UKC

Karma thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 19 Feb 2021

I started a thread that has turned tough on Norfolk.

I need to make amends, so I'm here to promote:

- Cromer crab (plant based alternatives are available...I hope).  Actually the chalk reef is a pretty amazing dive

- The Broads.  Rosary Road and the man made waterways I guess.

- Sandringham.  Um.

- The highest number of pubs/1000 population in Norwich

- Carrot growing. 

There.  All even in the universe again and not one mention of genetic diversity.

veteye 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Removed UserBilberry:

You were inefficient. You didn't mention Samphire, nor the backstreets of Cromer and its seafood, and of the greatly variable and entertaining seas. 

Then there's the sea air, and the calming and peaceful churches, and Happisburgh lighthouse etc, etc, etc.

Stichtplate 19 Feb 2021

Highest number of digits per capita in the whole UK

hope that helps

Andy Hardy 19 Feb 2021

Am I right in thinking Norfolk and Cornwall are the only counties in England without a motorway?

Blue Straggler 19 Feb 2021

Colman’s Mustard tourist tat shop in Norwich! 

mondite 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Neither do Dorset or Suffolk although I think Suffolk is supposed to be having part of a A road upgraded at some point.

Tom Valentine 19 Feb 2021

Could have been worse -  for instance, working for Iceland and making a few disparaging remarks about Wales...... a simple online apology wouldn't be enough there......

flatlandrich 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

No, there's more than that. Lincolnshire and Suffolk also spring to mind and there's probably more. 

marsbar 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Depends how you define Lincolnshire I think.  Some people would assume North Lincolnshire would be part of Lincolnshire, and some people consider it Humberside with a new name.  It isn’t in the Lincolnshire county council area.  

marsbar 19 Feb 2021

The Broads are very pleasant.  

flatlandrich 19 Feb 2021

This thread reminded me of a Gangnam Style Parody made by a couple of Norfolk kids about 8 years ago. Not great quality but it's generally considered to be a pretty accurate description of Norfolk!! 😉

youtube.com/watch?v=nFBoeZm7-u4&

(1:20 tells you the most important point)🤣

Andy Hardy 19 Feb 2021
In reply to flatlandrich:

Lincolnshire has the M180, does the M11 not pass through Suffolk at some point?

mondite 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Lincolnshire has the M180, does the M11 not pass through Suffolk at some point?

Nope. Dabbles a bit in essex and ends in cambridgeshire. The eastern counties in general do poorly. Essex just has a bit on the edges.

flatlandrich 19 Feb 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

No, the M11 goes through Essex and Cambridgeshire but misses Suffolk. 

I stand corrected on Lincolnshire though. I couldn't think of one there and a quick check on Google maps doesn't show North Lincolnshire as part of Lincolnshire so I thought I was right, but looking further it is considered one county and, as you say, has the M180.  

Andy Clarke 19 Feb 2021

Didn't Einstein invent the atom bomb in a beach hut near Cromer?

veteye 19 Feb 2021

Is there the A1M too? Or is that just in Yorkshire? It comes pretty close after Bawtrey.

mick taylor 19 Feb 2021

“Where are you? Where are you? Let's be having you! Come on!" 

flatlandrich 19 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

The A1 misses Suffolk by quite a way, it just clips the Western edges of Cambridgeshire, but there is a section classed as a motorway there. 

veteye 20 Feb 2021

I'm talking about Lincolnshire further north

flatlandrich 20 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

Oh, Sorry. No, that section is just dual carriageway, although I'm sure the whole A1 will be upgraded to motorway in due course. The current motorway section stops just a few miles south of the Lincolnshire boarder. 

wintertree 20 Feb 2021

The Norfolk and Suffolk aviation museum has a lifeboat for rescuing stranded air crews from the channel.

It was slung under a Lancaster bomber, which would bomb the sea with it.  Upon landing, small rockets would fire in all directions carrying ropes out that people could use to haul themselves in to the boat.  It then had a collapsed mast and rigging the crew could erect and a pictorial guide to sailing - many different language crews flew from Britain. 

Helicopters eventually rendered these obsolete.

Lankyman 20 Feb 2021

I hear they're like one big, happy family in Norfolk?

wercat 20 Feb 2021

I live in Cumbria, have lived in Applecross in the 1980s and I love Norfolk, never having been there until I was about 50.   Swimming along the coast from Sidestrand to Cromer and round the pier sticks in my mind

wintertree 20 Feb 2021
In reply to wercat:

Watching “The Detectorists” had me missing my native east anglia for the first time in 20 years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...