UKC

Insurance needed for winter season in NZ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r.king 16 Apr 2013
Hi

Does anyone know what the best insurance option would be for 4 months in NZ including skiing and some climbing?

Unfortunately the AAC insurance only covers a maximum of 8 weeks.
The BMC price is over £400! This has doubled since my winter season in Canada in 11/12. BASI is similar at £390.

Is this the standard price nowadays? Really cutting into my funds if so
 damowilk 16 Apr 2013
In reply to r.king:
Is it just for NZ?
I wouldn't say this for any other country, but you may be able to get away without it. ACC here means any accidents in NZ are fully covered for health costs, probably the only reason the adventure sports industry is viable. If you're a Brit, AFAIK, urgent medical problems are covered under reciprocal agreement with the NHS. This just leaves non-urgent medical problems and dental uncovered, maybe a slight gamble. I don't think mountain rescue costs anything, but just confirm this fit non-nationals.
If you want baggage cover etc, you could then get a cheaper travel insurance policy.
OP r.king 18 Apr 2013
In reply to damowilk: Thanks, interesting stuff.

Sounds like the basics will be covered there and with a cheaper policy so will flights and baggage etc. Only issue would be repatriation if a special flight was needed.

Anyone have any other ideas or first hand experience?
 Neil Williams 18 Apr 2013
In reply to r.king:

Medical costs and repatriation are the things you *really* want covered, however unlikely. It would be hundreds of thousands of pounds from somewhere like that.

Even if you didn't have baggage cover I'd still want that.

Neil
OP r.king 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:
Yup looking like I'll have to get a full policy unless I can get a specific one to only cover repatriation?

An emergency flight would certainly bankrupt me.
 Neil Williams 18 Apr 2013
In reply to r.king:

I reckon you'd have to go to a broker for something that specific.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...