UKC

How hard/easy is it to drill slate?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 11 Mar 2012
Not a bolting question, I fancy making one of these:
http://www.acaggregates.co.uk/garden-accessories/welsh-blue-slate-water-fea...
Masonry drill bit?
Also, can I just rock up to Dinorwig and help myself to some pieces of slate from the spoil heaps? It's not like first hydro are gonna miss it is it but it still belongs to them so technically theft isn't it?
 Dave 88 11 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

It shouldn't be that hard seeing as the old school way to trim up slate roof tiles, was with a sort of large knife over an edge. I'd be more worried about it crumbling or shattering when drilled. Depends on the size of the block you're planning on STEALING!!
 George Fisher 11 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Maisonary bit without the hammer action can help to stop shattering thin bits. If you're going to put some 15mm copper through you might have to work up to a 16mm hole in stages. I suspect a diamond core bit is better but expensive.
 crustypunkuk 11 Mar 2012
In reply to George Fisher:
Take PLENTY of extra slate, because you'll shatter more than you'll manage to drill. Drilling slate is an intensely frustrating experience. Don't put too much pressure on when you're drilling.
 thin bob 11 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
chain-drill a circle with a glass bit? Just guessing
 John Mcshea 11 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
Diamond core drill bit, should be able order one from Axminster power tools (easy) or many other places.

Jb.
nonymouse 11 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: I've found that slate can be cut with a hacksaw so it might be worth trying a "hole saw":
www.t2.gstatic.com

You'll probably bugger it up by the time you've finished but it might do the job.

Hope this helps.
OP wilkie14c 11 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: thanks all so far. I'm still contemplating the ethics of knicking some though
 jimjimjim 11 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: I'd be more worried about the s#*t thing you intend to make. Slate is for your roof and climbing.
OP wilkie14c 11 Mar 2012
In reply to jimjimjim: that pic is a bit shit yea! Mines gonna stand in my pond rather than a stand alone thing
 Sl@te Head 12 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

If you're taking / stealing slate from the quarries, the deal is you have to donate to the Bolt Fund....honest
OP wilkie14c 12 Mar 2012
In reply to Sl@te Head: I can live with that
 Toerag 12 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: Tile cutting drill bit? As stated above, it's the hammer action that'll break it.
 jkarran 12 Mar 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

HSS bits work fine in slate, just use a cheap one and expect it to need regular re-grinding. I found a bit of cooling water kept the dust down and stopped the drill softening.

As for acquiring the slate, be careful what you pick up. Around the climbing areas there are a shocking number of turd-stones!

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...