UKC

How to deter slugs without slug pellets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gordonbp 31 May 2019

What do people use to deter slugs etc without resorting to slug pellets?

RX-78 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Oh, good question, I too will be interested in any suggestions. We have tried beer traps.

Phil1919 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

I'm trying the long haul approach. I've laid 4 pieces of thin board around the wigwam of runner beans and have regularly collected and disposed of the slugs that congregate underneath during the day and in drier times.  I have had some slug damage but it seems to have made a difference. 

Phil1919 31 May 2019
In reply to RX-78:

I also concentrate on produce that slugs don't eat. Potatoes, leeks, onions, rhubarb and all fruit.

Ben Callard 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Apparently it can be good to plant some sacrificial plants that slugs prefer next to the plants you want to keep slug free.  

Rigid Raider 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Once they've laid their eggs in your soil you're goosed. We put new soil in our veg patch this year and so far we are slug-free.

subtle 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

> What do people use to deter slugs etc without resorting to slug pellets?

Hedgehogs.

In reply to Gordonbp:

Nemotode worms. Long term solution rather than short term deterrent. 

richprideaux 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

I shout at them.

It's mostly unsuccessful so far but I live in hope.

The Lemming 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

You could try frogs.

Or, as a suggestion by my chimney sweep, use soot. He says that the slugs will not pass a wide line of soot. You could also try beer-traps.

But the best bet is slug pellets. Don't forget to soak them in water first. The pellets, not the slugs.

In reply to Gordonbp:

Beer traps: bury a pot in the garden and fill with beer, this should attract the slugs and then they fall in.

Seaweed has a similar effect to putting salt on them. 

thomasadixon 31 May 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Presuming you don’t want living hedgehogs that’s true...

Sacrificial plants seem to work, chopping them up works too if lots of effort.

KS132 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Beer traps are good but grim to empty! I have found the recommended copper tape to be ineffective. I did remove a load one year but found it a difficult approach to maintain! 

Clauso 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

I once tried slug pellets, but they kept getting jammed in the barrel.

In reply to Gordonbp:

It's worth noting that there are 2 forms of slug pellets - the highly toxic metaldehyde pellets (which are due to disappear soon) and the Iron phosphate pellets, which are equally effective but far less toxic to non target species, and approved for organic gardening. 

jk25002 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Nightly trips round the garden with a headtorch, a pair of chopsticks and a tub of hot soapy water. It's possible to control the numbers fairly well, but is a bit cruel, which is why I gave up this approach.

Alternatively, grow radishes (easy, quick growing), and leave piles of radish leaves dotted about. Slugs/snails seem to prefer radish to other more precious veg..

Removed User 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Another vote for beer traps. Emptied regularly onto the compost heap.

Timmd 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Beer traps, no personal experience but my Dad had success with them. It didn't look like he needed to bury them for them to be full of slugs the next morning. 

StockportAl 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Tongue in cheek method, get a fluffy cat. Our cat is quite adept at hoovering up the slugs in her fur when stalking through the undergrowth, horrible things to get out though.

I also used to go around the garden at night with a torch and a shovel playing a weird game of whack-a-mole.

In reply to Gordonbp:

I've been told to try copper (coins around potted clematis that's getting hammered) anyone tried?

thomasadixon 31 May 2019
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

Tried an seemed to fail.  Planted marigolds round, that worked (they died instead).

robhorton 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

A pond with frogs seemed to make quite a difference for us - we still have some slugs but far fewer of them.

Jenny C 31 May 2019
In reply to StockportAl:

Trouble is cats do more damage from shitting in the veg plot than the slugs.

I plant sensitive plants in tubes (eg a plantpot with base cut out) sunk a couple of inches into the ground, it certainly doesn't stop slugs but acts as a barrier to deter/slow their advance. Ive also added copper tape to the pots but am not convinced it makes any difference. If needed I restrict use of slug pellets to inside the pots which prevents access by hedgehogs, generally though in all but very wet weather the physical barrier (and a daily roundup of trespassers who are relocated to the composter) is adequate. 

alx 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Uzi 9mm

Ben_Climber 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

They don't like coffee grounds or anything caffeinated. Old tea bags can work as well.

Any coffee shop will be happy to give you discarded coffee grounds.

Good for some plants as well.

Tom Valentine 31 May 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

They don't like salt, either.

Wendy Watthews 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Ducks will eat slugs if you let them into a veg patch. They tend to go for the slugs and the grass leaving veg alone. Some little call ducks are a pretty and comedic addition to a garden. 

jkarran 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

I've resorted to selectively applying slug pellets under wire to keep the birds and beasts off, nothing else really works. Not sure pellets do either mind! I think actually it's birds pecking my courgettes but the wire will sort that, its definitely slugs that felled my early beans.

Bigger plants are more damage tolerant, planting them out more mature seems to help a lot.

jk

Post edited at 13:50
 antdav 31 May 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I tried coffee grounds, think it made the slugs hyper and munch even more strawberries. Have tried every slugmane way of dealing with them; gravel, sand, beer traps, citrus, copper tape with no success.

The best i found was to head out on a wet evening when they think they come out to play, put them in a bucket and relocate them. They will always win.

Martin W 31 May 2019

As others have said, natural methods are preferable to poison ie slug pellets.  Hedgehogs, if you've got them, are mustard.  Frogs too.  Nematode worms (which can be bought online) if you don't have either of the aforementioned.  Sacrificial planting can also work but seems a bit of a waste.

In reply to Gordonbp:

The slimy little buggers apparently won't cross crushed egg shells as it hurts them. The egg shell barrier needs to be a couple of inches wide. Obviously you need to prepare well in advance, unless you work in a bakery or a kitchen.

krikoman 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

A knife, when it's damp and dark.

OP Gordonbp 31 May 2019
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Thanks - I found the ferric Phosphate and we'll give those a go.

Apparently metaldehyde is being banned next year....

snoop6060 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

You need to fight on all fronts. Planted 60 runner bean plants and in 3 days the bottom leaves have been ravaged on all of them so there must have been a few of the little buggers.

1) treat with Nemotode worms. Though not cheap for a large area, especially as you have to reapply every 6 weeks. But they work. 

2) Beer traps. They also work but some would say just attract more slugs.

3) Going out at night with a torch and killing them.

Ideally tho it's best to just give them nowhere to live. They love wooden borders on beds for example. 

Coffee, cooper, egg shells. All just a loosing battle if you ask me. Especially if you have lots of crops to protect. It's just not gonna work. 

As above tho the best thing is to plant out things that are strong so sow them in trays or cells, grow them to pretty big and then plant em. Growing from seed in the ground is a PITA. 

Tom Valentine 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

A quick google shows several ads for wool pellets as an anti slug barrier which is non-toxic and degrades to form a soil nutrient.

I still think salt is better because it lets you see their pain.

duchessofmalfi 31 May 2019

Nemotodes are the only thing that actually works

Toerag 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

There's been articles on the BBC recently about a university that's studying all the old wive's tales methods (eggshells, copper etc.) and none of them work.

My missus waters our crops in the morning so they're not so wet at night and reckons that makes a difference.

Rog Wilko 31 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Another vote for nematodes. We have lots of hostas in our garden. The only one with slug holes is in a corner of the garden which didn't get treated with them.

OP Gordonbp 01 Jun 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

That's interesting. We'll try that.

Removed User 01 Jun 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> A quick google shows several ads for wool pellets as an anti slug barrier

As much use as a chocolate teapot in my experience.

Mark Bannan 01 Jun 2019
In reply to KS132:

> Beer traps are good but grim to empty! 

Beer does tend to taste better without dead garden pests in it (particularly shapeless snot-covered gloopy slugs). 

If other disposal methods are used (surely less grim!), it does seem like a waste of good beer (unless it is Tennent's Lager!).

pebbles 01 Jun 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

A pond and frogs should do the job nicely for you!!!!!!!

Gone 01 Jun 2019
In reply to Mark Bannan:

You don’t need good beer. I have caught slugs with Tesco Value Lager and also with a pinch of bread yeast and some sugar in water.

Baron Weasel 01 Jun 2019
In reply to Gone:

Ask your local real ale pub if you can have some beer from their drip trays.

Mark Bannan 01 Jun 2019
In reply to Gone:

> You don’t need good beer. I have caught slugs with Tesco Value Lager and also with a pinch of bread yeast and some sugar in water.

If I were a slug, I would plump for Furstenberg or Brewdog Elvis juice. Getting pissed to death in either of these wouldn't be the worst way to go.

I suppose a lottery winner wouldn't mind wasting such terrific beer!

Post edited at 19:28
 oldie 01 Jun 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Have tried sand around plants but it didn't seem effective and soon dispersed. One method which I haven't tried but sounds logical is putting out wet newspapers.....apparently they accumulate under them and they can then be disposed of by removing from locality or less humane method.

Tom Valentine 02 Jun 2019
In reply to pebbles:

Mine must be a bunch of slackers, then!

ebygomm 02 Jun 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

I applied one treatment of nematodes last year and it seemed to make a huge difference (although how much of that was down to the dry summer is hard to tell). 

Previously I tried a combination of beer traps, wool pellets and copper tape and never saw much of a noticeable difference. A nightly trip with a torch and scissors was always needed in addition

Shani 02 Jun 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Have you tried playing them a Jordan Peterson YouTube video?

In reply to Gordonbp:

I have raised beds so I've given this a go today.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Installing-and-testing-an-electric-slug-fe...

Will see how effective it is this season.

cb294 02 Jun 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

My mother collected about 350 live slugs per day, for about two seasons, and dropped them in a filed 100m away. This is obviously only feasible for OAPs, but it did lead to a marked reduction in slug density: My parents were able to grow kohlrabi, we grew skeletons that looked more like a cross of something from Alien and 1960s Star Trek (roots, a 3D web where the bulbs should have been, then the spines of the leaves).

CB

two_tapirs 03 Jun 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Crushed shells, some garden centres sell bags of them for slug and snail deterrent.

graeme jackson 03 Jun 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

a handful of chickens strewn around the garden will do a great job of converting slugs into eggs.

Toerag 03 Jun 2019
In reply to cb294:

> My mother collected about 350 live slugs per day, for about two seasons, and dropped them in a filed 100m away. This is obviously only feasible for OAPs

My wife's gran used to pay her and her brother to do this when they were kids, a penny per slug/snail. Worked well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...