UKC

Kestrel and Robin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 05 Jan 2021

This avo. Another stunner of a day. Paths icey as hell. 

mick taylor 05 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

And just after I photo’ed the Kessy and turned the camera off, a Sparrowhawk glided right past me and into the wood. 
I booked a weeks leave (partly coz I anticipated shite) and this weather has been mega. 

In reply to mick taylor:

Lovely pics! Keep 'em coming 😁

Oceanrower 05 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

My money's on the kestrel...

mick taylor 05 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

I noticed something: just before I saw the robin (X2) I’d walked down a very narrow track. The robins flew towards me, real close, then started mooching where I had walked. One found a massive worm straight away. I think they knew to check where I had turned over the ice/soil/mush with my wellies. The robin struggled to eat the worm it was that big. I’ve never seen as many robins as this autumn/winter. Could be a good breeding year or me being out loads or me subconsciously seeing lots coz they are comforting birds. 

In reply to mick taylor:

Not necessarily due to a good breeding year - many of the 'extra' robins we see in wintertime are migrants from Scandinavia/Russia (whilst some of our females have gone to Spain/Portugal for the winter). Increased numbers may just mean a harsher Scandi winter pushing more birds over the North Sea.  

Darron 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Which brings up the Waxwing situation. Any info?

In reply to Darron:

Not so many Waxwings this year. 

https://twitter.com/WaxwingsUK?s=09

smbnji 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Great pics Mick! Any details on camera/lens? 

deepsoup 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

> Paths icey as hell. 

Frozen over has it?  I suppose it had to happen eventually.

mick taylor 06 Jan 2021
In reply to smbnji:

Thanks.  Basic Nikon with a 600mm Sigma lens. Use a tripod. Just back from an 11 miler (5 yesterday and 11 day before that) and lug it round over my shoulder for most of that. It’s all taken whilst out with my springer, so most shots are relatively long distance. Got some crackers today....

mick taylor 06 Jan 2021
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

One year when there was a mega invasion of waxwings I went see some in Moss Side where they feed on Rowan berries in a housing estate. Watched a big flock, which was joined by another flock. Can’t remember the exact number, think it was well over 250!  There was often 30 in a tree at any one time. That same year there was a flock of 40 in Wigan town centre. 

smbnji 06 Jan 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Just saw your shots from today, cracking pics! I only have a 300mm (well, 150mm on M4/3) so I struggle a bit with the reach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...