UKC

How many calories can you buy for £1 ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 12 Oct 2018

£1 = two packets of Tesco Bourbon cream biscuits = 2877 kcal

Anything with more calories per £1 ?  

alexm198 12 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

£1 = 5/6 of a £1.20 1L bottle of Sainsbury's Vegetable Oil. 6875 calories. Don't recommend it as a snack though.

Mike-W-99 12 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

Lard is 900kcal per 100g

Lard is cheap, you can get 250g for 39p in tesco.

Deadeye 12 Oct 2018
In reply to alexm198:

> £1 = 5/6 of a £1.20 1L bottle of Sainsbury's Vegetable Oil. 6875 calories. Don't recommend it as a snack though.

Wow!  That's cheaper/J than hydrogen!

$14 ($13.99 actually - https://cafcp.org/content/cost-refill) will buy you a kilo of Hydrogen.

At the moment £1 will get you $1.32, so 94.3g H2.

Hydrogen is 150KJ/g, so 14,145KJ = 3391KCal

balmybaldwin 12 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

A Bag of Sugar 1kg approx 4000 calories....  are you sure you aren't reading the KJ not the KCal?

Healthier (ish) option Peanuts:

https://www.wiltonwholefoods.com/723-sunrize-snacks-dry-roasted-peanuts-150...

150g so 862.5 Kcal

OP JLS 12 Oct 2018
In reply to balmybaldwin:

No Kcal, just checked.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/290329100

However the packet I bought was 50p and their online price is only 36p!!! I was robbed.  

Post edited at 21:33
OP JLS 12 Oct 2018
In reply to alexm198:

>"Don't recommend it as a snack though."

I wonder how long I'd live on a diet of ONLY Bourbon biscuits? Longer than a diet of vegetable oil?  

freeheel47 12 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

> >"Don't recommend it as a snack though."

> I wonder how long I'd live on a diet of ONLY Bourbon biscuits? Longer than a diet of vegetable oil?  

Any volunteers for an experiment?  I'd guess it would take a very long time to die from a diet of just vegetable oil (with water).  ie many many months (just water results in death after about 2 usually)

In reply to JLS:

Too many ?

Philip 12 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

Maybe you should have restricted it to snack rather than ingredients.

5400 kcal for £1 of value ginger biscuits

I bet that can't be beaten.

OP JLS 12 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

Amazing. A year's worth of calories for around £182.50  

ianstevens 12 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

Fat has a far greater calorie density than sugar (and therefore carbohydrate). Lard is essentially unbeatable in terms of kcal/gm, and has a pretty good gm/p ratio as well. 

Philip 13 Oct 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

Yes but there are no food stuffs with high enough fat concentration to beat biscuits under £1 or intact in calories per £ at any price. If calories per kg maybe suet sponge pudding!

Simply claiming lard itself is pointless, no one eats lumps of lard.

MonkeyPuzzle 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

*hides half-eaten lard behind back*

pasbury 13 Oct 2018
In reply to freeheel47:

> Any volunteers for an experiment?  I'd guess it would take a very long time to die from a diet of just vegetable oil (with water).  ie many many months (just water results in death after about 2 usually)

I dread to think of the effects on the bowels of a vegetable oil diet!

Dave Garnett 13 Oct 2018
In reply to pasbury:

> I dread to think of the effects on the bowels of a vegetable oil diet!

The hydrogen diet would be interesting too.

marsbar 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

I thought maybe value peanut butter, but it seems not.  Somewhere around 3500 calories for £1. 

nufkin 13 Oct 2018
In reply to freeheel47:

>  just water results in death after about 2 usually

There's something sinister about your use of 'usually' there

MG 13 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

Petrol gets you 800000cal per l, so 650000 cal per pound ?

In reply to MG:

If we're going down the inedible route, you can buy around 5g of Uranium 235 for £1, and if you choose the right 5g and it all undergoes fission that could give you around 119,000,000 KCal. *

*Ginger biscuits might be easier to carry and give you less side effects

Post edited at 16:41
In reply to Philip:

> Yes but there are no food stuffs with high enough fat concentration to beat biscuits under £1 or intact in calories per £ at any price. If calories per kg maybe suet sponge pudding!

> Simply claiming lard itself is pointless, no one eats lumps of lard.

Hmmm, beef dripping on toast with salt and pepper.........

pec 13 Oct 2018
In reply to MG:

> Petrol gets you 800000cal per l, so 650000 cal per pound ?

Diesel comes in at around 860000 cal per litre so even better than petrol though it can't top Uranium.

Philip 13 Oct 2018
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Hmmm, beef dripping on toast with salt and pepper.........

Are you reinforcing my point or suggesting you just pick the dripping from the toast?

Kemics 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

Incorrect!: youtube.com/watch?v=2WBRloSIEf8&

Also she eats it fast, nice timely little snack on a belay to keep you going  

Michael Hood 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Kemics:

If only it was kosher

But seriously she isn't eating it, she's just swallowing it, like sword swallowing.

Kemics 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Michael Hood:

Ingestion is the name of the game: calories consumed ... no one said you had to chew  

sinclaircooper 13 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

Used to know a guy who would take blocks of icing on climbing trips. https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/250535520?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+G...

LeeWood 13 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

I used to carry a block of creamed coconut on winter climbing trips - one such must have topped out on Ben Nevis on numerous occasions … never consumed - or even nibbled under duress 

In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> If we're going down the inedible route, you can buy around 5g of Uranium 235 for £1, and if you choose the right 5g and it all undergoes fission that could give you around 119,000,000 KCal. *

> *Ginger biscuits might be easier to carry and give you less side effects

And the half life of uranium 235 is over 700 million years- not sure I can wait that long. The ginger biscuits would be nicer too (though I prefer bourbons)

On the subject of chocolate flavour biscuits, Oreos probably score high on the calories per unit weight measure too; but would be filed with diesel and uranium in the ‘inedible’ category....

McHeath 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

The Master of the place at which I was supposed to be receiving higher education, an ex nail-hard diplomat in his 70s, was famous for lining his stomach with half a pound of Kerrygold previous to attending victory celebrations of the various sports teams. He regularly drank both the 1st 15 and the rowing eight under the table.

Andy Hardy 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

>

Haven't you just described pork scratchings?

profitofdoom 14 Oct 2018
In reply to sinclaircooper:

> Used to know a guy who would take blocks of icing on climbing

I've eaten blocks of icing. Regularly. A favourite

Another snack I used to enjoy but rarely eat now - a chunk of cheddar cheese spread with a v. thick layer of butter

Not kidding

Siward 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

Are you a Southerner?  

Siward 14 Oct 2018
In reply to sinclaircooper:

No different to Kendal mint cake really.. 

Siward 14 Oct 2018
In reply to MG:

Is that cal as opposed to kcal? Surely it can't be that much more than veg oil? 

jon 14 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

I remember climbing at Hueco Tanks long ago and going to do our weekly shop in El Paso with a couple of other climbers we'd met. Craig was skin and bone from dieting/starving himself in the interests of weight loss for a project. When we got back to the campsite he emptied his pockets to reveal a dozen or so candy bars he'd shoplifted from the supermarket. When we ribbed him about stealing and cheating on his diet, he said: 

'Free food has no calories!'

Baron Weasel 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

Mrs Weasel has trained herself to become a fat burner and I often catch her raiding the butter dish. Since changing her diet she has lost a stone and gone down a dress size and her running has improved massively.

deepsoup 14 Oct 2018
In reply to Siward:

> Is that cal as opposed to kcal? Surely it can't be that much more than veg oil?

I wondered the same so I looked it up, I think a zero has got lost somewhere and MG's number is out by a factor of 10.  Petrol has approximately 8 million calories per liter, or 8000 kcal.  So not that much more than the veg oil.

marsbar 14 Oct 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

From the NHS website

"A "kilocalorie" is another word for what is commonly called a "calorie", so 1,000 calories will be written as 1,000kcals."

Aaargh.  

Presumably 1000 (actual) calories is 1 kilocalorie.  Quite confusing.  

So the peanut butter is in fact 3500kcal per £1.

Post edited at 11:10
 deepsoup 14 Oct 2018
In reply to marsbar:

D'Oh!

Yes.  1 kcal = 1000 calories.  (Also 1 kcal = 4.19 kJ = 3.97 BTU = 0.00116 kWh)  All units of energy.

And when we talk about "calories" in food, we're actually talking kcal.  A single calorie is too small a unit to be useful in that context really.

So 1000 "calories" (in the context of a conversation about food) is actually 1 million calories, or 1000 kcal.

Post edited at 11:26
 malk 14 Oct 2018
In reply to alexm198:

> £1 = 5/6 of a £1.20 1L bottle of Sainsbury's Vegetable Oil. 6875 calories. Don't recommend it as a snack though.

sunflower hearts can be bought for about £1/kg in bulk = 5800 Cal

marsbar 14 Oct 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

I can see how kcal has become calorie in everyday life but it's very upsetting for my inner geek.   Especially as I did the same myself.  

Still, it does mean I can tell people I eat between  1 1/2 and 2 1/2  million calories a day.  

Post edited at 14:37
 Jim Fraser 15 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

5000 kcal for £1 from rolled oats from Tesco. Add nuts, dried fruit and milk according to taste. Less calories than petrol but less likely to die.

Jim Fraser 15 Oct 2018
In reply to marsbar:

My inner geek sympathises with your inner geek.

Timmd 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

> Yes but there are no food stuffs with high enough fat concentration to beat biscuits under £1 or intact in calories per £ at any price. If calories per kg maybe suet sponge pudding!

Point of pedantry. People who are on polar expeditions do. 

Edit: Pardon me, they eat butter, not lard...

Post edited at 02:21
 LeeWood 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Indeed. Some folk tend to forget calories alone are useless in human metabolism. Minerals vitamins and roughage all essential in correct proportions to optimize the burn ( … 'and waste disposal !)

In reply to JLS:

Hot bathwater contains around 10 million calories of heat per pound sterling.

deepsoup 15 Oct 2018
In reply to John Stainforth:

If it's heated with mains gas, Doctor Duckduckgo tells me the current average price in the UK is 3.8p per kWh.  That's 26.3kWh or 22628 kcal for your quid's worth. 

If only 50% of that gets into your bathwater then:

a) You're about right (but slightly misleading because what is meant by "calories" in the context of food is actually kilocalories).

b) You really need a new boiler.

subtle 15 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

Dunno how many calories but I got 6 ring donughts from Morrison for 50p, so errrr could have got 12 for a £1.00 - dam tasty the six were, no sure if I could manage the whole 12 in one sitting 

As for eating lard - no thanks, leave that for the birds, they go crazy for it

Toerag 15 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

How about Pemmican? 1 part dried, ground lean beef; 2 parts rendered suet.

Timmd 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Toerag:Butter must be calorie dense if it's eaten by polar explorers to keep their energy stores up?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11315994/Ten-things-no-one-tells-you...

Post edited at 18:54
 lithos 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

> 5400 kcal for £1 of value ginger biscuits

> I bet that can't be beaten.

i can't match that data.  The best I can find from Tesco (and morrison and sainsbo) is Tesco Custard Cremes - at 9p per 100g I can get 1100g  489Kcal/100g = 5379  but ... I can really only buy 800g (2 packets) so that 800 * 489 = 3912

Choc digestives can hit 5150kcal/100 (which is LOADS) but can only get 1 packet of 400g

Ms Mollys Digest (8p/100g) I estimate (no data on website, i've gone low) are about 480kCal/100g but i can get 3 packets (31pence) x 400g 1.2kg = 5760  looking good

But I think the real answer is ... a trip to Aldi/Lidl is in order

OP JLS 15 Oct 2018
In reply to lithos:

Can you freeze custard creams? If Brexit goes sour, and food starts gets scarce, it might be good to have a stash of custard-creams to fall back on.

Post edited at 22:30
 ianstevens 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Philip:

Does anyone eat entire packets of ginger biscuits?

*wipes crumbs from mouth*

lithos 16 Oct 2018
In reply to lithos:

oops chocie biscuits 515Kcal /100g not 5150 !

In reply to deepsoup:

(a) The original poster never mentioned food. I think that calories for kilocalories is a very misleading unit. (At one time kilocalories used to be written Calories with a capital C to try to minimise that confusion.)

(b) If this had been a precise calculation, a new boiler might be called for, but my estimate was just a very rough order of magnitude calculation off the top of my head.

deepsoup 16 Oct 2018

(a)  That might be how you feel about Tesco bourbon cream biscuits, but some would say you're being a wee bit snobbish there.

(b)  I was being extra pedantic just for fun, not actually telling you you need a new boiler.  If you're not on mains gas and heat your bathwater in a tank with an immersion heater you only get 6000kcal for your quid (at 14p ish per kWh) - not much better than the biscuits!

Franco Cookson 16 Oct 2018

Wouldn't coal be cheaper per £1? I just bought a bag for £4 that looks warmer than 4 packs of biscuits. Also, presumably if it's the cheapest way to fire power stations, it probably bares some relationship to calorific output, no?

deepsoup 16 Oct 2018
In reply to Franco Cookson:

> I just bought a bag for £4 that looks warmer than 4 packs of biscuits.

10kg bag? 

That's 2.5kg for one pound - apparently about 75MJ (it says here: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fuels-higher-calorific-values-d_169.html ), or almost 18000kcal. 

Much better than the biscuits for burning.  Not quite as much energy for heating as a quid's worth of mains gas, but easier to eat.

profitofdoom 16 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

Here's a list from a website, priced in US$:

"Lowest Cost Per Calorie Foods

Lard: $0.35 per 2,000 calories. ...

White rice – $0.41 per 2,000 calories. ...

Granulated sugar – $0.56 per 2,000 calories. ...

Canola oil – $0.67 per 2,000 calories. ...

Coconut oil – $1.01 per 2,000 calories. ...

Pancake mix – $1.06 per 2,000 calories. ...

Peanut butter – $1.25 per 2,000 calories. ...

Whole milk – $1.37 per 2,000 calories."

profitofdoom 16 Oct 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Dunno how many calories but I got 6 ring donughts from Morrison for 50p, so errrr could have got 12 for a £1.00 - dam tasty the six were, no sure if I could manage the whole 12 in one sitting 

What?! 2X packs of 6 ring donuts is a snack, 4 packs make a good dessert

OP JLS 16 Oct 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

Practically looks like a balanced diet.

Splash out on the occaisionan bit of broccolli and that's all your nutrition needs sorted for pennies.

subtle 16 Oct 2018
In reply to JLS:

they were ring donuts, so healthier than the filled donuts - not sure the price of those

I like to think of ring donuts as the diet donut, in the same way that Pizza Express do with their range of diet pizza's

as for brocolli - that is just cruel, all those bonsia cultivators deprived of their enjoyment 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...