UKC

Home School - how to block website?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So doing my usual checking in on the two sprogs. She's being as diligent and enthusiastic as ever. He makes a shifty close tab/window manoeuvre... 

Looks like he's been idling during a Zoom lesson and playing a browser based game. 

How do I block a website or even better allow only the site school are using to do lessons (SeeSaw). Access to Google isn't required for the lessons but if he needs to do online research he can do it when I'm present. 

Windows 10 - Chrome browser - preferably free - preferably simple.

Googled it but I need walking through. 

Thanks. 

Neil Williams 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Easiest way is to do it on your router (then no way to circumvent it).  Check your ISP's help online, that will normally explain how to do it with whatever you are using.  With some you can do it by MAC address so only the kids' machines are blocked, and some will allow time ranges for restrictions too.

mrphilipoldham 12 Jan 2021

Yes if you log in to your router web interface then you'll have the options for limiting certain access. Sometimes the details are on a sticker on the router itself.. usually have to type something along the lines of http://192.168.1... in to your browser then enter a username and password. There will also likely be some software you could install on the machine too, but more likely to be circumvented by any tech savvy child!

Thanks. I'll do some digging in the Virgin help line. 

The Lemming 12 Jan 2021

Or go simple, install a remote viewer such as Teamviewer. Just have it on in the background so that he does not know that its running.

You can observe him when he thinks you are out of the room or not looking. You can see his screen at your leisure and close down anything he opens. He will just get frustrated when what he wants closes.

If the little bugger turns his computer off, then you will have to start the game all over.

😀

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

Edit

Or tell him its running, and you are observing.

Post edited at 11:06

Proving harder than I hoped. Aaaagh! 

mondite 12 Jan 2021

> Proving harder than I hoped. Aaaagh! 

Just ask your son for help. He will need to master it soon enough anyway so he can disable it.

In reply to mondite:

> Just ask your son for help. He will need to master it soon enough anyway so he can disable it.

The searches are reporting quite a lot of this! 😂 

In reply to Neil Williams:

> If it's Virgin, then:

It is, thanks. Next problem will be getting the account info from my wife (not known for her mastery of keeping important documents to hand). 

Good luck

cb294 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Good luck

... he will need it!

We essentially gave up, as our son is willing / able to invest more effort in circumvention than we are in putting up barriers. Well, hopefully it taught him some useful computer skills!

CB

In reply to cb294:

> ... he will need it!

> We essentially gave up, as our son is willing / able to invest more effort in circumvention than we are in putting up barriers. Well, hopefully it taught him some useful computer skills!

> CB

I'm giving up the will to resist as it is! 😂 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...