UKC

Israel and Palestine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 handofgod 21 Dec 2017
In light of Trump announcing the USA will recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel; has this now destroyed any hope of peace in the region and could this now lead to a new period of conflict between the two countries?
 Skip 21 Dec 2017
In reply to handofgod:

> has this now destroyed any hope of peace in the region and could this now lead to a new period of conflict between the two countries?

Almost certainly
 jonnie3430 21 Dec 2017
In reply to handofgod:

There already is conflict between the two.
 Chris Harris 21 Dec 2017
In reply to handofgod:

> has this now destroyed any hope of peace in the region?

Not sure there ever has been any.
 Mike Highbury 21 Dec 2017
In reply to handofgod:

> In light of Trump announcing the USA will recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel; has this now destroyed any hope of peace in the region and could this now lead to a new period of conflict between the two countries?

With Peaky Blinders finished and nothing but the prospect of The Crown on TV, a good war will liven up my evenings' viewing considerably.
Post edited at 13:36
OP handofgod 21 Dec 2017
In reply to Mike Highbury:

What a silly comment.
 Carless 21 Dec 2017

Liquid lunchtime Xmas party?
 Kemics 21 Dec 2017
In reply to handofgod:

Or perhaps insightful satire into the commodification and entertainment seeping into news...but also perhaps not

Jon Stewart 21 Dec 2017
In reply to Kemics:

> Or perhaps insightful satire into the commodification and entertainment seeping into news...but also perhaps not

Without the reference to Peaky Blinders it would be a good satire of Trump's position. But I'm baffled as to the spirit it was meant in!
 Michael Hood 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Not his usual standard of contribution. Maybe a bit weary of this issue which has been discussed quite a lot.

And it potentially affects him more than you or I.
 MargieB 24 Dec 2017
In reply to handofgod:
More likely guarantees escalation of violence in that part of the world. Heavy handed and insensitive of international role in trying to keep any sort of balance of peace in this part of the world. Not politic.
Post edited at 09:55

Even if that comment was meant in jest, it's a disgusting thing to say!

Mike Highbury 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:
> Even if that comment was meant in jest, it's a disgusting thing to say!

I've a slight suspicion that you have considerably less skin in the game than me.

What game?

Michael Hood 24 Dec 2017
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

I don't know the expression but I think he means that if something major kicks off in the region then it's going to affect him much more than you - assuming his profile location is up to date.

I doubt he thinks it's a game. Nobody living there does.
 krikoman 24 Dec 2017
In reply to handofgod:

I can't see it helping much at all, though it has at least stopped most countries, simply siding with America, I'm surprised the UK actually voted FOR the UN resolution to call on the US to reverse it's decision to move the Embassy (not that it made any difference) but it's something.

It's nice to know that we're all "puppets" of the Palestinians though - a quote from Israel’s ambassador to the UN. Which just about shows the loyalty for the support many countries have given Israel through the years.

The IDF just detained a 6 year old boy for throwing stones FFS! What sort of army does shit like that.

Unfortunately, there's little or no TV news coming out of Gaza and the rest of the area that we get to see, so for most people it's just something that happens elsewhere, it's hardly reported, the majority of what the Palestinians are living under.

One of the saddest things has to be the reason for Trump doing this in the first place, to placate "Christians" in his own country who don't just two f*cks about Jews, Palestinians or most other people, if they are backing the "wrong" god. Evangelical nutters waiting for Armageddon and the rapture. Perhaps it might come sooner than we think.

I'm pretty certain though we'll only get one of the things on offer, namely the Armageddon part, I can't see anyone getting the rupture bit.

Maybe when Trump goes, and hopefully Bibi, there'll be someone strong enough on both sides to really try for peace.

While I'm aware of the struggle and the suffering of the Palestinians, it can't be much fun for the Israeli's either. there are people in Israel fighting, and going to jail, for peace, all power to them, it must be very difficult to carry on when your own government is against you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...