UKC

Laxatives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 16 Sep 2018

My brother recently had constipation and took a laxative - presumably an over the counter sort. I don't know how many he took but I would assume that if he observed the correct dosage there would not be any problems. I'm assuming that in normal dosages over the counter ones are relatively mild - just enough to get you moving again.

As far as I know he took the laxative circa Wednesday but has had the runs virtually non stop since.

He sought medical advice but was merely told to take immodium. This sounds to me to be a case of treating the symptoms rather than the cause and was an example of being fobbed off because it was a Saturday evening.

Any advice please? Please NO lavatorial jokes or comments. Given his health history and age we are concerned about him.

Rigid Raider 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

You really need to find out what he took then have a chat with a proper gastroenterologist; a GP probably won't have the depth of understanding of the bowel to shed light on it.

My inclination would be not to double insult the bowel by taking something else. Give him oral rehydration salts or let him drink flat cola if you're worried about his overall health.

marsbar 16 Sep 2018

Oral rehydration 

1 litre of water, 6 level teaspoons sugar, 1/2 a level teaspoon of salt. 

Removed User 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> You really need to find out what he took then have a chat with a proper gastroenterologist; a GP probably won't have the depth of understanding of the bowel to shed light on it...

Thanks. We'll see how things go today. If there's still a problem tomorrow  then I think it will be tine for assertive action with the medics

MG 16 Sep 2018

> Thanks. We'll see how things go today. If there's still a problem tomorrow  then I think it will be tine for assertive action with the medics

To do what? 

Removed User 16 Sep 2018
In reply to MG:

> To do what? 

Does it not occur to you that, having had the shits for five days that there may be cause for further investigation?

Post edited at 09:16
 MG 16 Sep 2018
 marsbar 16 Sep 2018

Chances are he had a bit of a back up behind the constipation, or its a coincidence that he got a bug at the same time, or the laxative upset his stomach. 

I'd also take a look at his kitchen.  I've known a lot of older people have a real fear of wasting food, which is understandable, but can cause them to reheat stuff over and over.  Not good. Particularly if it's left out in a warm kitchen in between.

marsbar 16 Sep 2018

Is he managing to eat? 

Timmd 16 Sep 2018

Could he he try eating eggs?

Removed User 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

I was told to take a large glass of whisky with a teaspoon of Bisto.

It doesn't cure it but it makes you feel better while thickening it up.

Seriously, if it's a stomach bug the best thing to do is starve it which means fasting.

Timmd 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed User: I've found drinking water helpful if I try some pork or chicken while cooking and my stomach later ends up gurgling and feeling funny, it seems to dilute whatever is happening.  The whiskey and Bisto is sounds like something to remember. 

Post edited at 14:25
 marsbar 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Whisky and Bisto is a joke!

cander 16 Sep 2018
In reply to marsbar:

Sounds ok to me, I used to drink oxo when I was a kid, very tasty and I can only speculate the addition of whisky would only enhance the experience.

Removed User 16 Sep 2018

Brother took two imodium last night and was ok until 3am this morning when it kicked off again. He's taken four imodium today(max dosage is six) with no effect. He's as bad now as he was pre Imodium.

I've told him to GO to the doc first thing in the morning.

Timmd 16 Sep 2018
In reply to marsbar:

> Whisky and Bisto is a joke!

Just call me 'face value Tim' I guess. 

Post edited at 19:33
Lusk 16 Sep 2018

You're asking for medical advice about bowel trouble on an internet forum, but barring us posting shit jokes?
That's just not fair!

Real life doctors exist for a reason.

ThunderCat 16 Sep 2018

A Rigid Raider is probably what he's hoping for.

Albert Tatlock 16 Sep 2018

Tell your brother to eat an Oxo cube , that should thicken up his bum  gravy .

Albert

alx 16 Sep 2018
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> Tell your brother to eat an Oxo cube , that should thicken up his bum  gravy .

> Albert

He needs some sieved cornflour, that thickens a gravy up a treat. Also has a homeopathic remedy been tried?

Dr.S at work 16 Sep 2018
In reply to alx:

Take some runny poo, mix it with water until none is left and drink the result? You first chum!

marsbar 16 Sep 2018
In reply to cander:

The salt in oxo might help.

wercat 16 Sep 2018
In reply to alx:

I always found the best thing with the runs was first starvation except for water then after a time overdone toast and Bovril or Marmite made as a drink. Either can be thickened with something like rolled oats/ready brek.

Post edited at 21:36
 Ian_Cognito 16 Sep 2018

As a regular user of laxatives (for reasons I'm not going into here), I can tell you that they can produce varying results, depending on recent diet, hydration levels, exercise, bowel sensitivity and whether you're used to them or not. They usually work by irritating the gut lining so it tries to expel what's causing it.

Assuming he's been taking the typical "over the counter" oral version (Dulcolax - bisocodyl), I've known them "take effect" from as little as 3 hours to, more usually, 6-8 hours and the "effects" to last from an hour, or so, to having lingering effects a few hours later, but I've never known them to last for more than about 18 hours from time of administration. 5mg is enough to "get you moving", 10mg (max single dose) is more of a clear-out - if you need more than that in 24 hours, I'd be off to the doctor.

Other drugs will vary and can be particularly nuclear, usually only on prescription and usually only before some sort of internal exam/surgery. A med student I once knew used to bang on about the powers of phenol phthalein and, if you're after a good laugh, Google "the picolax thread".

Next time, get him to try eating more pineapple or kiwi fruit - both contain an enzyme which draws water into the gut and can help things move.

Rigid Raider 17 Sep 2018

When I get diarrhoea on Africa trips, cutting out dairy products works well as the bacteria are usually those that thrive on lactose. 

krikoman 17 Sep 2018

If he's had the shits for 5 days, he needs to be very careful. He'll be losing potassium and low potassium can bring on a heart attack.

Make sure he's still eating and do take Immodium.

I was brought up that if you had the shits, you should stop eating, "it's you body trying to get rid of something bad". This advice is shit, pardon the pun, he should try and carry on as normal.

Obviously, get to the doctor again, too.

summo 17 Sep 2018

With it lasting this long they have to go to the doctor, so trot on down there. Take of log of everything he has taken to try and resolve it with him. They might also want a sample, which shouldn't be a problem. 

Gavin 17 Sep 2018
In reply to Ian_Cognito:

I wondered how long it would be before 'Picolax' got mentioned...

graeme jackson 17 Sep 2018
In reply to summo:

> With it lasting this long they have to go to the doctor, so trot on down there. Take of log of everything he has taken to try and resolve it with him. They might also want a sample, which shouldn't be a problem. 

I saw what you did there. almost fell off my stool

Removed User 18 Sep 2018

Brother went to Dr. yesterday. She told him to stop taking Imodium and take cocodamol(which constipated him in the first place) He took two last night and one today but is still shitting through the eye of a needle. Aoparently it's still as bad as it has been.

We've told him to get back on to the Dr. Trouble is he lives fifty miles away and lives by himself and will not communicate with any neighbours. I think it's time to get our NBC suits out

marsbar 18 Sep 2018

You didn't mention that before.  Cocodamol causes constipation but stopping it suddenly can cause the runs. 

Are you sure he started taking it again?  

Removed User 18 Sep 2018

In reply to

> Are you sure he started taking it again?  

He says he has

DaveHK 18 Sep 2018
In reply to alx:

> Also has a homeopathic remedy been tried?

I think someone already mentioned drinking water.

Post edited at 18:05
 marsbar 18 Sep 2018

I'd continue to follow the doctors advice and maybe make sure he is taking it.  He may not want to as he may think this is what caused the problem to start with.  

marsbar 18 Sep 2018

I'd also suggest that you may find help and support here.  

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/elderly_parents

It's not just for mums and it is for any older relatIves.   

Removed User 18 Sep 2018
In reply to all:

Thanks for help, advice and support

Removed User 19 Sep 2018

The quandary now is that we really need to go there to sort things out, clean up etc. By all accounts the place is filthy, dirty loo and bath room etc. He probably hasn't wahed properly. The problem is that we could finish up getting the runs as well. Catch 22.

Removed User 19 Sep 2018

Poor bugger tried to make an appointment to see dr. this morning (now being in pain)but couldn't get through. He went to the surgery and the receptionist told him to get out before he contaminated the place.

Toerag 19 Sep 2018

Someone needs to get over there and clean up - no matter what's happening unhygienic conditions are going to stop things getting better or make them worse.

Has the doc taken a stool sample to analyse? If not, WTF are they playing at?

Removed User 19 Sep 2018

In reply to

> Has the doc taken a stool sample to analyse? If not, WTF are they playing at?

Not as far as I know. We phoned the dr and managed to get him an appointment.

Rigid Raider 19 Sep 2018

If my elderly neighbours are anything to go by, he will be eating out of date food, warmed and re-heated food and not washing properly and his kitchen dishcloths and towels will be a filthy and stinking soup of bacteria. They had to change the bathroom carpet - 'nuff said. They refused to acknowledge there was anything wrong and it took months of effort by us and their daughters to get them to accept carers and meals on wheels. 

Gone 19 Sep 2018

> The quandary now is that we really need to go there to sort things out, clean up etc. The problem is that we could finish up getting the runs as well. 

Bring your own marigolds and cleaning fluids and don’t have anything to eat or drink in a contaminated area, wash afterwards and you should be OK. Hospital cleaners have to deal with far worse - doesn’t sound like norovirus as that would be coming out of both ends.

marsbar 19 Sep 2018

Quite likely.  MIL refuses to waste food and keeps reheating stuff she shouldn't.  

marsbar 19 Sep 2018

Does he get any sort of official support?  If you do clean up you might want to take photos first in case you need to prove he needs help in future.   

If you are worried about your own health perhaps paying a cleaner might be an option?  

Removed User 19 Sep 2018

UPDATE:

Brother saw a doc this morning who gave hime a VERY thorough examination and concluded that he was, in fact, constipated and what was coming out was fluid.

I have heard of similar cases where the runs turns out to be just the opposite.

Doc has put him on a mild laxative.

abr1966 19 Sep 2018

It'll be overflow....not a pleasant phrase but very common! Glad a doc has seen him and felt his tummy! 

Timmd 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing: Fancy that. That the runs isn't. That's something quite useful to remember. A bit like the sense of having had a premonition that one was going to have an accident after becoming concussed - the sense of premonition is a consequence of concussion, and is nothing to do with missing any signs before the event.

Post edited at 18:54
Bogwalloper 19 Sep 2018

Was it this stuff?

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=k9YUd_1537329703

W

marsbar 19 Sep 2018

It does happen.  Hope he gets better soon.  

krikoman 20 Sep 2018
In reply to Bogwalloper:

Jesus, what a nightmare, not very funny either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...