UKC

have ryan air tightened up on hand luggage size ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 21 Aug 2012
i know ryan air have a smaller size limit than easyjet , however our hand luggage was ok with ryanair last year but is actually 5cm bigger than thier 20cm guidelines. not worth the risk me thinks ?
 NorthernGrit 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123:

Is it a soft bag or hard? IME as long as you can stuff it into that size guide box any old how then it's fine. That's if they even ask. I've seen plenty of people get on with clearly too big hand luggage when the flights aren't full.
 andy 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123:
> i know ryan air have a smaller size limit than easyjet , however our hand luggage was ok with ryanair last year but is actually 5cm bigger than thier 20cm guidelines. not worth the risk me thinks ?

Nope - they (and several others, including FlyBE) have people going round the queue at the gate with cardboard measuring boxes checking anything that looks a bit marginal. £50 to check it in if it's too big.
 Blue Straggler 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123:
I noticed this a couple of years ago. Loads of "small suitcases" (you know, the type with some wheels and an extending handle, good for weekend breaks etc) are sold as "ideal for cabin baggage restrictions" and most of them indeed are - ON MOST AIRLINES. But yes, RyanAir "stole" 5cm of depth and a lot of those cases would no longer fit in the basket thing that they might make you test prior to boarding (there is always one at departure). Deffo not worth the risk. Just make sure it's compressible (not rigid like one that I used to have) and not full to the brim.
 Richard Carter 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123:

I wouldn't risk it, on the last Ryanair flight I was on they were measuring bags. Wasn't a problem for me though - after the first few people they declared there wasn't enough space for luggage so all bags had to go into the hold. Was very annoying as I'd only taken hand luggage to get through the airport quicker :-P

Richard Carter 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I suspect they have non-standard dimension limits purely to catch people out :-P
 Neil Williams 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123:

Ryanair are always strict as the staff get commission on the "fines" (as I understand it). Would not risk it - surprised you got away with it once.

Neil
 Oujmik 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123: I saw loads of people turned away (presumably to pay a fine or re-pack their bag) from check in on a Ryan Air flight from Mallorca earlier this year due to their luggage being too big. I'd say don't risk it.
 mypyrex 21 Aug 2012
My solution is simple. I've not used Ryanair since 2007.
 SFM 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123:

Just checked and although Easyjet and BA have the same size allowance (56x45x25) BMI is smaller(55x40x23). Wonder if that will change as the merger progresses. You can pretty much guarantee that none of them will be as officious as Ryan air at policing that though!
 timjones 21 Aug 2012
In reply to SFM:
> (In reply to mike123)
>
> Just checked and although Easyjet and BA have the same size allowance (56x45x25) BMI is smaller(55x40x23). Wonder if that will change as the merger progresses. You can pretty much guarantee that none of them will be as officious as Ryan air at policing that though!

I can't help but wonder how I manage to avoid this allegedly "officious" behaviour by Ryanair?

Does "officious" mean catching people who don't follow the simple rules
In reply to timjones:

Probably the same way (tempting fate now!) I have never had a parking or speeding ticket despite continually hearing people whining about both.

If you use Ryanair, always always read the T&Cs and fees pages, every single time in case they change anything and in full.

Other than expensive coffee, which I purchased willingly, Ryanair has never ripped me off with any of their fees despite having used them a few times. Play the game right and they won't get you either.

Neil
 SFM 21 Aug 2012
In reply to timjones:

Pride before a fall is the phrase that springs to mind....

It does surprise me at how insistent Ryanair are about enforcing such "simple rules". It could seem that they are looking to profit from minor errors by their customers. Btw I no longer use Ryanair having gotten fed up of their penny pinching ways.

Just a thought: A few years back it was the norm for banks and credit card companies to charge £25 per missed or late payment. That has now been challenged and deemed to be punative or disproportionate. Oly a matter of time before a similar challenge is launched.
In reply to mike123: The best advice is to avoid flying with them at all costs, because their entire business model is built around trying to catch you out and then charging you for it. The flying bit is incidental to them.
In reply to Neil Williams: I tend to agree but they are always my last choice and then only when I have no other sensible option.

Al
 doz generale 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123: i find ryan air to be random at best for all aspects of thier service. They dont allways check bag size and they also don't always honor the priority boarding tickets! Also they don't always automatically let you get on first if you have loads of kids/buggys etc so wath out if you are traveling with young kids. The good thing about flying with toddlers is that as you have to pay for thier seats they get the same hand luggage allowance as an adult.
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Same here. I'm not a fan of them, I just think people who get caught out with them needn't, the same as people needn't get parking tickets or speeding tickets accidentally just by spending a small amount of time to check what they are doing and not to assume others will look out for them.

Neil
 SGD 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123: When we flew back from Kalymnos in May Ryan Air pretty much had a '2nd checkin' in the seating area where everyone then had to cue again and have their hand luggage checked again. This upset alot of people as they had just checked in and then been to duty free and made a few purchases as on the inbound flight a week earlier we were all informed that you could carry 1 extra bag of duty free as well as your normal hand luggage (it was also clearly stated on the ticket that this would not be the case on the return flight). All these people then had to try and squeeze their duty free into their hand luggage and have it re-measured. The thing is we were there with our soft 40 litre rucksacs that were clearly half empty and they didn't bat an eye lid as we would have been able to squash them up to fit in sizing box.
In reply to SGD: That story sums them up nicely.
 Noelle 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123:

You've got to contend with the varying bag dimensions/weights for regional flights as well. Watch out, as some flights reduce the KGs allowed AND measurements for bags on flights within the UK. Other companies do this as well, but Ryanair are the stingiest IME.

Also: flying from Dublin has never been a problem when using Ryanair. I've never had hand luggage measured and have even got away with a few cheeky KGs for checked-in bags. Leeds-Bradford is always a complete jobsworth nightmare in comparison.
 andy 21 Aug 2012
In reply to timjones:
> (In reply to SFM)
> [...]
>
> I can't help but wonder how I manage to avoid this allegedly "officious" behaviour by Ryanair?
>
> Does "officious" mean catching people who don't follow the simple rules

Me neither. I'd tend to fly with another carrier given the choice, but all airlines have weight/size limits on hand luggage, all (at times) get keener at enforcing it and all (at times) will charge you if you don't comply.

Just read the stuff - we watched an entire French family emptying out shampoo and goodness knows what out of their hand luggage because they didn't read the security rules (not Ryanair's) and then being charged to check same bags in because they were WAY over the size limit (which is Ryanairs).
OP mike123 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123: thanks all. found a carry on that will be ok. as a few have said ryanair are my carrier of last resort. i know you just have to "follow the rules" but they just seem to tweak them to catch people out . i wonder how many people are caught out by this every day ?
estivoautumnal 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
> My solution is simple. I've not used Ryanair since 2007.

Same here. I haven't used them for a while (only used them twice) and hope never to use them again. Horrible airline, horrible experience. Some things in life are worth paying a bit extra for, avoiding the 'R' word is one of them.
 kevin stephens 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
> My solution is simple. I've not used Ryanair since 2007.

I do 12+ return flights a year with Ryan Air. No problems, cheap reliable and punctual. Of course you have to read, understand and comply with the conditions and weigh this against the bottom line price, which is still very good value IF you book long enough in advance.

I also do a few long haul business class flights each year and appreciate the extra service (but glad the client is paying)
 Mikkel 21 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123:
> (In reply to mike123) i wonder how many people are caught out by this every day ?

Many, as the world is full of stupid people
In reply to kevin stephens: My sister in law got hammered for £60 for not having printed her boarding pass. Seems like the public are finally waking up to their totally unreasonable behaviour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/9490368/Woman-forced-to-pay-200-to...
 Rampikino 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:

Yes, though the "unreasonable" bit is largely the scale of the charge rather than the fact that they are entitled to charge it.
 Mikkel 22 Aug 2012

I wish it was more common in daily life to charge people for being stupid.
I think we should have a special forum for these threads, the posts with people complaining about speeding tickets should be in the same one.
 Neil Williams 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Rampikino:

Their argument is that they could simply do away with check-in desks if people didn't pay the fee, ergo the fee should be the cost of the desk divided by the number of people using it plus a sensible profit margin. Given the cost of staff, it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't actually too far wide of the mark, TBH.

Some of Ryanair's fees are a bit subtle. But there is nothing subtle about this one - it is very clearly stated on the website when you book. So in their case - time to go on the hunt for an internet cafe to print them, or similar.

All that said...easyJet do not charge for use of the check-in desk except for bags. This makes them rather better, as they are in many ways.

Neil
In reply to Neil Williams:

All that said, I think about £10 per boarding pass would be a reasonable charge, and I wouldn't mind if all airlines imposed such a fee at that level as it would reduce the queues caused by people who booked their tickets on a PC with a printer and simply couldn't be arsed to log on again to print them out.

But I prefer easyJet's approach of a month beforehand as few people go on holiday for longer than that, so you can at least print all of them before you go.

Neil
In reply to Mikkel: On the contrary, speeding is an offence. Charging £60 to print a boarding pass is just taking the p1ss.

But in a way you are right. Choosing Ryan Air to fly you anywhere is monumentally stupid, and it appears most do pay through the nose for this stupidity.

Mr_Yeti 22 Aug 2012
In reply to mike123:

Seriously people the cost of the flights are stupidly cheap! It cost me £100 to fly from Liverpool to Bergerac the other week, it costs more than that to get the train to london and would cost twice that to drive it!

If you are demanding stupidly cheap flights you can't complain about additional costs or service levels.

Granted they have some jobs worths there, i was boarding with my 'grab bag' a little bum bag with iphone, head phones and book and had to fit it in my ruc sack as i passed the boarding desk, 30 seconds later i am getting it out again to fit in the over head rack and holding people up in doing so.

Seriously tho just be aware of the charges and don't be a doughnut. You are flying 'cheapie cheapie' airways!

"Choosing Ryan Air to fly you anywhere is monumentally stupid"

Au contraire, it is very cheap. But the reason it can be very cheap is that everyone has to conform to a standard system, because standard systems are cheap to run. Don't do that and it'll cost you. Do that and you can have a cheap punctual flight.

You get what you pay for.

Neil
 timjones 22 Aug 2012
> (In reply to Mikkel) On the contrary, speeding is an offence. Charging £60 to print a boarding pass is just taking the p1ss.
>
> But in a way you are right. Choosing Ryan Air to fly you anywhere is monumentally stupid, and it appears most do pay through the nose for this stupidity.

Speeding is breaking a set of rules in exactly the same way that not printing your Ryanair boarding pass is trying to board with a bag that is too big is breaking Ryanairs rules. If you can't follow those rules and don't like the punishment then by all means fly with someone else but don't insult the intelligance of those who are capable of following rules in order to get a cheap flight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...