UKC

Houses in Liverpool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beth_may 23 Jan 2013
I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable folk of UKC for some housing advice.
I'll be moving to Liverpool in the summer for a placement year and am currently searching for a place to live.

Does anyone have any recommendations of areas to look at for houses, and areas to avoid? I've found a house in Mossley Hill off Allerton Road, and Gumtree assures me it is a much sought after area. Is it?

Thanks for your help
Beth
 Tall Clare 23 Jan 2013
In reply to beth_may:

That's a nice area - you could do a lot worse. I'd aim at Mossley Hill/Allerton/Sefton Park.

One of my friends runs a property letting business in south Liverpool, focusing on student/young professional properties - drop me a line through the forum if you'd like his details.
OP beth_may 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Thank you Yes please, that would be good.
 ryan_d 23 Jan 2013
In reply to beth_may: I second anywhere near sefton park/lark lane. Most of the young professionals and students live or base themselves around there. Nice bohemian area with a relaxed atmosphere. Only 6 minutes to town on the train, and another ten to the nearest train station for awesome walls or the climbing hangar.

Prices reflect the popularity but if you can afford it but i think its worth it.

Ryan

ps i live there too.
 Tall Clare 23 Jan 2013
In reply to beth_may:

You have mail
 Denni 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I was at a wedding on the 28th Dec and stayed at a B and B on Sefton Drive
and the owner of the B and B, the taxi driver that took me to the St Georges Hall, the coach driver that took me to the Palm House and the doorman at the Palm house told me in no uncertain terms NOT to walk about the place at night as I would be just asking for trouble.

Whether or not they meant because It was fairly obvious that I wasn't a local or just because it Isn't the done thing I don't know but my mate walked back from the Palm House to his B and B about 20 mins away and the police stopped him and drove him to the B an B telling him it probably wasn't the best idea to be walking home alone slightly drunk.

Seemed like a nice area to me but literally everyone I met told me not to take it upon myself to walk alone after dark.
 Tall Clare 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Denni:

I lived the other side of the park from Lark Lane for about four years, and I didn't walk round alone much after dark either. What can I say? Liverpool, like most big cities, has its fair share of dodgy characters.
 Alan M 23 Jan 2013
In reply to beth_may:

Where about in Liverpool is your placement?

Sefton has some nice places to live Crosby, blundellsands, Brighton le sands, hightown, Formby, maghull, lydiate, Lunt, section village etc. Easy access to Liverpool city centre, good train links, regular and numerous buses.

I live in section and I do not worry about walking around in the dark. Nice place to live and as safe as anywhere similar in the UK etc
 Alan M 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Alan M:

Section should say Sefton. I hate auto correct sometimes
 Swirly 23 Jan 2013
In reply to beth_may: It's one of the better areas to live but not much gong on unless you walk round the park (not the best idea for a young woman at night).

If I could move back to Liverpool (and I would immediately, job permitting) I'd go the other side of the park near Lark Lane. I lived there for 2 years and even when I moved a mile away really missed it.

Avoid anything in these postcodes: L4, L5, L6, L7, L8, L9, L10, L11, L12, L20, L27, L28, L30, L32, L33, L34, L35, L36.
 StephenS 23 Jan 2013
In reply to beth_may:
I'm from Liverpool, I live in Speke.
Like all cities there are good and bad areas. Mossley hill is a nice place, I went to school there. Surrounding areas of Lark Lane are ok. Some parts of Toxteth are best avoided. Id avoid croxteth, Norris Green and anfield. While some of these areas are ok, there are a lot of kids about who just want to cause trouble.

Smithdown road is a good area for young people. It's full of students and is relatively safe.

But like with anywhere, you just need to show common sense

If you have any questions just message me
In reply to beth_may:

Yeah it's great round there. Not far from Penny Lane and Sefton Park. Loads of students and professionals and great nightlife and restaurants. Lark lane is a good night out. Good transport links also and only a mile or so from town.
 Alan M 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Swirly:
> (In reply to beth_may) It's one of the better areas to live but not much gong on unless you walk round the park (not the best idea for a young woman at night).
>
> If I could move back to Liverpool (and I would immediately, job permitting) I'd go the other side of the park near Lark Lane. I lived there for 2 years and even when I moved a mile away really missed it.
>
> Avoid anything in these postcodes: L4, L5, L6, L7, L8, L9, L10, L11, L12, L20, L27, L28, L30, L32, L33, L34, L35, L36.

I think you are being a bit unfair and a bit general with your post code lottery. I live in L20, parts of it are shit not going to disagree there but parts of it are perfectly acceptable also!! So far i have had no safety issues and no issues walking around at night from the train station (orrell park) to my home. I have lived in the L20 postcode for the last 5 years.

Mooncat 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Swirly:

Some of the best houses in Liverpool in L36 mate, don't forget that covers Roby.
 Alan M 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Mooncat:
> (In reply to Swirly)
>
> Some of the best houses in Liverpool in L36 mate, don't forget that covers Roby.

The postcode list rules out some pretty decent areas to live. I agree parts of the postcode areas listed have their problems but parts are perfectly fine with great houses.

Before I moved to the L20 area I thought it all looked like the Hawthorne Road area etc. I then found an area of the postcode that was as good as anywhere I've lived before. I rented for a bit and liked it so much I bought a house. 100ft plus back garden, space for 5 cars on the drive, 3 bed 1930s semi and at a price I couldn't believe!! The street and surrounding streets are clean, quiet and no gangs. Everyone takes pride in their home majority owner occupier so nothing is run down or drab looking. I like the area I currently live in!!
 Mooncat 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Alan M:

I work on Stanley Road sandwiched between lloyds bar and Wetherspoons so only really see the bad side of L20, but a lot of the locals I work with like it round there so as you say obviously decent parts.
 Alan M 24 Jan 2013
In reply to Mooncat:
> (In reply to Alan M)
>
> I work on Stanley Road sandwiched between lloyds bar and Wetherspoons so only really see the bad side of L20, but a lot of the locals I work with like it round there so as you say obviously decent parts.

You work by me, I work literally 5minute walk from you along stanley road.. Agree parts of the town are shocking but theres areas that are very pleasant. I never considered it as a place to live at first as i heard horror stories etc. my first rental house in the L20 area was just off Stanley road looking at the north park...shit hole!! I wanted away daily. The part I live in now literally 5mins in the car from stanley road is a world of difference. I have no real complaints at the moment hence why I purchased a house.
 MLC 24 Jan 2013
In reply to beth_may:

I lived in Liverpool for about 5 years and in various locations. Stayed off Smithdown Road, Toxteh, Croxteth and around Sefton park/ lark Lane way.

Never had any problems in the so called Dodgy places. Would highy recommend nr Lark Lane; as others have said good area and also easy to get into town.
OP beth_may 24 Jan 2013
In reply to beth_may:

Thanks very much for all your help
 Swirly 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Alan M:
> So far i have had no safety issues and no issues walking around at night from the train station (orrell park) to my home. I have lived in the L20 postcode for the last 5 years.

I spent half my life living off Rice Lane, never got in any trouble at all but I wouldn't say it's a nice place to live and I can recall more than a couple of murders within 5 minutes walk of my front door.

Yes I was overgeneralising but if you don't know the area at all like the OP doesn't seem to then it's best to err on the side of caution. Face it if you see what seems a great deal on rent in any of those postcodes it's unlikely to be in the best of neighbourhoods.

IMA 26 Jan 2013
In reply to beth_may: Depends on
Budget
Where you work - and do you wish to commute
Flat or house share
City life, Suburbia or Rural.

The whole area of Aigburth / Moss Hill / Smithdown is hit and miss some great locations and terrible.

As mentioned above Penny Lane and Lark lane are seeing the young profession crowd about. Allerton aint bad, though I seem to remember a friend who lived there thinking it was overpriced

The city itself is a ghost town of flats (I think last data I saw suggested about 50% are empty). The Rope walks can be a nice area to live if you want something just outside the center, though the term does seem to extend into Toxteth according to some. (Stay away area same as the dingle)

If you were to look at Liverpool on Google maps, I would suggest avoiding anywhere North.

Ignore the post code comment above some perfectly good locations among them
 IMA 26 Jan 2013
In reply to beth_may: Ps try other places such as Spareroom.com tend to be quite good for house hunting. Used it for my placement in Lancaster along with street map and worked out ok.
 Neil Williams 26 Jan 2013
In reply to Swirly:

Nonsense. Aintree and the Old Roan (L9) are absolutely fine.

Neil
 Alan M 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Swirly:
> (In reply to Alan M)
> [...]
>
> I spent half my life living off Rice Lane, never got in any trouble at all but I wouldn't say it's a nice place to live and I can recall more than a couple of murders within 5 minutes walk of my front door.
>
> Yes I was overgeneralising but if you don't know the area at all like the OP doesn't seem to then it's best to err on the side of caution. Face it if you see what seems a great deal on rent in any of those postcodes it's unlikely to be in the best of neighbourhoods.

I agree about the rice lane area I wouldnt call it a nice place to live (visually) either but it doesn't necessarily mean to avoid it. The murder comment is pointless that would rule out a lot of towns in the UK some of them prestigious areas. The point being the OP would be foolish to just rent a place anywhere without visiting the area. Take the PR8/9 postcode area of merseyside. Most people would jump at the chance to live there amongst the mansions etc. A Google shows it as only a positive place to live etc... but you could quite easily end up on the central avenue area a frigging shit hole. I'd rather live on rice lane than the central avenue area.

A drive through the post code area will quickly reveal the parts to live in. Nearly All of those post codes you list have parts which are better to live in as a residential area than the place you advise. I know, I'm from Merseyside and have lived all over it from Southport to litherland to Bootle to orrell to aigburth and a few more.
 Alan M 27 Jan 2013
In reply to IMA:
> (In reply to beth_may) Depends on
> Budget
> Where you work - and do you wish to commute
> Flat or house share
> City life, Suburbia or Rural.
>
>
> If you were to look at Liverpool on Google maps, I would suggest avoiding anywhere North.
>

Would you really avoid places like Blundelsands, Brighton le sands, Waterloo, Crosby, lydiate, maghull, Lunt,ince blundell, Thornton parts of bootle, orrell, litherland, aintree and many more? all north Liverpool though some come under Sefton Council. The furthest place is 30mins from Liverpool city centre.
 Neil Williams 27 Jan 2013
In reply to Alan M:

And all pretty decent places.

Stay near a Merseyrail station if you want to live a bit "out of town" but have easy access to the city. Despite the constant whinging about it, "Miseryrail" quips etc, it's a city rail service of a German standard, cheap to use, frequent, starts early, finishes late etc.

Most towns and cities would give their proverbial eye teeth for it rather than the third-rate bus services everywhere else gets.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...