UKC

Hedgehogs and Planning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 muppetfilter 11 Sep 2020

I'm wondering if the UKC hive mind can point me in the right direction. I live on the edge of Sheffield and my street is home to at least four Hedgehogs. A Neighbour has been granted a planning application for a Garden built dwelling , the plans make no mention of any ecological issues which I am under the impression Hedgehogs are and the building will affect potential nesting sites. So far I haven't had a response from the planning dept so i'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation with our awesome prickly chums ? (the Hedgehogs not Sheffield City Council)

EddInaBox 11 Sep 2020
In reply to muppetfilter:

It's fine, there are plenty of trees in Sheffield that they can nest in instead.

OP muppetfilter 11 Sep 2020
In reply to EddInaBox:

The Council Cut all the Street Trees Down, I'm looking for advice around the NERC act though if you can help ?

EddInaBox 11 Sep 2020

I know, but sorry I can't help with your question.

Tringa 11 Sep 2020

Hedgehog do have some protection but as far as I can find it is not particularly strong.

They are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 but the protection relates to it being illegal to kill or capture them using certain methods. This is of little use as your neighbour, I assume, has no wish to kill or capture any hedgehogs.

There could be local plans in regard to hedgehogs but they would come from the council and you've said they haven't responded to you so far.

Other than finding if hedgehogs use your neighbours garden for 'nesting' and if so offering to take any (if you can provide them with alternative places to rest up) that might be disturbed by any work I don't think there is much you can do.

Dave

Neil Henson 11 Sep 2020

Probably not a lot you can do about your neighbour's plans I'm afraid. However, you can perhaps mitigate the effects of it by making your own garden as hedgehog friendly as possible by:

Providing hedgehog hibernation boxes (I now have 7, including two I built myself from left over building materials).

Providing suitable food and water (I get my hedgehog food from a company called Ark Wildlife - always get great service from them).

Providing easy access e.g. openings under / through fences.

Providing cover e.g. hedgerow, shrubs etc...

Apologies, I expect you know the above already, but thought it worth mentioning.

Great that you are doing your bit for these wonderful creatures.

Neil

OP muppetfilter 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Neil Henson:

Thanks for the reply and great advice ,judging by the poop i keep finding on my lawn I already have a few regularly visiting my garden through the Privet hedges. 

I've been researching a bit more and did find some stuff about recent changes to their conservation status under  IUCN in July so do require an ecologists survey and mitigation on the plans. 

I will be attempting to get Hedgehog road signs up but I'm not sure of my chances as we are on a very unfriendly 40mph road.

FactorXXX 11 Sep 2020

Probably not of direct help to you with your current problem, but this 'change.org' petition might be of interest to you and others:
https://www.change.org/p/help-save-britain-s-hedgehogs-with-hedgehog-highwa...

Timmd 11 Sep 2020

Sheffield and Rotherham Wildlife Trust have been doing hedgehog related things recently, recently being from 3 years ago up to this point, they'd be able to give you any and all available information towards trying to help the hedgehogs. 

Post edited at 14:32

Get a wildlife camera. They're awesome for seeing your nightly visitors. Mine is a Bushnell. 

youtube.com/watch?v=V9sg3kGDw60&

Hedgehog at 4:50

Neil Henson 11 Sep 2020

Fantastic. Hope all goes well with it.

mick taylor 11 Sep 2020
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Excellent !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...