Home maintenance service

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 08 Jan 2022

We’re due to get a lodger soon and there will be long periods where we will be away.

To try and minimise any stress I wondered if general maintenance services exist? Like you could get from a letting agency if you rented a house out via them. 

We haven’t had any problems with our house but it would be a pain if something went wrong whilst we we were away. Due to the lack of problems, we’ve also not had to get a plumber/electrician etc in to do any work. Having only been here a year we therefore don’t have any contacts who we would ring in an emergency or if something went wrong.

Therefore I’m trying to work out the best way to manage things. Either get a bunch of numbers and just call around if something is needed, or get something like the British Gas service plans which offer emergency plumbing cover. And then try to find something similar for electrics.

Any advice on this kind of thing would be much appreciated. We would normally deal with things as they come along, but having someone else living here means I’m keen to make sure it’s all okay for them when we’re away.

In reply to James Malloch:

I keep hearing an advert on the radio for British Gas saying sign up now and we will cover your electrics and plumbing as well as the boiler.

Don't know if it's any good though. I was working with an ex British gas engineer not long ago who quit. The final straw was the lack of servicing done on the service cotntracts, he said they were instructed to test and if the results were okay sign it off as serviced rather than actually service to make sure it stayed fine. 

 Babika 09 Jan 2022
In reply to Dax H:

This isn't just British Gas! The last 2 gas safety certificates I had the engineer apparently spent about 10 mins even though I paid for a service. 

Unless you actually stand over them it's difficult to prove when they tick the "serviced" box. Seems like a licence to print money

 Jon Stewart 09 Jan 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> Don't know if it's any good though

I wouldn't touch British Gas with your bargepole.

 arch 09 Jan 2022
In reply to James Malloch:

We're with BG and they've been very good. When our boiler packed up, they were the the only company who would come out. We did have to join their care plan though, but at the time it was only £12 a month, and the part they replaced on our boiler was £125. We've since had other CH parts changed. We have our drains covered as well. I would recommend them.

 arch 09 Jan 2022
In reply to James Malloch:


A dislike for stating an opinion. UKH at it's best.

 Billhook 09 Jan 2022
In reply to James Malloch:

We have plenty of holiday lets here, and there numerous companies which will do the sort of thing you want.  I'm sure there must be quite a few similiar individuals/companies who do what you want for rented landlord flats etc.,   

I haven't got a clue what you'd google to find one but "Property and rentals Management/maintenance " throws up lots of similar services.  There must be lots in Leeds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...