UKC

How long 'til midnight?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hardy 11 Apr 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/11/kremlin-us-strike-against-syr...

Is it not time somebody kept Tangoman away from twitter, before he starts WW3?

Tom Valentine 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

The real Tangoman is a great bloke, runs the Angler's Rest near me (and also Geeves's brewery)

Pete Pozman 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

The Evil of Banality .

This is the way the world ends:

Not with a Bang or a Whimper but with an almighty Trump.

This is a sort of Terry Pratchett endgame scenario. You've got to laugh.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Why be involved in a proxy war? Yes, the war crimes happening over there are despicable but how will seemingly everyone jumping in with their own version of ethical warfare help? It’s like seeing someone being poked in the eye and then someone else jumps in to punch the perpetrator square on the nose – just to demonstrate how to assault someone properly. It’s a bar brawl in slow motion.

Other options must be open without the situation descending into further chaos?

OP Andy Hardy 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

Yep, what's chilling me right now is, Trump, the man with the nuclear codes ,is apparently incapable of any form of self restraint.

JoshOvki 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Yep, what's chilling me right now is, Trump, the man with the nuclear codes...

I would like to think those in charge or the military just gave him some codes... not necessarily the correct ones. It helps me sleep at night.

iknowfear 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

hey, at least he'll be fighting global warming...

with a nuclear winter.

ThunderCat 11 Apr 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

> I would like to think those in charge or the military just gave him some codes... not necessarily the correct ones. It helps me sleep at night.

I think there was a daily mash article along the lines of him being given a fake big red button when he won the presidency, and the fact he had pushed it forty seven times in the first few days. 

Billhook 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Just goes to show you what you get when you allow a democracy the vote.

Tony Jones 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Billhook:

> Just goes to show you what you get when you allow a democracy the vote.

In defence of democracy (in this case anyway), Trump didn't get the most votes.

balmybaldwin 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Nice strapline from the russians "We do not participate in Twitter diplomacy"

How do they explain this then:

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy

colinakmc 11 Apr 2018
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Isn’t it about time for Playmobil to make a nice big shiny Presidential Nuclear Button, complete with pretend missile noises when you press it?

and we thought we needed that when Dubya was in charge....

balmybaldwin 11 Apr 2018
In reply to colinakmc:

Muller needs to get a move on.

DerwentDiluted 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

On the plus side, the inevitable world cup penalty shoot out might be more interesting than usual.

OP Andy Hardy 11 Apr 2018
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Except it's tradition for us to lose those!

Timmd 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Billhook:

> Just goes to show you what you get when you allow a democracy the vote.

Would you like to live in China or Turkey or Russia?

OP Andy Hardy 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Billhook:

> Just goes to show you what you get when you allow democracy to be bought.

Fixed.

</tinfoil hat>

Big Ger 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

It's time the USAians lived up to their past standards!

More than 30 attempts to kill an incumbent or former president, or a president-elect have been made since the early 1800s. Four sitting presidents have been killed, all of them by gunshot: Abraham Lincoln (1865), James A. Garfield (1881), William McKinley (1901) and John F. Kennedy (1963).

colinakmc 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

It’ll never happen, the gun lobby all love him.

In reply to Big Ger:

I'd rather he stood trial, and was found guilty, then did 20 years in gaol.

Big Ger 12 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Shooting him in the face is quicker, cheaper, and more effective.

In reply to Big Ger:

Quicker and cheaper I'll give you. In terms of ensuring the long term health of democracy, jury trial and lengthy dose of porridge would be more effective.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

In 1984 around 3000 people died because of a chemical leak  from an American owned company in Bhopal, caused, it is believed, by slack management and poor maintenance. In 2012, over 100 people died in a fire in a factory making clothes for Walmart in Bangladesh. We in the west seem to be selective in the things we get dangerously indignant about.

In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Did Union Carbide have the potential to start a war with Russia?

Can I get the nuclear codes from Walmart?

And I don't think I'm "dangerously indignant" (whatever that means)

In reply to Andy Hardy

I wasn't suggesting you were dangerously indignant. I was suggesting our leaders were. And by that I mean claim to find something abhorrent when allowing terrible things to happen to people around the world in the name of capitalism. 

Stichtplate 12 Apr 2018

> In 1984 around 3000 people died because of a chemical leak  from an American owned company in Bhopal, caused, it is believed, by slack management and poor maintenance. In 2012, over 100 people died in a fire in a factory making clothes for Walmart in Bangladesh. We in the west seem to be selective in the things we get dangerously indignant about.

It's quite normal to be more indignant about deliberate killings over accidental ones.

In reply to Stichtplate:

> It's quite normal to be more indignant about deliberate killings over accidental ones.

What about negligent killings?

Big Ger 12 Apr 2018

> In reply to Andy Hardy

> I wasn't suggesting you were dangerously indignant. I was suggesting our leaders were. And by that I mean claim to find something abhorrent when allowing terrible things to happen to people around the world in the name of capitalism. 

Like those evil capitalists that caused Chernobyl you mean?

Stichtplate 12 Apr 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

> What about negligent killings?

Would you feel more animosity to someone who accidentally ran you over while texting, or somebody who deliberately ran you over because you'd annoyed them in the pub?

In reply to Stichtplate:

Assuming I survived, I'd be pretty pissed off with both of them; both took a positive action that resulted in me being run over.

Stichtplate 12 Apr 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Assuming I survived, I'd be pretty pissed off with both of them; both took a positive action that resulted in me being run over.

I would have thought most people would be more annoyed at a deliberate attempt on their life than an accidental one. The legal system certainly takes that view.

In reply to Stichtplate:

Those weren't accidents though were they?

In reply to Big Ger:

Oh well that contradicts everything I said then doesn't it, one disaster with a fairly low confirmed death toll.

Big Ger 13 Apr 2018

> Oh well that contradicts everything I said then doesn't it, one disaster with a fairly low confirmed death toll.

LOL!! I read that as; "Oh it's ok, when communists cause massive disasters leaving huge swathes of countryside uninhabitable, but what about them evil  capitalists eh?!?!?!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster#Human_impact

In reply to Big Ger:

Of course it's OK, nothing bad was ever done in the name of communism. Why Jo Stalin didn't receive a Nobel prize baffles me. And Chernobyl was clearly a conspiracy by the CIA.

makiyang 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy: so good

steveb2006 13 Apr 2018
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> On the plus side, the inevitable world cup penalty shoot out might be more interesting than usual.

On that subject a good sanction against Russia would be for everyone to boycot the world cup - but Im sure no one would want to go that far. Nuclear war a much more sensible option : )

Pete Pozman 13 Apr 2018
In reply to steveb2006:

Yes it's absolutely surreal that we are sending our boys out to Russia to play football. Also they are still selling us gas and stationing their security guards outside  our public schools to protect their children from the other gangsters  

bouldery bits 13 Apr 2018
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Yes it's absolutely surreal that we are sending our boys out to Russia to play football. Also they are still selling us gas and stationing their security guards outside  our public schools to protect their children from the other gangsters  

It'd be more surreal if we sent our boys to a country where the world cup wasn't happening. Send 'em to Trinidad or something instead.

We could buy our gas from Trinidad aswell. There might be a flaw in that plan but I can't see what it is.

We do have the best Public Schools tho and they now come with additional free security. So that's good.

Post edited at 22:58
 wercat 14 Apr 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

Perhaps the Informonic wars will be won on the Playing fields of Russia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...