UKC

Keeping the seat beside you empty.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Le Sapeur 21 Sep 2020

Recently I read some advice from a famous comedian (can't remember which one) on how to keep the seat next to you empty on a crowded (pre Covid) train. Smile broadly at any passenger embarking and pat the seat beside you. To entertain myself  I tried this  today for the first time. Unfortunately for me the first person to alight knew me and sat down beside me. Oh, it's you. I didn't recognise you with mask on.

And you sat beside the creepy guy patting the seat?

Well, yes, I thought it was my luck day day!

alx 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

The stuffed Labrador I picked up at an Oxfam shop is pretty useful.

Kalna_kaza 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

A scotch bonnet chilli under your tongue to give you a feverish temperature and a strong persistent cough should do the trick. As a bonus you'll get a Covid test that day, win-win!

In reply to Le Sapeur:

Persistently cough into your mask, remove said mask and survey the contents scowling. Wipe mask on seat next to you then replace. 

You may be more at risk from the occupant of the seat facing you, they are the ones breathing in your direction. 

In reply to Le Sapeur:

Go to a joke shop. Buy the most realistic fake turd you can see.  Place turd on seat.

Back in the 1990s when she worked in Stockport and had to park her car, which had very dodgy locks, on some waste ground near the town centre, my wife used to leave such a thing in an easily seen position on the driver's seat.  No-one ever tried to get in.

T.

Le Sapeur 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

That reminds me of the film Top Secret.

Wait. You dropped your phony dog poo.

What phony dog poo?

Dax H 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

There is only one answer to this problem. 

Be the nutter 

youtube.com/watch?v=oYYo49R_ZS0&

In reply to Le Sapeur:

> Recently I read some advice from a famous comedian (can't remember which one) 

Ben Elton famously did a 'double seat, double seat, gotta get a double seat' routine. Which he recently reprised in his script for an episode of Upstart Crow.

Timmd 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

A brother's female friend used to pretend to be asleep on Megabus style coaches, when they stopped for people to get on.

freeflyer 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Baby Ruth. Works every time.

youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM&

plyometrics 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Donning a Scream mask could be an option. 

Not only scary, but Covid safe too. 

nikoid 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

I remember a Count Arthur Strong sketch where he kept the seat free on the train by saying something like "I wouldn't sit there if I were you, my wife has just gone to the toilet with a very bad stomach and her hands have been all over that table"😀

Andy Gamisou 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

I've always railed against such obnoxious seat hogging behaviour and delighted in being "that person" who chooses to deliberately sit next to the selfish individual pathetically trying to protect "their" space.

GrahamD 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Being fat, leery and smelly helps.

Ciro 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

> I've always railed against such obnoxious seat hogging behaviour and delighted in being "that person" who chooses to deliberately sit next to the selfish individual pathetically trying to protect "their" space.

The scowl when you pick up their bag and throw it up on the luggage rack or under the seat is priceless 😁

In reply to Le Sapeur:

Sit reading this and nobody's going to want to sit next to you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1594745250/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mmBAFb86P17PP

😂

ThunderCat 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Used to get on the train at New Malden to Wimbledon every morning and it was always rammed, so there was never any hope for a seat.

I got on one morning and clocked a few spaces so I pushed through the crowded aisle and sat down.  I soon realised that the reason it was empty was because in one of the seats opposite was the biggest pile of vomit ever.  It was enormous.  I don't know how a single human being could have produced it...perhaps it was a joint effort from several people.  I don't know.  It was epic.  Reminded me a little of the mountain from Close Encounters.

Fat Bumbly2 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Dont do what Jasper Carrott did in his sketch and witter on about a bomb!

Timmd 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Ciro:

> The scowl when you pick up their bag and throw it up on the luggage rack or under the seat is priceless 😁

I'm wondering if the scowl might be partly from you moving their bag without asking? It is somebody else's property which is right next to them, is my thinking.

It should ideally be under their own seat or on the luggage rack too, of course...

'May you move you bag so I can sit?'.

Post edited at 15:56
 nniff 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Fart a lot.  People will keep away, but if a person sits next to you, they must have lost their sense of smell, so get off quick.....

Ciro 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> I'm wondering if the scowl might be partly from you moving their bag without asking? It is somebody else's property which is right next to them, is my thinking.

Of course it is

> It should ideally be under their own seat or on the luggage rack too, of course...

Exactly

> 'May you move you bag so I can sit?'.

If you have displayed the discourtesy of deliberately leaving a bag on a seat on a busy train, in the hope that nobody will ask you to move it, you shouldn't expect courtesy from those who are hunting around the carriage for a seat.

Timmd 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Ciro:

> If you have displayed the discourtesy of deliberately leaving a bag on a seat on a busy train, in the hope that nobody will ask you to move it

That's what I mean, you seem to have already decided a motive for them,  they could have just put it there for convenience, on the basis that they'll move it should somebody want to sit down, rather than deliberately setting out to foil anybody sitting down?

You seem pretty decided that people put their bag next to them to block a seat, so I'll not continue, but if ever I've lurked next to a seat with bag on it, showing I want to sit down, it's always been removed.

Post edited at 19:28
Le Sapeur 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

No, it's pretty much always a ploy to stop someone sitting beside them. It's not their first time on a train, usually.

Toerag 23 Sep 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

>   I soon realised that the reason it was empty was because in one of the seats opposite was the biggest pile of vomit ever.  It was enormous.

A colleague's wife chundered over our lounge floor after a 'chinese and wine tasting' evening (yes, my work sports and social club was a bit bonkers at times). One second she was fine, the next it was like something out of the exorcist. Must've been easily 5 or 6 pints worth of what looked like sloppy red chinese food .

ThunderCat 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Toerag:

> >   I soon realised that the reason it was empty was because in one of the seats opposite was the biggest pile of vomit ever.  It was enormous.

> A colleague's wife chundered over our lounge floor after a 'chinese and wine tasting' evening (yes, my work sports and social club was a bit bonkers at times). One second she was fine, the next it was like something out of the exorcist. Must've been easily 5 or 6 pints worth of what looked like sloppy red chinese food .

I'm suddenly reminded of my younger brother chundering after a plate of spag bol, and having stings of spaghetti emerging from his nose.  That's probably a memory from 35 years ago that I thought I'd never recall...

Removed User 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> A brother's female friend used to pretend to be asleep on Megabus style coaches, when they stopped for people to get on.

The Megabus is a bit like heroin.

If you're on it you're probably a junkie.

Le Sapeur 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> The Megabus is a bit like heroin.

> If you're on it you're probably a junkie.

Or maybe you just can't afford a car?

john arran 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Reminds me of when Thatcher first stigmatised bus use, saying something that could very loosely be paraphrased as 'buses are for losers'. That attitude unfortunately spread very quickly, and very soon many of our roads became clogged with the near stationary traffic caused, presumably, by 'winners'. I don't doubt that the bus deregulation she imposed at the same time had rather a large part to play in that too.

GrahamD 25 Sep 2020
In reply to john arran:

> Reminds me of when Thatcher first stigmatised bus use, saying something that could very loos.....

Oh for a leader that people listen to and follow with apparently total dedication.  Seriously, do you really think the decline in bus usage is down to Margaret Thatcher ?

veteye 25 Sep 2020
In reply to john arran:

You also get people deliberately sitting in the aisle seat on buses, with the inside one free. More than 50% of these in my observation are very obviously overweight. So what is your response to these people, when you get on the bus?

john arran 25 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Oh for a leader that people listen to and follow with apparently total dedication.  Seriously, do you really think the decline in bus usage is down to Margaret Thatcher ?

Largely, yes. Mainly by preventing local councils being able to take a responsible approach to local transport and subsidise bus travel.

GrahamD 25 Sep 2020
In reply to john arran:

And nobody thought to turn it round in the last 30 years ? The more I see the powers she's credited with, the more impressed I get. 

john arran 25 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Thatis, of course, your prerogative. I rather think that community urban transport at a reasonable price was a great loss.

GrahamD 25 Sep 2020
In reply to john arran:

> Thatis, of course, your prerogative. I rather think that community urban transport at a reasonable price was a great loss.

Me too.  But I don't blame a long deceased ex prime minister for the way, collectively,  we have chosen our priorities. Even now, apparently half this forum is against one of the biggest public transport infrastructure projects I can remember.

aln 25 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Do social distancing guidelines not mean that the seat beside you should be empty? 

aln 25 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> I don't blame a long deceased ex prime minister

Not that long deceased. Not long enough. I blame the cnut for the state of this country. No such thing as society, greed is good, me me me. She set all that shit in motion and we've been f*cked ever since. 

Andy Hardy 25 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Oh for a leader that people listen to and follow with apparently total dedication.  Seriously, do you really think the decline in bus usage is down to Margaret Thatcher ?

Yes. Because she, and her disciples believe that the market *always* knows best. So when all the bus routes are run, for profit, by private capital, guess what? The routes that don't attract enough passengers are closed.

GrahamD 26 Sep 2020
In reply to aln:

> Not that long deceased. Not long enough. I blame the cnut for the state of this country. No such thing as society, greed is good, me me me. She set all that shit in motion and we've been f*cked ever since. 

Why does noone ever put the full quote in on society ? And where did she ever say greed is good ?

GrahamD 26 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

That really does not explain why bus routes that still run are massively underutilised.  The problem is that we have made car the king.

Andy Hardy 26 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

What happened to bus usage in Sheffield, after Thatcher stopped the council from running transport as a service to it's citizens, and forced it to be run for profit by private companies? Fares went up, routes were chopped, timetables altered. Usage fell off a cliff.

Edited to add: Once the ex-bus user has had enough, they buy an old banger and don't go back to public transport. 

Post edited at 08:48
 GrahamD 26 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

But why is it still the case 40 years on and a new generation? Weve had umpteen years of labour government between then and now.  Buses don't need the same infrastructure investment as railways.  You can't keep blaming Thatcher for what the country is now.

Andy Hardy 26 Sep 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

We've had 11 years of labour in power since 1979.

You are right to say the problem is the car is king, and the reason for that? The car lobby have the ear of the Tories, rather than the green lobby.

I'm also guilty of using Thatcher as shorthand for blinkered dogmatic extreme deregulation and all the associated issues

DerwentDiluted 26 Sep 2020
In reply to veteye:

> You also get people deliberately sitting in the aisle seat on buses, with the inside one free. More than 50% of these in my observation are very obviously overweight. So what is your response to these people, when you get on the bus?

They can easily be lured out of cover with a sausage roll on a length of fine fishing line.

GrahamD 26 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I don't think it's just the car lobby, unless you count Jeremy Clarkson acolytes as part of the car lobby. Look at the protests when fuel prices threaten to go up.

wercat 28 Sep 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

smear peanut butter liberally round the bottom of your brown trouser legs and over your shoes and ask everyone who looks as if they might want the seat if they have any toilet paper about them ...

Toerag 29 Sep 2020
In reply to veteye:

> You also get people deliberately sitting in the aisle seat on buses, with the inside one free. More than 50% of these in my observation are very obviously overweight. So what is your response to these people, when you get on the bus?

Budge up, fatty?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...