UKC

Kinlochleven zip line

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 04 Dec 2019

I see there is an application in for two zip lines to be installed at Kinlochleven - what a visitor experience that will be

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-50657896

Removed User 04 Dec 2019
In reply to subtle:

A pity it doesn't say exactly where they'd go.

OP subtle 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> A pity it doesn't say exactly where they'd go.

The link is suitable vague, but you could always look up the planning applications submitted for Kinlochleven and find out

Removed User 04 Dec 2019
In reply to subtle:

I probably will later.

graeme jackson 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> A pity it doesn't say exactly where they'd go.

Down, I suspect.

cathsullivan 04 Dec 2019
In reply to subtle:

There's an opposition group on facebook and a petition:

https://www.change.org/p/the-highland-council-stop-the-kinlochleven-zip-wir...

Roadrunner6 04 Dec 2019
In reply to cathsullivan:

I think it depends where with these things. There's a big smelter there so I'm not sure I'd class it as wild and untouched. TBH I'd rather areas be used for adventure tourism than something more destructive. Aren't there already shellfish farms out there as well? 

Post edited at 15:28
 wintertree 04 Dec 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

> Down, I suspect.

You’re not thinking 3 dimensionally, Marty.

Down and across.  Hopefully most of the time now just down.

wercat 04 Dec 2019
In reply to subtle:

could it not just be done virtually, like Peloton?

Rob Parsons 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> There's a big smelter there ...

That closed 20 years ago.

Roadrunner6 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Rob Parsons:

It's still there isn't it. All the infrastructure.

Rob Parsons 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> It's still there isn't it. All the infrastructure.

Some is. Some isn't. And some's been converted to other uses.

I'm just pointing out that it's incorrect to say that 'There's a big smelter there [in Kinlochleven].'

Post edited at 20:08
Roadrunner6 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I think we are into semantics.. there's a huge disused smelter then. Lots of buildings and infrastructure plus other industry. I'm just pointing out it is far from a pristine environment.

I'd be careful they don't end up getting something with even more impact. We saw that in Llanberis that plenty of schemes were blocked and then they ended up with the pump storage scheme. When previous proposals for the site were put up they'd have probably generated more jobs and been more in keeping with making Llanberis an adventure tourism capital. Landowners want to use their land for something. 

Removed User 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Quite. Loch Leven consists mainly of an old factory and a council scheme. However the view down the Loch is beautiful and it would be a shame to have something strung across the loch further West than the village.

Rob Parsons 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> I'm just pointing out it is far from a pristine environment.

That is not an argument for putting a zipline over the loch.

>  [Llanberis]: when previous proposals for the site were put up they'd have probably generated more jobs and been more in keeping with making Llanberis an adventure tourism capital.

When I hear claims about 'generating more jobs' I usually reach for my gun. And as for 'adventure tourism capital' - Christ, you're really wheeling out the cliches now!

> Landowners want to use their land for something. 

Quite. And that's why we need both good planning laws, and good quality administrators. (I'm not particularly claiming Scotland has either, mind. Menie Estate, anybody?)

Roadrunner6 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Rob Parsons:

"That is not an argument for putting a zipline over the loch. "

That was the argument that was on the article I read. That it was essentially untouched. It's a partially industrialized, heavily deforested hillside, below a dammed valley, with a loch which has been heavily fished and is the site of aquaculture. I'm not sure a zip line detracts from the current environment. But as said it depends where it is.

"When I hear claims about 'generating more jobs' I usually reach for my gun."

Always a good response...

marsbar 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Pumped storage is quite useful though...

It seemed to be providing a few jobs when I was there in the shops and cafe and tour.  

Roadrunner6 04 Dec 2019
In reply to marsbar:

> Pumped storage is quite useful though...

> It seemed to be providing a few jobs when I was there in the shops and cafe and tour.  

Certainly is.

TBH we need them with renewables so I wasn't against it. I think most jobs are in the construction phase though.

But that quarry will be used for something. Have you see the big business estate they built, spent millions clearing an area and did nothing with it. That will be used for something sooner or later if it hasn't been used yet.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

> I'm not sure I'd class it as wild and untouched. 

By that logic you could build anything anywhere. Before humans the UK would have been mostly forest, and now all of our mountains have been cleared for farm use/wood harvest. Nothing is untouched anymore. 

Roadrunner6 05 Dec 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I think there are areas less touched, of course in the UK nowhere really is. There's having trees removed and there's also a dam, huge pipes, a power plant and the remains of an industrial site and the aquaculture in the dam itself.. its more than just deforested.

Are you surprised by the decision to recommend approval?

Would this be granted in Glencoe? I'd say no chance. 

Removed User 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Would this be granted in Glencoe? I'd say no chance. 

A zip wire into the Clachaig bar might be fun.🍺

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...