UKC

Is Crag X at the Foundry under new management?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wingalina 05 Mar 2012
Just walked all the way across Sheffield City centre in my lunch break to try to get some new approach shoes at Crag X, to get the most out of character unpleasant service I have ever had from a climbing shop.

When i said "Hello" to the guy (who wasn't Iain) when I first walked in, he just stared at me, then looked most put out when i asked to try on a pair of shoes. When i asked for some advise i got a blunt and slightly unhelpful response. Needless to say i left at that point, biting my tongue.

I know people have off days, but this was something else!

Has Iain left? Are they under new management?
 deepsoup 05 Mar 2012
In reply to wingalina:
Iain left a while ago, Simon left more recently. I miss them both, but the new guys seemed fine to me. Bit shocked by your story, that's rubbish, commiserations on your wasted lunch break.
OP wingalina 05 Mar 2012
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks for the update.

Thats a real shame Iain has gone, it has been a while since i last went in to be fair. If he was still there i would consider going back in again another day and have another go.

Looks like I'll have to take a punt online as nowhere else nearby stocks what i need. At least i found out what size i am i suppose, every cloud and all that
 CragX Shop 05 Mar 2012
In reply to wingalina:

Hi

In answer to your question, you did catch me on an "off day"....... the shop's phones and internet connection has gone down, which is causing some undue stress and annoyance on a Monday, so for that I apologise. It was something I was in the middle of sorting, and even now is not fully fixed which is why you did not get my full attention.

Needless to say....... I am happy to talk climbing and gear etc.... and your comments of "unpleasant service I have ever had from a climbing shop." if they were put in the correct context Im sure you would not mean.

Good luck though on your hunt for new approach shoes....and in responce to your original question...........

The LaSportiva Boulder X I think is a great shoe, not too much give in them....certainly no stretch across the materials....... the last of the rubber is brilliant and far better than many other competitors rubber, offering you exceptional grip and performance while wearing them. Plus Sportiva' I feel have sound production methods....so the last of the Boulder X again will be very impressive.

Happy climbing!

Toby S 05 Mar 2012
In reply to CragX Shop:
> (In reply to wingalina)
>
> Needless to say....... I am happy to talk climbing and gear etc.... and your comments of "unpleasant service I have ever had from a climbing shop." if they were put in the correct context Im sure you would not mean.
>

Sorry I disagree, if I was a punter in your shop the very least I would expect is basic courtesy. Even in the context you've given I don't think it's an excuse for poor service. Even a simple explanation at the time, 'sorry, it's a bit mental at the moment, I'll be with you in a sec' would be better than a blank stare and a curt response to an enquiry.

OP wingalina 05 Mar 2012
In reply to CragX Shop:

Thanks for the response and I appreciate that when things go wrong it can be a stressful time.

However, a simple explanation would of mean't that i understood that things weren't as normal and I would of been sympathetic to the situation and happy to wait. As a result of not doing this you've maybe lost a customer.

Unfortunately, in whatever context you want to look at it, this was "unpleasant service" which i have not had from a climbing shop before and did not make my trip very enjoyable

Anyway, i really do appreciate you responding on here, as I understand that it is difficult to deal with feedback in a public forum. Many companies would try to brush it under the carpet and fair play for responding.

Thanks
 Tiberius 05 Mar 2012
In reply to wingalina:

It is Yorkshire

Pubs close to me apparently have a reputation for beating you up if 'you don't sound like you're from round here'.

Bought a tshirt from CragX recently, sevice was fine...for Yorkshire.
andic 05 Mar 2012
In reply to wingalina:

Thats a shame I used to really appreciate Si.

There is no excuse for poor service and I'm glad to hear you walked out on them, they claim to be Sheffield's only true climbing shop and that is only true if the service is up to scratch. Particularly wrt shoe fitting
OP wingalina 05 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

Let me guess your from the other side of the pennines
 Justaname 05 Mar 2012
In reply to andic: Not difficult when you consider the competition
 Gallant 05 Mar 2012
In reply to deepsoup: I'm fairly regularly in there, and I've never had any issues with service, even if it's just to pop in for a chat about the latest gear, or a trip I've got lined up in order to get some advice. Certainly seems like you were in the right place at the wrong time.
 DynamoCL 05 Mar 2012
In reply to wingalina:

Yes, sorry to hear that. We use them a lot, just pop in to discuss things. From my experience they have been extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and always pleasant; just one of those days it seems. Took a friend down to the foundry wall with a bunch of harnesses once to try routes to see which felt best. Never had a better service elsewhere.

No, I don't work for them.
andic 05 Mar 2012
In reply to Justaname:

True but that's no excuse.

I have spent quite a bit in cragX over the years and I pay the rrp(-10% members discount) with pleasure even though I know I can get the gear cheaper elsewhere because I realise have benefited from the experience of the staff. I still spend my money there even though I understand the kit and don't necessarily need the advice any longer, it is in theory a resource for the less experienced and needs to be supported (and so I can get shoes that fit)

BTW you made me think what other gear shops there are and all I got was Go Outdoors, Decathlon and Naked Ape, so yeah not much competition are there any others?
OP wingalina 05 Mar 2012
In reply to Gallant:

Agreed, obviously just turned up at the wrong moment. Shame really, had great service from them over the years, but because i'm stubborn and proud im unlikely to go back again after this experience.
Paul F 05 Mar 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
> (In reply to wingalina)
>
> It is Yorkshire
>
> Pubs close to me apparently have a reputation for beating you up if 'you don't sound like you're from round here'.

I'll have you know the pubs closest to Cragx are the finest drinking establishments in Sheffield. Always a tough decision after climbing at the foundry between The Fat Cat and Kelham Island Tavern.
 gethin_allen 05 Mar 2012
In reply to Paul F:
> (In reply to Tiberius)
> [...]
>
> I'll have you know the pubs closest to Cragx are the finest drinking establishments in Sheffield. Always a tough decision after climbing at the foundry between The Fat Cat and Kelham Island Tavern.

I'd say Kelham Island
 chriskinvig 05 Mar 2012
In reply to wingalina:

I have always found the staff at CragX to be world class.

They listen to my innate questions and offer objective advice and support. I have always found their experience and guidance to be awesome. When I’ve doubted their guidance it has always turned out to be true. You just don’t get this from other shops.

To my mind CragX is a climbers shop for climbers who offer excellent kit competitively priced. The choice of champions.

cK
OP wingalina 05 Mar 2012
In reply to chriskinvig:

No I totally agree and i am not questioning there pedigree as knowledgeable people.

As i stated previously i have had great service and advice over the years from the very knowledgable staff and previously very welcoming staff.

My issue is purely about the fact i was made to feel like an inconvenience an unwanted in the store and as stated by the guy he was having a bad day, but being blunt thats not my fault
 Tiberius 05 Mar 2012
In reply to wingalina:
> Let me guess your from the other side of the pennines

There are no pennines where I'm from

I claim West Brom as my spiritual home, although I was actually born in London and have now lived half my life in Yorkshire. My accent is I think still slightly brummie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...