UKC

Job Centres,Study Funding,Paid Work,Course Enrolment Deadlines.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 25 Jun 2013
Does anybody know how it all works with signing onto courses when you happen to be on JSA (or other benefits) and thus qualify for funding for your study fees, and what happens later on when you find work?

Do you currently have to take on a student loan as soon as you find work, or does the funding keep being paid on your behalf, or once the deadline for applying for the course and free funding have passed does it not make any difference if you then find work?

Note: It's not my intention to pass up on a possible job just so I can avoid having a student loan, more i'm trying to find out what currently happens so i'm not taken by surprise, and I can start to budget.

Ta,

Tim
 browndog33 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Timmd: I think your entitlement to funding is based on (joint?) annual income, although I don't know if it can be based on a projected (estimated) income for the current year or whether its based on last years income? Check out the student finance England website for more details?
Mark.
 browndog33 25 Jun 2013
Ps..your coarse may effect your entilement to JSA etc??
 browndog33 25 Jun 2013
In reply to browndog33: Course!
 RockAngel 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Timmd: It would depend on which course you were planning on applying for also. You can't continue to claim JSA if you sign up to do a degree, unless its an Open University degree. If you wanted to go to uni, you would need to apply for student loans for your tuition fees and work to pay for your rent/mortgage and living expenses.

Other courses at your local colleges may be funded if you are in receipt of some benefits. Ask at the student support at the college or uni for guidance on what courses are available to you for free or a reduced fees.
OP Timmd 25 Jun 2013
In reply to browndog33: At the moment i'm being told being on benefits entitles me to free funding, it'd be 'quirky' to find the course i'm being given free funding for due to being on benefits would affect my entitlement to them. The sooner I get any kind of job the better, me thinks.
 RockAngel 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Timmd: and if you take a job that means you come off benefits, part way through your course, you may be (more than likely) expected to pay for the remainder of the tuition fees for your course
OP Timmd 25 Jun 2013
In reply to RockAngel:
> (In reply to Timmd) It would depend on which course you were planning on applying for also. You can't continue to claim JSA if you sign up to do a degree, unless its an Open University degree. If you wanted to go to uni, you would need to apply for student loans for your tuition fees and work to pay for your rent/mortgage and living expenses.
>
> Other courses at your local colleges may be funded if you are in receipt of some benefits. Ask at the student support at the college or uni for guidance on what courses are available to you for free or a reduced fees.

I'm not in any doubt about being funded for the course with my situation as it is at the moment, more i'm wondering what may happen if/when I find work once I've started my course. I'm wanting to find out how their system works.

OP Timmd 25 Jun 2013
In reply to RockAngel:
> (In reply to Timmd) and if you take a job that means you come off benefits, part way through your course, you may be (more than likely) expected to pay for the remainder of the tuition fees for your course

That's what I was wondering. Probably worth it if I do find a job, though. I'm lucky enough to have parents who could help me out if I get too short of money.

Will ring up tomorrow to check. Ta for the info peeps.
 JSA 25 Jun 2013
In reply to Timmd:

When you apply for the course it usually has to be something related to experience you have from previous employment.
Once your choice of course is paid for then it doesn't matter when you come off JSA, you don't need to pay anything back as regards the funding.

Ps, your benefits aren't affected with your acceptance of or participation on the course.
OP Timmd 25 Jun 2013
In reply to JSA:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> When you apply for the course it usually has to be something related to experience you have from previous employment.
> Once your choice of course is paid for then it doesn't matter when you come off JSA, you don't need to pay anything back as regards the funding.

Interesting, the deadline to apply for the funding is by July the 31st, and I've had a telephone interview for the course and have been accepted for it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...