UKC

How did your username come about?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EZ 05 Jul 2012
I love the usernames that I see on here. Some are really inventive and some are quite amusing. Some are just your name I presume and some are so far from reality that I have no idea where they may have originated... So how did you come up with yours?

Mine is an abbreviation of EZ-now that was my first and only online username. It came from my friends and I using it as a greeting during my clubbing days, meaning be easy now
 Chay 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Mines pretty boring, I always have Gingerbread on the hill and the 22 is completely random.

I agree, some of the ones on here are really interesting!
 The Norris 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Mines an alter ego of Venetian Snares - he was one of my favourite musicians a few years back and its kinda stuck with me. And i like music with lots of snares in it!
 Skip 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Not a very original user name, but i do like the story of how i got it. Many moons ago i was studying at the then Wolverhampton Polytechnic, while having a lunch time beer a stranger sat down beside me and said "**** me you've got big feet", he then proceeded to draw a cartoon of a kangaroo with my head and labelled it Skippy.
 the power 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: my names phil quess what my surname is?
 SecretSquirrel 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
Its a cartoon i used to watch when i was little. Still known as this amongst my climbing friends, though mostly its just squirrel now.
 Rick Graham 05 Jul 2012
In reply to snaresman:
My birth certificate says Richard but most people call me Rick.

I post from home so perhaps do not need anonimity to keep my job.

If more people had real usernames we might get less nonsense posting.
Using your real name it can still be interesting and funny.
 subalpine 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: i'd like to move to a subalpine zone- any recommendations?
 eschaton 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: one of my favourite bands is anaal nathrakh, and they have an album called eschaton, which was playing when i made my account on here and seeing as i couldnt think of any particular username i turned to that.

Eschatology refers to the study of theology,philosphy and futurology relating to the final events of history/the ending of the world.
Im not a crazy.
 Tall Clare 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

I'm quite tall and my name's Clare. My previous username was CJD, which is my initials.
 subalpine 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Tall Clare: boooring.. next..
 Timmd 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My first name is Tim, the m and d are initials for my other names.
OP EZ 05 Jul 2012
In reply to eschaton:
Ahh the charm of making
OP EZ 05 Jul 2012
In reply to SecretSquirrel:
Far better than Hong Kong Fooey!
 ezzpbee 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: changed the handlebars on my mtb and wobbled untill i cut them down
 hokkyokusei 05 Jul 2012
In reply to eschaton:

<snip>

> Im not a crazy.

<cough>
 winhill 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: i was registering elsewhere and tried Rushup, Lords seat, Mam Tor but they were all taken so I ended up at winhill.
 mutt 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
mispronunciation of my name by a Mexican friend repeated unrepentantly until it stuck.
 hokkyokusei 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

my username means 'Polaris' or 'North Star', it had more relevance in my previous but now very part-time hobby.

I used to post online using my real name, but it's not a very common name so it's easy to find me using google.

I got fed up of being googled by colleagues, customers etc
In reply to EZ: I'm a stage direction. Exeunt, etc.

T.
 ericinbristol 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My name is eric and I live in bristol.

Out of curiosity, I googled 'ericinbristol' and got this:
"EricInBristol - Male - looking for females - Bristol, Somerset @ Free ...
www.freedating.co.uk/ericinbristol. About EricInBristol. I'm married and looking for some fun which I don't get at home. I'm good looking (aren't we all), got a good if not wicked sense of humour and ..."

I am not that ericinbristol...
 BelleVedere 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Someone mistook me for you the other day - they asked me how my torch was? i was very confused (it's a fine torch). They had got my old username (ES) confused with EZ.
 The Lemming 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Am I the only small furry mammal on this site with the self importance to put the word 'the' in front of his name?

Either that or I've been called the lemming since I first discovered the tinternet roughly two decades ago?

So for all those who say we should use our real names, I've had my pseudo for almost half as long as I've had my real on on my birth certificate and have only had one pseudo on the web. How's that for trying to keep continuity on-line?
 alj 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

ALJ is my initials. But I used to be Evil Twin 1. This came about on my first climbing trip outdoors to DWS Festival at Portland. All of my climbing friends were pretty new and I really hit it off with a girl called Sam. Another new friend was sat in the middle of us and got no peace from us laughing, taking the piss, baiting him and generally being annoying. We were nicknamed The Evil Twins. It stuck for a fair while!
 ThunderCat 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

There's a line from American Dad where Stan moves to the middle east, marries a veiled Saudi Arabian woman and announces to his family "This is my new wife. I have no idea how to pronounce her name so from now on I shall call her Thundercat"

No idea why it made me piss myself, but it did.

I am neither a veiled, Saudi Arabian or a woman, but I think it was that clip that made me choose my username.

That and the Thundercats of course.
 ThunderCat 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to EZ)
>
> There's a line from American Dad where Stan moves to the middle east, marries a veiled Saudi Arabian woman and announces to his family "This is my new wife. I have no idea how to pronounce her name so from now on I shall call her Thundercat"
>
> No idea why it made me piss myself, but it did.
>
> I am neither a veiled, Saudi Arabian or a woman, but I think it was that clip that made me choose my username.

This is the bit...

youtube.com/watch?v=J3PMplV9vfo&
>
> That and the Thundercats of course.

Madden 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I'm a bit disappointed now. This is my surname. Everyone calls me it.

'Y'areet Madden?' etc.
 Dominion 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My name is Dominic

My Surname ends with "on"

I'm a Sisters of Mercy fan, and they had a song called Dominion

youtube.com/watch?v=qWvOHT0zfXY&

I met some people (Captain Paranoia, Wingnut, Tim the Grey) on a trip to Cader Idris - see my profile - and they kept on about something called RockTalk, so a couple of weeks later I registered and have been

a) annoying people]
b) providing useful computer advice
c) annoying people
d) making amazing contributions that broaden your horizons
e) whingeing about politicians, religions, and newspapers, and other idiots

ever since.

I hope that, on the whole, I have a positive score, amongst all that, and I would like to thank all the people I've met through this forum, either in Real Life, or just purely here, and people who have advised me - or just plain talked to me during the bad times when I've been in hospital recovering from surgery that meant I could carry on living - and I hope I haven't pissed off too many people inadvertently.

And I hope I've apologised, or otherwise made good,on all of those occasions.

As for all those I've pissed off intentionally, I'm sure you deserved it...

||-)

OK, I apologise to them, too

oggi 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: It was my MRT Call - sign Oggi 203! Just stuck after all these years.
 Tall Clare 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Dominion:

I think there's quite a few of us who wouldn't be here (on UKC) without your computer advice!
 Chris H 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Came about by being named by my parents at birth.
 arch 05 Jul 2012
In reply to the power:
> (In reply to EZ) my names phil quess what my surname is?

Is it Watt.

Mine is my surname with 2 letters missing.
 wilkie14c 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
My surname is Blanchard and since school I was always known as blanchie. The 14 is for inches and the C stands for cock
OP EZ 05 Jul 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

Mistaken for me by someone who knows me from UKC really could have gone either way! I hope you came off unscathed
lanky_suction1 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

It's an anagram. I don't know where the 1 came from, it just appeared when I registered. As if there were any other lanky suctions....

I like it because I am certainly not lanky, and have no 'suction' when climbing (i.e. I fall off a lot).
 Hooo 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
Sheer laziness. I couldn't be bothered to think of a username when I registered, so I just started typing my name and repeated the second letter a few times. Every now and then I wonder if I should change it.
 deepstar 05 Jul 2012
 Blue Straggler 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

http://www.blue-straggler.net/miTunes/Blue_Straggler.mp3

I used to post under my real name but started to think that if people from here met me in person and made the connection, I'd get a punch in the mouth for being a provocative gobshite.

The risk is still the same as I always seem to get introduced to people as Blue Straggler these days!

In reply to EZ:

i just got sick of them. bell's chicken curry pies were much better.

that was a while ago though. they're back on the menu again, but i've eaten them all...

cheers
NMSE/gregor
 Axel Smeets 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

I'm the worst player I've ever seen play for my team, Sheffield United. A disasterous signing in the summer of 1999.
 Dominion 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

> I think there's quite a few of us who wouldn't be here (on UKC) without your computer advice!

Thank you!

On the other hand, they can always get another computer, or re-install their OS!

...or another OS, which would save them a lot of pain, and wasted time, and money, too - but that's yet another argument!

Anyway, have to say I have always valued your contributions to UKC, even if I haven't necessarily agreed with all of them, and I hope I haven't been too annoying; and that if we ever do meet at a crag, you won't cut my rope...

or - even worse - cut me dead.

||-)
Slugain Howff 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

It's a secret.........
 thin bob 05 Jul 2012
In reply to eschaton:
> (In reply to EZ) one of my favourite bands is anaal nathrakh, and they have an album called eschaton, which was playing when i made my account on here and seeing as i couldnt think of any particular username i turned to that.
>
> Eschatology refers to the study of theology,philosphy and futurology relating to the final events of history/the ending of the world.
> Im not a crazy.

....and scatology is the study of poopies.
 thin bob 05 Jul 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to EZ)
> My surname is Blanchard and since school I was always known as blanchie. The 14 is for inches and the C stands for cock

14 of your cock to make an inch?

Must save on pants, though increase laundry bills ;-P

thin bob 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
Is perfectly logical: my name is neither Bob, nor am I thin any more. two wrongs make a right, innitt?
 thin bob 05 Jul 2012
In reply to thin bob:
and I do still love you Blanchie.....
 BelleVedere 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

yeah - although i did wonder how they thought i managed to be so prolific. I'm also kinda curious about your torch now
OP EZ 05 Jul 2012
In reply to BelleVedere:

The torch is absobloominlutely amazing
 Graeme Barr 05 Jul 2012
In reply to ericinbristol:
> (In reply to EZ)
>
> My name is eric and I live in bristol.
>
> Out of curiosity, I googled 'ericinbristol' and got this:
> "EricInBristol - Male - looking for females - Bristol, Somerset @ Free ...
> www.freedating.co.uk/ericinbristol. About EricInBristol. I'm married and looking for some fun which I don't get at home. I'm good looking (aren't we all), got a good if not wicked sense of humour and ..."
>
> I am not that ericinbristol...

Hmmmmmm...
 Nigel R Lewis 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
Guess where mine came from????

N
 Puppythedog 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: When I was a Teenager trying to find my place in the world I was fortunate enough to become very good friends with a Guy Pete (pedro do samba is his nickname). He has intermittenly looked after me when I've needed it, I became his lodger for years and when Mrs The Dog moved up to the Shire she joined me at his house. He's about 12 years older than me and many of my consequent friends were older. That coupled with my ridiculous over enthusiasm for things (particularly climbing) led to me being nicknamed PuppyTheDog. it stuck. Not sure now I'm thirty I'm still entitled to it.

To echo some of the earlier mushy comments, I know that there is nonsense shared on these here forums some of which is unkind but UKC and it's constituents have had an aggregate positive impact on mine and MrsTheDog's life especially with good advice.
 Nigel R Lewis 05 Jul 2012
In reply to puppythedog: Nice one!!

N
 iceicebaby 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Studied glaciers and the song's a belter
 blurty 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

I post before I think
 BigHairyIan 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I am 6' 2", weigh 17st (down from 21st!), I haven't shaved in 30 years and my first name is Ian. I too, use this name throughout 'tinternet, in fact I first used it on a cue sports web site...
 wilkie14c 05 Jul 2012
In reply to puppythedog: ahhh, good boy! Who's a goood boy then (pats head)
 Puppythedog 05 Jul 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: Cheers Blanchie
 Dave 88 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Boring- Name and year of birth.

I've always wondered about Pylon King and Mypyrex so if either of you are reading this and care to fill us in, I'd be very grateful. (I lose sleep wondering about inane things like this).
 Ava Adore 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

The Smashing Pumpkins named a song after me
 Blue Straggler 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to EZ)
>
> Boring- Name and year of birth.
>
> I've always wondered about Pylon King and Mypyrex so if either of you are reading this and care to fill us in, I'd be very grateful. (I lose sleep wondering about inane things like this).

Mypyrex enjoys trekking in the Pyrenees so his username means either "My Pyrenean Expeditions" or "My Pyrenean Excursions". It has nothing to do with Pyrex.
 Goucho 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: A nickname given to me by an old girlfriend many years ago, referring to the album of the same name by Steely Dan, which she reckoned summed me up.

It is deliberately spelt wrong, because she also said I was crap at riding a horse, and looked more like 'Groucho Marx' on one, hence 'Goucho' as opposed to 'Gaucho'.

MJ 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Dave 88:

Pylon King = Because he's a pylon spotter.
MyPyrex = My Pyrenean Exhibition.

MJ = My initials. I like to keep it simple, that way I can't forget it.
 Kane L. 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: A thing my friend did on MSN, when I went round his during my school days, you would use your first name and the last name of your favorite musician hence I was CainLindemann. For some reason I've decided to spell my name properly on here and put the initial of Lindemann, by coincidence same as my middle names initial.
 bluebealach 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: My footie team play in blue and a bealach can be gone over both up and down which in is where my team could have gone during my melancholy moment....simples
 Philip 05 Jul 2012
My parents chose mine 32 years ago.
 gingerwolf 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: well you know mine, but I'll explain for everyone else

I have ginger hair, and I'm quite hairy (back, hair, face etc) and a friend turned round at te all one day and said "your like a ginger wolf aren't you?!"
And I thought - that's a much better profile name than my actual name! So I changed it!
 gingerwolf 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
> (In reply to BelleVedere)
>
> The torch is absobloominlutely amazing

It's not just a torc, it's the torch OF POWER!!!
 stujamo 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: or Batfink!
OP EZ 05 Jul 2012
In reply to gingerwolf:

Haha yeah baby
In reply to EZ:

When I was at secondary school our English teacher (Mr Chandler - an excellent teacher) used to get frustrated at our Somerset pronunciation when we read Shakespeare aloud. I don't know where he was from but he spoke with a generic southern accent, not too posh but always correct. Once, in his despair at our interpretation of Shakespeares work, he referred to us as a bunch of 'Somerset Swede Bashers' and the moment has always stuck in my head. Irronically I now live in the north and have lost most of my Somerset tongue!
 Trangia 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

I just cooked mine up
 Dave 88 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler & MJ:

Cheers I can sleep sound now!

Pylon spotting, well I never....
 Mike Conlon 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Mine was coined by a posh rugby team mate many years ago, who thought I epitomised the northern working class male. It has on occasion been misinterpreted as reflecting cynicism in some of my very occasional posts.
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to EZ)
> My surname is Blanchard and since school I was always known as blanchie. The 14 is for inches and the C stands for cock
Is this you Blanchie? http://tinyurl.com/6pxdnfc
 Tom Last 05 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

I am a southerner.

I like the song by Neil Young (not that I'm a white slaver or anything of the sort!!!).

I also like the look of the route 'Southern Man' on Washington Column (Yosemite) and had hoped to do it this year, until my mate dropped out. Ah well, some day.

So a triple whammy for me
Cthulhu 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

I am an eldritch being from dimensions beyond space and time. And high priest to the Elder Gods.
 wilkie14c 06 Jul 2012
In reply to jonathan shepherd:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
> [...]
> Is this you Blanchie? http://tinyurl.com/6pxdnfc

I think you'll find that is actually birdie num num, easy mistake to make though!

Being as you are the first to bite my entry I'll give it up, not very exciting though :-/
blanchie as I said, Blanchard nick name all my life When I registered on here I'd just moved into my bungalow and the number was 14c. It just seemed easy to remember and its stuck on every forum I'm on ever since
OP EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

We've got a machine at work called a Blanchard. It's for grinding. Are you sure the first explanation of 14"C wasn't true?
 Blue Straggler 06 Jul 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to jonathan shepherd)
> [...]
> I'd just moved into my bungalow and the number was 14c.

I thought it was your American climbing grade!
 wilkie14c 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
Its not that size anymore sadly as I have indeed had to grind a few inches off at mrs b's request. Some girls just don't like it that wide you know?
 wilkie14c 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
> [...]
>
> I thought it was your American climbing grade!

and they aint as fussy about 'tooling' their routes as we
 hokkyokusei 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Cthulhu:

> I am an eldritch being from dimensions beyond space and time. And high priest to the Elder Gods.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
 wilkie14c 06 Jul 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei: hahaha good one, only with half a lager and a fireplace though :-D
 Mooncat 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Can't remember.
 The New NickB 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Once upon a time I was just plain Nick B, then as is it's occasional want UKC kicked me out and asked me to log in again, I was buggered if I could remember my log in, so The New Nick B was born. The new Nick B can remember his password.
 Lurking Dave 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I lurked on the predecessor to UKC... and my real name is actually Daniella.

LD
In reply to EZ:

Read my name.
Read my posts.
Nuff said?
 mcdougal 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Once, when 18 and working on the monorail (heads back and hold tight) at Alton Towers, my friend Jason called, "Can Paul McDougal Dingle Deane please report to the operator's box, please." Over 1000 "guests" fell about laughing and the name Dougal stuck.

There, I've outed myself and await the feeling of liberation (or abusive emails, whatever comes first).
Wonko The Sane 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Well I didn't want to use my own name because I'm a criminal on the run so I had the name Gunboat Diplomat, but my gf kept telling me I was far too argumentative so I thought I'd go for a softer name. In thinking about it I realised the only reason I appeared aggressive was because you lot are all mad and I'm not and I remembered Douglas Adams' character, Wonko, and hey presto.

You asked.
 Rampikino 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Rampikino - a famous Italian climber.

I blatantly and willfully stole his monicker in 1994 as I really like it.

I think Rampikino would roughly translate from Italian slang into "little climber"
 cfer 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I am a father and one of my children is called Casey, I have used it for years for lots of forums.
 Andy Hardy 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

I tried very hard to get a username with either, Andy or Andrew in it, but the first 998 I tried were taken. I didn't want to put my surname in it because at the time I wasn't 'allowed' to post from work.
 toad 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I don't really like my username. I lurked for a long time, but wanted to post something in a hurry (can't remember what the circumstance was). It was the first vaguely wet word that came into my head and I appear to be stuck with it now. At least Mystery Toad isn't around anymore. That used to really freak me out when people started getting nasty at "toad".

I don't particularly need anonymity, but (and I know lots of people would argue against this) I think it's dangerous for anyone to use their real name in an online public environment - even if only from an identity theft perspective. Over time you give away a lot more than you think.

lone 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I'm a loner - says it all
fxceltic 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Mine is from when I played American Football for the Leeds University Celtics in the 90s, there was a trash talk internet forum for the Uni teams where we would all goad each other (much like UKC sometimes), but you wanted people to know who you were so you could fight them in the next game.

So my username is the one I used there, my surname and my team, unfortunately I made a typo when entering it and missed out a letter, but its stuck ever since.

The most amusing thing that happens is occasionally I am mistaken by other forum users for being scottish.
 Reach>Talent 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
Mine cunningly constructed from my name. I've had a few other names on various forums in the past but stuck with a slightly saner one as I occasionally use UKC to find climbing partners.
 Flinticus 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
Mine is the 'Latinised' version of my dog's name, inspired by Marcus Aurelius.
Slogan on the side of my first climbing shoes box (Scarpa Thunder's)....
 Mike Stretford 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I hide things where the sun don't shine.

I would have used Mike but it was taken.
 althesin 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: "Alfaxolone/alfadolone (Althesin) is a short acting intravenous anaesthetic agent, now withdrawn from the market due to severe drug reactions. It is composed of a mixture of alfaxalone and alfadolone, two neurosteroids."

I wanted to keep a bit of Anaesthetic history alive.
 gingerdave13 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: i used to be ginger, but now have to prove it (should anyone force me to action - be prepared for full frontal nudity).. it's the name that most of my climbing buddies know me by (and i had a reputation to match), it's also the same as a hotmail account that i stil keep and use (eek now 10+yrs old!).

As for the 13, that was just a completely random number given when setting up the hotmail account.
 owlart 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Many, many years ago I did some cartoons based on puns around the world 'owl' (eg. Arnie - Owl'll be back. Yes, that bad!), and called them Owl-Art. I've used the name online ever since I've been online from the mid-90s.
 handjammer 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Mine, I would have thought, is rather obvious. I have a particular penchant for forcing my hands into dirty, grimy cracks whilst trying to gain upward movement, in between swearing a lot.

Not that I'm much good at it mind. Jamming, that is - I'm quite adept at swearing.

Bimble 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My dog is called Tryf, and I'm Andy. Simples.
 HB1 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I was undercutting hard on the poorly-protected groove of Soho Sally (Millstone)when the hold broke off. Saved by an HB1 and a more distant HB3. I binned the HB1 and bought another, pleased/relieved that micros DO work! I adopted the username and sometimes call myself Harry, but I'm not. . .

. . . btw is that the (now) famous Blue Lagoon I see in your photo?
In reply to EZ:

I'd been pontificating on the UAE climbing forum, and someone commented (quite rightly) that 'the Lord of Starkness' was talking out of the back of his head again (or possibly somewhere anatomically to the south of it).

I took it as a compliment - and have adopted the name ever since. It beats the heck out of other things I've been called including "Stark Raving Mad, Stark B*****K Naked, Starkers" - incidentally all of which were routes that were named in my 'honour' by Geoff Hornby! -- I got him back with 'Hornby Loco'!
 Darron 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My Mum gave it to me but (I presume) didn't know how to spell it.
 london_huddy 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My nickname was always Huddy but I lived at uni with a lad with an alcohol problem who, when drunkenly introducing me to his then-girlfriend came out with Hindu rather than Huddy, which stuck.

tom_greenwich 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My name is Tom and I live in Greenwich
 Boulderdash86 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Mines I like bouldering and the irony is I dont move that fast while bouldering and '86 is my birth year.
 ring ouzel 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I used to be an Ornithologist for a living and I climb and I did a lot of climbing at Stanage at one time, so it seemed appropriate. My posh cousin is also on this site.
 Tiberius 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

I'm 2000 years old and an evil bastard.

In reply to EZ: It is my name in full.
 rallymania 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

i like metal things that go very fast through forests, making strange roaring, popping and occasionally crunching noises.

it was my first online username from about '98 it gets too complicated if you have too many usernames
 3leggeddog 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Previously I was mydogsgotalimp. I can't bear to change user name to current status.
What Goes Up 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Mine was just the first thing with any sort of climbing relevance that came to me when I was signing up.
 scree 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: remnants of former self, quite hard, spikey, difficult to negotiate, been around a bit, potentially unstable, something most people curse.

Perhaps I should get a new one.
 SGD 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I use my initials, I wanted to use another username taken from my email but it was already taken. One of my favourites has to be 'Grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat'
Big Z 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Mine is quite straight forward, i'm 6' 4" and weight close to 16st (hence the big) and my first initial is Z.

Big Z
 Kemics 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Trying to create my first ever email address back in the day, every combination of my name @hotmail was taken (first name + last name etc). So in frustration I mashed the keyboard the result was 'Kemic' I added the 'S', been my alias ever since.
Wonko The Sane 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Big Z: I'm really hoping your name is Zaphod.
 wilkie14c 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
I notice broken banjo hasn't joined this thread...
 mcdougal 06 Jul 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

He had to clear the stage after a particularly wild bluegrass gig.
Big Z 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: I hate to disappoint you Wonko but i'm afriad it isnt. That's not to say that i don't have 3 arms though

Big Z
 Al Evans 06 Jul 2012
In reply to mcdougal: Mine is an anagram of NA Slave, because I feel so much sympathy for what the black American slaves had to go through in Deep South USA.
OP EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to HB1:

That is indeed the (now) watered down lighter blue lagoon.
 Wingnut 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
I've been getting jokes about the angle my ears stick out at from the age of about five minutes*, so it seemed the logical choice of username?

(*Starting with my dad, which is a bit rich given that it's him I inherited the family ears from!)
 pebbles 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: pebbles - daughter of Fred Flintstone youtube.com/watch?v=OQVaiWXrKL0&
 Hat Dude 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

I always thought it was to do with beer delivery vehicles!
Slugain Howff 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Secret bothy in the Eastern Cairngorms built by climbers in the 50's and concealed from the estate and its gamekeepers.

S
OP EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Slugain Howff:

With a name like that I bet there were some real legends born out of that place.
Slugain Howff 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
> (In reply to Slugain Howff)
>
> With a name like that I bet there were some real legends born out of that place.

More on the Howff here - we still use it to access winter climbs

http://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com/2011/08/16/return-to-the-secret-howf...
 Al Evans 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Slugain Howff: Thanks for that it's a nice piece of climbing history.
Al
 Chris Harris 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Chris H:
> (In reply to EZ) Came about by being named by my parents at birth.

Me too.

Must be something us Chris H's have in common....

Phase 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Phase: i used to get a lot of electric shocks as an apprentice, so the nickname phase was given. its stuck with me ever since.
 alooker 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: it's my first initial and last name... kinda wish I'd thought of something more interesting now
OP EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Slugain Howff:

"a formidable quantiry of wooden beams and planks, cement and corrugated iron had to be carried in on the builders’ backs, usually in the dead of night, since it had to virtually pass by the door of Invercauld House."

Brilliant. I bet it was like kids sneaking out for a gang meeting.
 Neil Williams 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

It's my actual name. I'm that imaginative

Neil
 Neil Williams 06 Jul 2012
In reply to toad:

"it's dangerous for anyone to use their real name in an online public environment"

I have been doing so on USENET for years, so I figured there's enough info out there already for a set of climbing related forums not to make any difference, really.

Neil
 Carless 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Nickname given by a friend who most of you will have heard of
 Clarence 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

I was actually christened Clarence but I chose another name when I went to a rather "fighty" secondary school. Apparently I was named after a cross-eyed lion by my father and after my grandfather by my mother, both conveniently having the same name.
Wiley Coyote2 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to EZ)
>
> I was actually christened Clarence but I chose another name when I went to a rather "fighty" secondary school.

Given your age you should have told them you were named after The Big Man
 goose299 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
Mines my nickname that I've had for 10 years of so. The numbers were random and needed when Goose was used on another forum
 UKB Shark 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

It's a nickname I was given by Graeme Alderson and Richie Patterson 25 years ago in Buoux because I was as pathetic and rubbish as the Crap Sharks in Viz.
cb294 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

former uni email account / login name.

Used for everything outside work,

Christian
Daithi O Murchu 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

How did your username come about?.........

coz i got banned on my other 3 or 4
 DreadyCraig 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
My name is Craig, I used to have dreadlocks.
Sadly I had to cut them off due to getting older and having to pretend to be an adult, that, and I'm starting to thin and the half bald dreadlocked look didn't appeal. Managed to raise a few quid for charity by having a dreadlock cutting party and letting my friends and family pay to cut them off. I still miss them 5 years on from getting rid of them, much to my wife's disgust I still have them in the loft
 Jim Fraser 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My parents chose it.
 deepsoup 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Carless:
I just looked at your profile and was briefly confused that you're not adam carless - didn't expect there to be two carlesses on here. ;O)

Mine came from a conversation I had with someone at work: I'd just been up a tower, and he said something along the lines of "Ugh - no way you'd get me up there, I'm so scared of heights I can't eat soup from a deep bowl." It popped into my otherwise blank mind when I was trying to think of a username to set up my first ever email account (woo, exciting!) a few days later.
Yrmenlaf 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

I borrowed it from a minor character in Beowulf. Its the name I use when I'm doing medieval reenactment.

Y.
fijibaby 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Used to live in Fiji as a kid. When I went back a few years ago the woman running the guesthouse I stayed at called me Fiji baby. The people I was with started to do the same. I first checked into Ukc when I got back from Fiji so the name made sense at the time.
Less so now!
skarabrae 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: skarabrae, its a neolithic village (oldest in Europe)in Orkney that I'd really like to visit, been to scapa flow twice, giving the German wrecks, yet never went to see it! Doh!!
 sir 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My climbing partners are all a lot younger than me and they call me "sir"
 Jonathan Emett 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
my username started as 'wallaby gonads' (it used to be my nom de web) but decided I wanted to be myself.
In reply to EZ: Climbing as its one of my hobbies, Pieman as it was a nickname given by one of my climbing friend as he thought that I eat too many pies on climbing trips, so combining them for my username here seemed appropriate!
 Radioactiveman 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Love the simpsons and work in nuclear.
 Steve John B 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: My first name is Steve, my middle name is John, and my last name begins with 'B'. Crazy, huh?

I ditched the username 'skeev' (which came about after a drunken encounter with James Ellroy at a book reading back in the 90's and used to be my email name) cos it was rubbish.
OP EZ 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Radioactiveman:

Jimmeny gillickers!
loopyone 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I was writing a dissertation on Potatoes and lived at 112 Thirlestane Avenue in Edinburgh at the time.
 Hammy 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Hammy. Primary school nickname. Derivative of Graham. Secondary school nickname was Digger. I think I prefer Hammy.
 iwan.wills 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Mine is the closest thing to my full name that was available when I set up my e-mail account.
 mattrm 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

mattrm is matt (what most people call me) along with my middle and first initials. It's mainly cause 'matt' isn't available on most websites. I've been using the internet for rather a long time and mostly tend to use this. Never felt paranoid enough to pick something different. I do use encryption where possible however, if that's paranoid enough.
 Albert Tatlock 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Hi

I'm Jonnie and I'm big.
 waterbaby 06 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

It didn't really come about, it popped into my head and I was in a rush. I like water...simples. The name stuck. I am she and she is me.

In retrospect and as it appeared to turn out, I'd have been better off with Messalina
In reply to EZ:
I like climbing....
 teflonpete 07 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My name is Pete and my climbing shoes seem to be non stick due to my shoddy footwork, so the 'teflon' bit comes from that. I'm going to change it to 'Fat Punter' soon to reflect the tremendous leap backward I've made in my leading grade this year.
 Trina B 07 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: mine is my abbreviated 1st name, and my initial. i feel so dull...
 hoodmonkey 07 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

I patrol the rooftops and streets of northern England dressed as a simian vigilante,fighting crime and righting wrongs.

Bat and spider were my first choices but there were copyright issues.
 Big Steve 07 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: My name is Stephen and my nephew is called Steve, so when he was younger, he was always called little Steve and I was called big Steve
 koalapie 07 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Esoteric non-vegetarian main dish in Australia. Best wood fired as an actual pie but other variations include a straight roast koala, or even baby koala skewer. Superb eating.k
 Dominion 07 Jul 2012
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> My parents chose it.

I dread to think of what they chose for your real name, if they could only think up "Jim Fraser" for your internet / UKC name

MonkeyPuzzle 07 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

Loved the crazy tree our neighbour had when I was little and was even more delighted when I found out it was called a Monkeypuzzle Tree. Used it as an online alias in various places and was totally astounded that no one on a climbing forum had claimed it by the time I joined.
 wilkie14c 07 Jul 2012
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:
I believe jet is fossilised monkeypuzzle tree. That black stuff that really intricate models and ornaments are made from.
http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/minerals/jet.htm
 Mrs Weasel 07 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
I'm a traditionalist. I took my husband's name when we got married.
 MonkeyPuzzle 07 Jul 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Amazing!
 MJ 07 Jul 2012
In reply to Mrs Weasel:

I'm a traditionalist. I took my husband's name when we got married.

So what was your username before he ferreted you out?
 hedgehog77 07 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: i got this on my 18th when i was pissed and found in a hedge sleeping! Simple really.
 lithos 08 Jul 2012

nickname given by geography teacher to my older bro at secondary school, I
became lithos minor or similar but it never stuck, but i adopted it on usenet back in
the early 90s (rec.juggling still going) and use it for loads of 'tinterweb stuff.

you may be able to guess my surname !
stellafan 08 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I like stella!
 doz 08 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Not very good at splleing
 captainH 08 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: some people call me 'The Captain' but that is a rather common pseudonym, H is my first initial.
 John_Hat 08 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My first name is John and I used to habitually wear a hat. Hence I've been called "John Hat" by most of my friends for 20 years. We even get post addressed to "Mr and Mrs Hat". Hence whilst not my "real" name, its the name I'm generally known by in real life, and when setting up the profile it was kind of the obvious nick to use.
 dale1968 08 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:Ha,bet no one could guess,I have no Imagination....
 Queenie 08 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

My nickname, kindly bestowed upon me by male friends, after watching Blackadder series II.
 anonymouse 08 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
> So how did you come up with yours?
KevinD 08 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:

it is what is on my birth certificate.
I am shocked, shocked i tell you, that some people dont seem to be using their real names.
scattercat 08 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
Scattercat, I'm one part of a group called scattercats, we sing and play guitars
and it has an effect that will scattercats
 Ava Adore 08 Jul 2012
In reply to teflonpete:

You can now climb backwards??? Wow, you rock!
aultguish 08 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Seeing as I've given the Aultguish Inn many a hard earned coin, I thought I'd take their name in return.
 David Reid 08 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: its my name
victorderrickmuckleston 09 Jul 2012
In reply to toad: my parents gave me mine and if anyone wants to steal anything from me they obviously think they need it more than I do, and they are welcome to it.
 Route Adjuster 09 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: Not being the smallest of chaps, I have in the past altered routes by pulling bits off them - all accidental of course. So I have been called Route Adjuster on occasions for years.
dirtyfly 09 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ:
A friend choose it for my years ago for a wing commander game

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...