UKC

Huhne and Pryce get 6 months....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blizzard 11 Mar 2013
Fred the Shred and various other bankers got off Scot Free for arguably doing far worse damage to the UK. Does this prove how our legal/moral compass has gone wrong?
 MG 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Blizzard: 8 months (and no)
OP Blizzard 11 Mar 2013
In reply to MG:

Apologies for the obvious error. lol. Silly me.
In reply to Blizzard:

For God's sake. When are we going to stop having to listen to people saying that bankers ought to be imprisoned for non-criminal behaviour? It's on a par with calling for footballers to be imprisoned for losing football matches.

Let's face it, if any of us had any idea how to govern economic forces, we'd never have recessions, and we wouldn't have prominent newspaper columnists and economic experts calling for diametrically opposed economic policies.

jcm
OP Blizzard 11 Mar 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Basically I heard this said(the original OP) on a Radio programme earlier today and it made me think. Morally doesnt the Huhne Pryce sentance seem inproportionately unfair?
 toad 11 Mar 2013
In reply to Blizzard: No. Perverting the course of justice is a big deal. The fact that it was initially about speeding is neither here nor there
In reply to Blizzard:

>Morally doesnt the Huhne Pryce sentance seem inproportionately unfair?

Yes, it's pretty daft IMHO, but par for this particular course. But it's not daft by comparing it with the rather obvious fact that FTS and bankers in general have done nothing illegal, even if they've made errors in judgment in their job.

jcm
 BMrider 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Blizzard:
Isn't the moral of this story :

for Huhne : Don't piss your wife off; Hell hath no fury etc. etc.

for Pryce : if you've committed a crime, Keep yer trap shut.
 Ciro 12 Mar 2013

The banks do illegal shit all the time - when they get caught we generally fine them much less than the profit they made from doing so, and sit back and wait for them to do it again.
 dsh 12 Mar 2013
> (In reply to Blizzard)
>
> >Morally doesnt the Huhne Pryce sentance seem inproportionately unfair?
>
> Yes, it's pretty daft IMHO, but par for this particular course. But it's not daft by comparing it with the rather obvious fact that FTS and bankers in general have done nothing illegal, even if they've made errors in judgment in their job.
>
> jcm

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/gangster-bankers-too-big-to-jail-...

Since when is laundering money for terrorists legal?

Philip 12 Mar 2013
In reply to BMrider:
> (In reply to Blizzard)
> Isn't the moral of this story :
>
> for Huhne : Don't piss your wife off; Hell hath no fury etc. etc.
>
> for Pryce : if you've committed a crime, Keep yer trap shut.

FFS the quote is not "hell hath no fury..." go and look it up.

Also, they got what they deserved.
 Pero 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Philip: I wonder, though, if someone attacked you in the street, completely unprovoked, how much they would have to injure you to get 8 months. I suspect it would have to be pretty serious.
 spearing05 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Pero: Broken jaw, broken orbital socket, broken nose, left unconscious with blood pooling in throat equals 3 years 6 months and 2 years 9 months for a not guilty and guilty plea respectively so I'd imagine not a huge amount for 8 months.
 sweenyt 12 Mar 2013
In reply to dsh:

> http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/gangster-bankers-too-big-to-jail-...
>
> Since when is laundering money for terrorists legal?

That would be interesting, if there was evidence supplied... rather than lots of journalism, which may or may not be based on facts.

Have you got a link to any actual reports (i.e. not from journalism, but police/treasury etc links)?

H
 tony 12 Mar 2013
In reply to sweenyt:
> (In reply to dsh)
>
> [...]
>
> That would be interesting, if there was evidence supplied... rather than lots of journalism, which may or may not be based on facts.
>
> Have you got a link to any actual reports (i.e. not from journalism, but police/treasury etc links)?
>

HSBC have admitted to money laundering and have been fined $1.9bn:
http://www.hsbc.com/news-and-insight/2012/hsbc-announces-settlements-with-a...
http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2012/December/12-crm-1478.html

Nobody seriously disputes that HSBC was involved in money laundering in the past, least of all the current senior management.

Similarly, nobody seriously disputes that a whole gaggle of bankers were involved in rigging LIBOR, and have been fined. Quite how and why they haven't been done for fraud is beyond me.

sweenyt 12 Mar 2013
In reply to tony and toad:

thanks, I'm particularly crap at keeping up with this sort of thing, but it makes interesting reading.
 off-duty 12 Mar 2013
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to sweenyt)
> [...]
>
> Similarly, nobody seriously disputes that a whole gaggle of bankers were involved in rigging LIBOR, and have been fined. Quite how and why they haven't been done for fraud is beyond me.

I think 3 have been arrested so far in the UK and 2 charged in the US.
 tony 12 Mar 2013
In reply to off-duty:

Have they? Thank you - I've obviously been asleep. There must be a fair few more wondering whether they're going to be next.
 off-duty 12 Mar 2013
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to off-duty)
>
> Have they? Thank you - I've obviously been asleep. There must be a fair few more wondering whether they're going to be next.

I do hope so ......
Even the SFO should be able to make a case on the back of those emails

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...