UKC

Hay fever and snow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 12 Apr 2021

You shouldn’t get hay fever when it snows. Fact. But I did yesterday. Bonkers. 

StefanB 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Hay fever is just one allergy. Many allergy sufferers develop different allergies all the time, some stay, some go away. Histamine response can be very strange. 

nikoid 13 Apr 2021

The last few days I've been waking up sneezing like a madman. I go through phases like this and it appears to be unrelated to the seasons. I wish I knew what causes it!

Jenny C 13 Apr 2021
In reply to nikoid:

Mine is generally related to changes in the weather and as you say can strike year round. It is also much less severe when camping, on holiday or simply outside - suspect it's pollution rather than pollen. 

Doug 13 Apr 2021

Lots of pollen here, mostly from trees. And it snowed yesterday morning - maybe 10 cm. So by late afternoon when the sun appeared we had both snow on the ground & pollen in the air.

But also are you sure it was pollen causing your allergy ? I'm allergic to pollen but also a long list of other stuff.

wercat 13 Apr 2021

is that guidance or law?

> You shouldn’t get hay fever when it snows. 

1philjones1 13 Apr 2021
In reply to nikoid:

I have the same, together with a blocked nose during the night. After lots of trial and error, it appears to be my pillow or, more precisely, dust mites in the pillow. Who knew you are supposed to wash pillows, and at 60 degrees or more to kill the little f***ers, if you want to reduce the effect. A lot of pillows can’t be washed or must be washed at low temps, so may be worth having a look at changing the ones you’ve got?

Then again, could be something completely different!

Jenny C 13 Apr 2021
In reply to 1philjones1:

Sticking your pillow in the freezer is also supposed to be an effective way to kill dustmites.

In reply to Doug:

Defo pollen. I’m a long term sufferer. Not as bad as when I was younger though. I’ve got more allergic to early tree pollen and less allergic to grass. And agree with others - the weather plays little part. 

nikoid 13 Apr 2021
In reply to 1philjones1:

> I have the same, together with a blocked nose during the night. After lots of trial and error, it appears to be my pillow or, more precisely, dust mites in the pillow. Who knew you are supposed to wash pillows, and at 60 degrees or more to kill the little f***ers, if you want to reduce the effect. A lot of pillows can’t be washed or must be washed at low temps, so may be worth having a look at changing the ones you’ve got?

> Then again, could be something completely different!

I think we should probably buy some new pillows, they must be past their best by now!

rlrs 13 Apr 2021
In reply to 1philjones1:

One can buy mite proof coverings for pillows and even mattrasses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...