UKC

Kayaking lessons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stichtplate 05 May 2018

Any recommendations for companies/instructors providing kayaking lessons in North Wales? Thanks.

Alex Riley 05 May 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

What level are you looking for? Complete beginner, intermediate or advanced/coaching?

OP Stichtplate 05 May 2018
In reply to Alex Riley:

Been out a for a few hours only, so complete beginner.

nufkin 05 May 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

These chaps know their aquatic onions:

http://www.seakayakinganglesey.co.uk

(though might not be the sort of Kayaking you had in mind)

Alex Riley 05 May 2018
In reply to nufkin:

My wife runs kayaking clubs for beginners at Harlech leisure centre which is a nice friendly group environment. Otherwise I'm a level two coach and could potentially run some one to one lessons if that is more what you are looking at.

I'm fully insured through the BCU and have been coaching for a number of years.

Alex

In reply to nufkin:

Thanks, I’ll check them out.

In reply to Alex Riley:

Thanks Alex, could you pm me your email?

JMarkW 06 May 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

If you are after sea kayaking then another vote for Phil at sea kayaking Anglesey. Also Roger chandler at coastal spirit i highly rate. James Stevenston at adventure elements is also a top coach.

Cheer

Mark 

deepsoup 07 May 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

> If you are after sea kayaking then another vote for Phil at sea kayaking Anglesey.

And another. 

If you'd be travelling, he also happens to be based at Anglesey Outdoors which is a fine place to stay, excellent value for money and is equipped with the fiercest drying room in Wales if not the UK.  Bunkhouse, campsite, or posher options.  (Funnily enough, I am sitting in the bunkhouse as I type.)

The other suggestions are good too, but I would look here first: http://www.seakayakinganglesey.co.uk/

Gone 08 May 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

What a coincidence, I was occupying the same bunkhouse until last night when I went home. Sea kayaking symposium? Were you the guy who went out to Penrhynmawr on your own yesterday (I was the woman with the light brown Buff headgear) ? There seems to be a considerable overlap between climbers and kayakers, perhaps enough for a little flag saying ‘climbers meet up and chat here’ at kayaking events!

Definitely agree with all the other recommendations for Sea Kayaking Anglesey. They also provide top quality kit for all their courses, even beginner ones, which is so helpful because other places have one size fits all boats and wetsuits and then wonder why their clients end up capsizing because they are rattling around in the boat and can’t control it properly and then end up freezing and miserable even in summer because the wetsuit doesn’t fit properly either.

graeme jackson 08 May 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

Why not find your local club and join in. They're not usually axe murderers and quite often have a syllabus in place to make sure members progress according to the BCU training plan.

Jim Lancs 08 May 2018
In reply to JMarkW:

> If you are after sea kayaking then  . . . Roger Chandler at Coastal Spirit I highly rate . . .

And so do I !

deepsoup 08 May 2018
In reply to Gone:

Yep, that was me.  Ha, small world! 

Maybe we should have a "who's going to the Anglesey symposium" thread next year. 
Anyone here going to the Skye syposium in a couple of weeks?

Could have gone either way, but as it turns out it was a great idea to duck out of the symposium sessions and head off to Penryhn Mawr.

I bumped into George Shaw on the way, finished coaching for the weekend and heading out with a couple of pals to play until it was time to go and catch the ferry home.  (He's an absolute star in case anyone is interested - *definitely* who I would be recommending if the OP was asking about the Isle of Man: http://www.seakayakingisleofman.com )

Sunday afternoon the race was running quite nicely, visability wasn't great in the mist and there must have been about 50 kayaks there, what with all the groups and all.  Monday morning we got there just as it was starting to build into much better condition than the day before in glorious sunshine and the four of us had the entire tide race to ourselves.  It was fantastic, one of those rare moments of absolute perfection.  Brilliant surfy fun in brilliant company.

See you there next year?
(You're not going to the Skye event are you?)

deepsoup 08 May 2018
In reply to graeme jackson:

> ... and quite often have a syllabus in place to make sure members progress according to the BCU training plan.

Yawn!

Having said that, I note the OP's profile says Cheshire.

The Manchester Canoe Club ( https://manchestercanoeclub.org.uk ), based somewhere around Marple, are pretty active on the sea.  And as the OP never actually said he's interested in sea paddling, I've bumped into groups of their white water paddlers at the Tees Barrage once or twice and they seemed like a really good bunch having a good laugh.

Post edited at 15:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...