Loading Notifications...

It’s icy - watch out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So, I’d just been explaining to a fellow dog walker how effective my 5 quid Lidl mini spikes are when...

TBH, it was all a bit slomo, not even a bruise. The mini spikes don’t quite cover the heels of my boots and I’d slowed down to put the dog on the lead. Will be digging out my Footfangs next time. 

In reply to mick taylor:

Pride comes before a fall...

Offwidth 07 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Slippery sod's law?

In reply to mick taylor:

For a week now only the brave walkers, dog walkers, bikers, etc., are using a this usually popular track into countryside. Even the delivery couriers have stopped using it as a short cut! (It’s rough and narrow - stopping walking in verges - at the best of times).

girlymonkey 07 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Yaktrax are pretty good as they have grips on the heels too. I am quite evangelical about them! Lol. Obviously no good for hill walking, but for around town I really like them

Myfyr Tomos 07 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Where has the noble art of step-cutting gone?

climbingpixie 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I made the mistake of trying to use the towpath, which is similarly iced up, on my run yesterday. Ended up having to walk the final few hundred metres for fear of sliding into the canal, as apparently one dog walker had done on Sunday!

freeflyer 07 Jan 2021
In reply to climbingpixie:

> I made the mistake of trying to use the towpath, which is similarly iced up, on my run yesterday. Ended up having to walk the final few hundred metres for fear of sliding into the canal, as apparently one dog walker had done on Sunday!

The BBC say that cold water immersion boosts the immune system, which was news to me - I thought wild swimming just made me cool and invulnerable:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000r0hx

Possibly not in the canal though ...

Martin Wood 07 Jan 2021
In reply to climbingpixie:

And I made the mistake of going out cycling on Christmas Eve. As a result I had three Titanium (only the best ... I hope its 6/4) bolts inserted into my fractured neck of femur on Christmas Day.

Now hobbling for another 10-weeks. Mind you, everyone else has got minimal "mobility" at the moment, haven't they!

nniff 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin Wood:

> And I made the mistake of going out cycling on Christmas Eve. As a result I had three Titanium (only the best ... I hope its 6/4) bolts inserted into my fractured neck of femur on Christmas Day.

ouch - get well soon..

Dave B 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin Wood:

Due to decimalisation its been rounded up to titanium 32 new pence. 

(poor £/s/d joke. Sorry)

Get well soon

Post edited at 20:12
 Dave B 07 Jan 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I heart yaxtrax. I've bought both my dad and in-laws them to keep them safer on icey ground. 

I have my own too.. 

MarkAstley 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Martin Wood:

I did the same in mid Dec a few years ago, make sure you get proper physio as soon as possible, I went for a private one after 2 weeks as the NHS was 6 weeks post break.

Had significant muscle waste after only 2 weeks, if I'd waited for NHS physio  recovery time would probably have been 6-8 months rather than.

Good luck and hope it all heals properly with no issues down the line, I had the screws removed cos one was aggravating the hip flexor, had to wait three years though......

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.