UKC

Keighley: one of *the* destinations of the moment....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

...according to the Keighley News

http://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/15812487.Keighley_third_on_list_of___39_...

lost out on top spot to Clacton and Great Yarmouth though.

Post edited at 13:44
 tingle 08 Jan 2018
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Im sure even keighly news posted this with tongue in cheek as there isnt even an article, just adverts. Cant think of a single tourist attraction either to be honest.
 Jon Stewart 08 Jan 2018

A winter break in Keighley would be enough to tip me over the edge!
 Sir Chasm 08 Jan 2018

I'm with John Cooper Clarke "I’ll tell you now and I’ll tell you briefley
I don’t never want to go to Keighley".
Apart from the Boltmakers Arms and Shan's supermarket. So it's not all bad.
 Andy Say 08 Jan 2018
In reply to tingle:
>Cant think of a single tourist attraction either to be honest.

Boltmakers Arms.

Hawkcliffe.

Haworth.

Earl Crag.

Timothy Taylors.

Shipley Glen.

Cliffe Castle.

That hall place down by Riddlesden.

The secret bouldering venue just up the road.

The K&WVLR

Goose Eye Bitter.

I LIKE Keighley.......

Post edited at 13:56
In reply to tingle:

> Im sure even keighly news posted this with tongue in cheek as there isnt even an article, just adverts. Cant think of a single tourist attraction either to be honest.

oi! Keighley Tarn is very pretty! ok, maybe that's too strong, but there's ducks, and sometimes a goose. best go while its daylight though.

(and, the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway is excellent, if you like that sort of thing)
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> A winter break in Keighley would be enough to tip me over the edge!

Earl Crag? Or Hawkcliffe...?

deepsoup 08 Jan 2018
In reply to tingle:
> Im sure even keighly news posted this with tongue in cheek as there isnt even an article, just adverts.

Something a bit wrong there. Looking at it with the ad-blocker on I see a banner at the bottom nagging me to turn it off - with it turned off the only ad is a tiny banner in the top right corner. The article reads as follows:

KEIGHLEY is third on a list of 20 "best affordable" destinations for winter holidays in the UK.

The town is behind just Clacton-on-Sea and Great Yarmouth in the table, compiled by TripAdvisor company Holiday Lettings.

According to data from the firm, rates for a two-bedroom rental in Keighley average £321 a week between December and February.

Spokesman Laurel Greatrix said: "Keighley is a fantastic option for travellers looking for an affordable winter break.

"Visitors have easy access to Bronte Country, making it a great base for exploring beautiful Yorkshire.

"Holiday demand is an advantage for homeowners too, who can capitalise on the opportunity and generate extra income."

Keighley MP John Grogan also extols the town's virtues as a holiday destination.

"What a great time for a winter break here!" he said.

"A ride on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway at the start of its 50th anniversary year, a visit to Haworth as the celebration of Emily Bronte's bicentenary begins plus the chance to see the revived Cliffe Castle and the splendour of East Riddlesden Hall. What's not to like?

"I am only sorry I have to get the train south this week as the Commons returns to business, but I'm in the early stages of planning a reception in Parliament later this year to draw attention to Keighley's tourist attractions."

The full Holiday Lettings list is: 1 Clacton-on-Sea £282, 2 Great Yarmouth £305, 3 Keighley £321, 4 Callington £348, 5 Blaenau Ffestiniog £373, 6 Settle £378, 7 Amble £397, 8 Bridlington £404, 9 Heacham £406, 10 Seaton £409, 11 Porthmadog £411, 12 Launceston £414, 13 North Ayrshire £414, 14 Dumfries and Galloway £415, 15 Grange-over-Sands £419, 16 Weston-super-Mare £419, 17 County Tyrone £420, 18 Newtonmore £425, 19 Benllech £427 and 20 Brixham £428.
 Nevis-the-cat 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

Live music at the Cricketers

Mughals curry house

Lots of cobbled hills to ride your bike on

The tarn (for dogging)

It's twinned with Mordor
In reply to Andy Say & Sir Chasm:

and the Shimla Spice- part of Bradford's 4 times "curry capital of the UK"- winning team...

come on, Clacton- what have you got to compare to all that...?

deepsoup 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Sir Chasm:
The name 'Keighley' always reminds me of Mark Steel.

> Mark Steel says of his recent Radio 4 local knowledge experiences: ‘In the North Yorkshire farming town of Skipton, I told the audience I’d seen a sign for Keighley, and wondered whether that was Skipton’s rival town. It went chillingly quiet and one woman called out with calm menace “Keighley – is a sink of evil”.’

http://offthekerb.co.uk/mark-steel/
Lusk 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Keighley's ace!
 haworthjim 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Say:
Apart from the bolt makers and Timmy Taylor’s brewery you’ve listed a load of places that aren’t in keighley :0))
“Where you from?”
“Haworth near Skipton-close to Leeds”
Post edited at 14:21
 Sir Chasm 08 Jan 2018

I'm struggling to think how you'd advertise it, maybe "Come to Keighley, it's not as big a shit hole as Bradford"?
 haworthjim 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Sir Chasm:
“That scary place on the way to the dales”. :0))

http://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/15693231.Keighley_and_Haworth_feature_in...
 Becky E 08 Jan 2018
In reply to tingle:

>Cant think of a single tourist attraction either to be honest.

What about the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway (of Railway Children fame), and Cliff Castle?
 tingle 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

And now im wondering why it hasn't come first?! Come on kids, have a look in The Albert on a Monday dinner time and marvel at the local wonders.
 haworthjim 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Becky E:
Didn’t the Worth Valley Railway have to, begrudgingly, have to add keighley to its name?
“Where are you from?”
“Utley, just by Cliffe Castle and parklands Which is just out of Skipton near Leeds”
 Mick Ward 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

> It's twinned with Mordor

Ain't it just!

Mind you:

a) Pretty much guaranteed shagging with the neighbours.

b) Absolutely guaranteed knuckling on demand.

Do these constitute tourist attractions?

Mick

Bulls Crack 08 Jan 2018

Cricketer;'s pub comedy nights
The Museum
err that's it
In reply to haworthjim:

> “That scary place on the way to the dales”. :0))

brilliant- i wonder if you can still get copies..?

hokkyokusei 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

> >Cant think of a single tourist attraction either to be honest.

> Boltmakers Arms.

Agreed. The Cricketers has a certain charm too. As does that pub that used to be called The Friendly?

> Haworth.

> Shipley Glen.

It's hardly in Keighley!

> Cliffe Castle.

> That hall place down by Riddlesden.

East Riddlesden Hall?

> The secret bouldering venue just up the road.

Don;t know that one.

> The K&WVLR

KWVR, no 'L'.

> I LIKE Keighley.......

There's a good pub crawl to be had there
 Nevis-the-cat 08 Jan 2018

That said I lived there for several years and never had any bother while out on the beer.

Otley on the otherhand felt like Compton some nights

ian caton 08 Jan 2018

I like the buildings.

The first Carnegie library in the UK I think, a stunning building.

Plus Wetherspoons in the old temperance hall as carved in stone over one of the doors.
 Andy Say 09 Jan 2018

I remember moving up North in '76 to go to Ilkley College. I lived over t' moor in Keighley. Ilkley seemed full of out of work TV actors: Keighley seemed real. I made a lot of good friends in Keighley.
Also, with what you have almost on your doorstep in Keighley, you begin to realise just how inconsequential the Peak actually is.....
 Andy Say 09 Jan 2018
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Shipley Glen

> It's hardly in Keighley!

Agreed. But most tourist attractions would accept something within 15 minutes drive as relevant?

The secret bouldering venue (10 minutes drive away)

> Don;t know that one.

Of course. And if I told you......I'd have to kill you

Jon Stewart 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

> Shipley Glen

Don't get me wrong, I love The Glen, but if it's one of your town's tourist attractions, you're in trouble!

I guess you're also in spitting distance of the wonderful Colne Valley Art Trail too...

http://www.mapfodder.com/sculptureTrail.pdf

Tom Last 09 Jan 2018

Aren't New Model Army from Keighley?

Great band, but don't paint the place in the best of lights - completely unfairly no doubt.
 EdS 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Tom Last:

Bradford they are from & based
 deepsoup 09 Jan 2018
In reply to EdS:
Wow. Yoda is a fan of New Model Army? Didn't expect that.
 Tom Last 09 Jan 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

> Wow. Yoda is a fan of New Model Army? Didn't expect that.

Old we are, young are we, together are we in this...
 Mick Ward 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

> I remember moving up North in '76 to go to Ilkley College. I lived over t' moor in Keighley. Ilkley seemed full of out of work TV actors: Keighley seemed real. I made a lot of good friends in Keighley.

Moved from Bradford to Keighley in the autumn of '76 for an ill-fated love affair. Had some great times in Frank's Bodybuilding Gym. Frank was (and, I believe, still is!) an utter gentleman.

But saw a lot of savagery in Keighley and became incensed by it. Years later, I wonderingly remarked to someone on how few run-ins I'd had with the locals (considering...) Whoever it was laughed and said, "They'd have avoided you like the plague - you were in Frank's Gym and the karate club. Even if you weren't hard, you'd have had mates who were. So they wouldn't risk it."

A lot of gutless bullies in Keighley. I miss Bradford (it's like a knife under my heart). But Keighley - apart from those lovely blossom trees in the centre and the library which was good once - I've never missed.

Mick

GrahamD 10 Jan 2018
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

> It's twinned with Mordor

I'm guessing the cultural exchange visits are still going on ?

Keighley's great, you can get a whole peri peri chicken, chips and a can of pop for £5.99. It also has its own song;

youtube.com/watch?v=J3ObSyT7Yno&
 Bulls Crack 10 Jan 2018
In reply to fromsinkingships:

I find that it just gets in the way when going to the Dales
 Andy Say 10 Jan 2018
In reply to Mick Ward:

> A lot of gutless bullies in Keighley. I miss Bradford (it's like a knife under my heart). But Keighley - apart from those lovely blossom trees in the centre and the library which was good once - I've never missed.

> Mick

Cruel, Mick. Sure the affair didn't cloud your vision? In 20 years I never experienced violence or intimidation. Though I do recall that the first time I encountered the greeting 'NAH THEN'! I did think I was in for a ruck.
 Andy Say 10 Jan 2018
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> I find that it just gets in the way when going to the Dales

Go a different way?
 Mick Ward 10 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

When The Devonshire was closed down, the judge commented that in his opinion it was the most violent pub in England. It re-opened pretty quickly as The Grinning Rat. Same clientele...

Clearly you've had good times in Keighley and I'm glad.

Go on, then! Next time I get up to Yorkshire, I'll look in. But I'll be sitting with my back to the wall.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward:

a pretty bleak assessment, Mick!

although i'm from Glasgow, i'm a very long way from being a glaswegian hard man- but in 15 years of being in and around Keighley i've never really seen any trouble when i'm out.

mind you, its rare i'd actually go out in Keighley itself these days; and maybe being from Glasgow i've got a fairly well tuned radar of where not to even go into...

i think its probably changed a bit too- the Lord Rodney was somewhere i'd have insisted on danger money to go near, since its makeover though, its almost friendly...
Lusk 10 Jan 2018

All you who think Keighley was rough, you've obviously not been down The Pig & Ballbearing that used to be on Hyde Road, East Manc.
Walk in there on a Sunday teatime after a gentle day in Chew Valley and it took a brave man to make eye contact. The walls were lined with pilled up psychos.
 Mick Ward 10 Jan 2018

It may well have changed. Oddly enough, although I had many a night at the Lord Rodney, never saw anything happen in there.

Went out drinking with a mate and his wife in Brighouse, last year. I could clock the guys who would have caused trouble thirty years ago, but... they were stopping well short. The atmosphere was still Yorkshire, still gritty (which I loved). But things seemed to have mellowed somewhat. And for that I'm glad.

So maybe I should discard my memories of forty years ago to the dustbin and give Keighley a second chance.

Mick
 Ridge 10 Jan 2018
In reply to Mick Ward:
I have fond memories of the Grinning Rat, and the Rat Trap 'nightclub' next door. Even I was guaranteed to pull in there..

Edit: Regarding trouble in pubs, I don't think there's anything like the level of violence that used to exist in the '80s nowadays.
Post edited at 22:25
 Big Ger 11 Jan 2018

I'll see your Keighley, and raise you Canberra

http://www.news.com.au/travel/australian-holidays/nsw-act/lonely-planets-be...

ian caton 11 Jan 2018
In reply to Big Ger:

Surely the most boring non place in the world. 

Big Ger 12 Jan 2018
In reply to ian caton:

My point exactly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...