UKC

Help choosing a mattress!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Erioeweolspo 30 Aug 2019

HI
I need a new mattress for me and my wife we want superking size. 

I went to Bensons for Beds and tried quite a few mattresses, and I have made a shortlist of about 5 I like. Thing is I really like the higher prices mattresses the best. So £1500 to £2000 mark. They're all pillow tops, so maybe thats why i think they they're better than the ones without pillow top. 

But I have discovered these beds are all exclusive to Bensons so I cant see what other shops are selling them for. There's no competition this way driving prices down, this way of selling would mean prices can go up! So I get the impression I will be way overpaying for these mattresses due to the brand, and the way they market and sell these. Like I think Sealy would sell the same mattresses elsewhere but under another name, and so I wonder if I could get them cheaper elsewhere but how would I know. 

But then I did not think any of the lower cost beds were as good. But maybe its because a lot of them did not have pillow tops. So maybe if I add a separate pillow top they may feel the same. But how can I know without bringing in a pillow top and trying it out? 

So I am just not sure what to do now. If I buy one online I have not tried it, what if its not as good as the one below. If I buy one I tried in the store I like maybe I have overpaid because maybe there is an equivalent I could get online, but how could I know. 

Then do I get one with a pillow top because they were comfy, or should I get one without, but then add my own pillow top (then I can always change it without changing the mattress). But then how can I choose the right mattress that would be as comfy as the ones I like above when I do add a pillow top? 

I'm really not sure what to do! Its a lot of money and I dont sleep well so I really want to have a great mattress but I dont want to be ripped off, and I feel like thats what the mattress industry is doing. but please correct me if I am wrong. If Bensons for Beds £1500 to £2000 mattress prices really are a good deal for what you get then I will do it. 

Any advice? Especially about pillow top, maybe I can make my own equiavalent bed to these below using my own pillow top but saving lots of money. 

These are the mattresses I like in Bensons:
Sealy Monte Carlo: £1899 (very soft so feels luxurious - has pillow top)
Sealy Maldives: £1549 (bit firmer than above, still soft - has pillow top)
Staples Grandeur: £1449 (bit firmer than the Sealys, still nice - has pillow top)
Staples Splendour: £1049 (not as good as the above at all, but price is much better - has pillow top)
iGel Orion: £1399 (has a memory foam firmness to it)
Sensafoam Memory Active 9000: £949 (feels a bit more artifical than the above, which felt really natural, but price is reasonable for the feel)
Homylink pillow top pocket sprung mattress : £200 (Evaluation is high in Amazon, but has not been used)

I also went to Dreams and their Flaxbys were lovely, but fa more expensive. The Sealys were nicer and cheaper.

Rigid Raider 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Erioeweolspo:

Can't advse you but having recently watched Greg Wallace shouting his way through a mattress factory tour I now understand that with mattresses, just like with paint and just about any other manufactured commodity, an enormous vairiety of qualities is possible depending on what ingredients are added to the mix. In the end comparison is impossible and you just have to take a chance; I would say that heavier mattresses are usually better made with more pocket springs and thicker covers.  

I prefer hard mattresses but Mrs RR prefers them extremely soft so we opted for a zip & link setup, i.e. two singles that zip together. This does make it possible for a single person to rotate the mattress without suffering a hernia from the weight.

Thrudge 30 Aug 2019

Based on recommendation by a friend, I got a Hypnos and love it.  They're very much on the firm end of the spectrum and helped a lot with back problems I was having at the time.  Super kings are around £700, so well inside your budget, and you could add your own pillow top.

Best of luck.  A good mattress can be life-changing stuff.

jethro kiernan 30 Aug 2019

Try John Lewis, a pretty good selection, also get a good quality topper natural fibre adds comfort and longevity 

nniff 30 Aug 2019

IKEA - make sure you get the size right as there are numerous slight variations in definition between the UK and elsewhere.  Our spare bed has an IKEA mattress and it is always highly praised by those who use it.

Dark-Cloud 30 Aug 2019

Benson's are overpriced and their service and after sales is terrible, go to an independent.

La benya 30 Aug 2019

You do all realise you’re talking to a bot don’t you?

Iamgregp 30 Aug 2019

Have you looked at any of those new delivery-then-we-take-it-back-if-you-dont-like-it mob like Eve, or those blue ones that I can't remember the name of?  I think they're mean to be quite good and a reasonable cost.

Edit: Looked them up, Simba... But one called Emma seems to be more highly rated https://topmattresses.co.uk/mattress-in-a-box/ 

Post edited at 12:38
 Dark-Cloud 30 Aug 2019
In reply to La benya:

I guessed that after i had posted.

TimMorgan 30 Aug 2019

Have a look at John Ryan matresses, they are built in a similar manner to Vispring which are £££ but are direct sales so much cheaper. They will build your mattress to you specification and discuss it with you, I like mine which was about £550 - but they do much more expensive ones too (with unicorn fluff etc). 

Thrudge 30 Aug 2019
In reply to La benya:

Nope, I took it at face value.  Could you elaborate, please?  Genuine question, I'm trying to learn, not questioning your judgement.

Iamgregp 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Christ, why on earth would somebody give me a dislike for this post.  Someone asks for advice, I make a suggestion and get a dislike?

Whoever you are have a day off yeah?

La benya 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Thrudge:

No problem!

The user registered today with zero info on their bio. (Now suspended by the mods). 

The subject isn’t in any way relevant to the forum- understandable for an established member but not a newbie. There must have been a better place to ask that question!

It’s way too detailed and not written like a normal person would write. Just reads like an infomercial. 

Theres always a chance that it isn’t a bot and this chap is just a little weird!

La benya 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Maybe because feeding a bot in this way encourages whoever controls it to come again and again and again because they’ve found a ready market for their crap...?

just a thought. 

Iamgregp 30 Aug 2019
In reply to La benya:

Oh right.  Thought it was a user. Right you are then...

Toerag 30 Aug 2019

I wonderwhat the bot is trying to achieve though?

Iamgregp 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Toerag:

A good night's sleep?  

Thrudge 30 Aug 2019
In reply to La benya:

Thanks for the feedback, it's very much appreciated.  Agreed that the post seems a bit weird - lots of detail, over-enthusiastic, no posting history.  Spotted all that, but to me it never added up to 'bot' because of ignorance - I had no idea bots could be that sophisticated.  

Could still be real, of course, but given your comments I'm inclined to think not.  Thank you kindly for the pointer - I shall be more cautious in future.

profitofdoom 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Toerag:

> I wonder what the bot is trying to achieve though?

Looks like advertising to me

balmybaldwin 30 Aug 2019
In reply to profitofdoom:

weird advertising

EddInaBox 31 Aug 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

UKC's filters have taken out the link, it's spam for a 'pillow top' whatever one of those is, the exact same post (but with the link) appears here:

https://www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1265690-Help-choosing-a-mattress-smi...

birdie num num 31 Aug 2019

You need to get a real dirty one.

birdie num num 31 Aug 2019

.....oh sorry.... wrong thread 

Tringa 31 Aug 2019

As you have said you don't sleep well then trying a mattress in a shop is probably the way to go, that or as noted elsewhere, one of those mattresses you can try and then return it if you are not happy.

However, I think one of the most important aspects of a bed is the base and it can have a big impact on the overall comfort.

If you like a firm bed have a look at a base something like this -

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/furniture/pdp/17-stories-gifford-bed-frame-u00016...

Dave

La benya 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Tringa:

😅🙄 

Always helps to read the thread first.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...