will be very much wanting to avoid it, as long as they end up getting the chance - which today seems to have become one notch more likely.

Tyler 09 Jan 2019
In reply to wercat:

> now is war

Yep, every Saturday apparently

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1082666222670483458?s=19

Strange that, with only 80 odd days to go we are prevented from doing anything while we wait for a vote the result of which we knew about a month ago.

Pete Pozman 09 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

Lots of new years resolutions to shut the feck up about it?

I'm finding the Trump saga more compelling. One by one his "base" are waking up each morning to find out there's an imbecilic criminal in the White House.

It's interesting that one of the Brexiteers' main promises are premised on a fantastic trade deal given to us by Trump and the rules of a World Trade Organisation that Trump wants to abolish...

Bang goes the resolution!

sg 09 Jan 2019

I agree with your general thrust although I'm honestly not sure now that an eventual remain is a better option overall than Norway + soft brexit type option, if the latter makes the wound healing more manageable in the long term.

Parliament is trying its very best, I think, to explore a broader range of options such that a majority can ultimately coalesce around the most reasonable compromise. TM has clearly been reckless / naive / whatever, in assuming that she can negotiate any deal with the EU without first being close to a consensus in parliament. The problem is that many in the country just think 'to hell with the lot of them' and default to assuming all politicians are self-interested power hungry maniacs on the make. So they will continue to have a negative view of parliament.

pec 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Trevers:

> I eventually came to see the error of my ways, and realised that Brexit is verily the way, the truth and the light! Long may it reign!

Congratulations, my efforts have not been in vain

In reply to sg:

> I agree with your general thrust although I'm honestly not sure now that an eventual remain is a better option overall than Norway + soft brexit type option, if the latter makes the wound healing more manageable in the long term.

But are there many people who think rationally that a Norway type option is better than remain? But yes, it would, technically "honour the referendum result" without inflicting the damage of leaving the single market and stopping freedom of movement. 

sg 09 Jan 2019

> But are there many people who think rationally that a Norway type option is better than remain? But yes, it would, technically "honour the referendum result" without inflicting the damage of leaving the single market and stopping freedom of movement. 

Exactly. The pain that the process is causing will clearly not be completely ameliorated by remaining. No one wants a compromise but it looks like there must be one . As an avowed remainer, soft brexit is always better than hard brexit.

I still hope we stay in but worry, perhaps unnecessarily, about the consequences. 

Tyler 09 Jan 2019
In reply to sg:

> if the latter makes the wound healing more manageable in the long term.

It 100% won't, the people who you are afraid of will continue to bleat regardless of he out come. 

sg 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Tyler:

> It 100% won't, the people who you are afraid of will continue to bleat regardless of he out come. 

Well yes, I'm sure you're right. Having said that, parliament has to try and reach a solution which can at least be seen as some kind of compromise. What parliament wants as a body, has to be seen to be some kind of representation of the will of the people (even if, in a straight split between hard brexit and remain, there's no doubt that the majority of MPs would have backed remain). As an outcome now, remain clearly cannot be seen as that, given the first referendum result. If a second referendum is the outcome now then parliament (assuming they have more say in the matter than the government), has to ensure that the question is a reasonable one. If the outcome of that is remain then good, and if the bleating continues, well at least parliament will have tried to negotiate and explore some of the compromise ground which TM has signally failed to do since setting out the red lines.

Post edited at 19:57
 jethro kiernan 09 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

Just watch the Dutch news whilst working there, European medical agency is in the process of moving to Amsterdam.

complete bafflement on the part of my Dutch colleagues as to this act of self mutilation as we turf out an international organisation that not only employs thousands of skilled and educated people but also draws in many more organisations into its orbit.

and added to our reputation as a centre of excellence in the field of medicine and education, reputations that are disappearing rapidly.

JamieA 09 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

What's Brexit?

In reply to JamieA:

oi, I asked that already...!

;-P

(Four Brexit threads on the go now- it seems that ukc’s Brexit amnesia has worn off pretty quickly...!)

wercat 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Tyler:

things usually go quiet before the Big Show! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...