UKC

Leaking Domestic Radiator - Boiler Pressure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 09 Jan 2018

We've got a leaking radiator which we're waiting to replace. In the meantime the boiler pressure keeps dropping and no amount of repressurising will maintain the pressure.

I've turned the thermostat(?) at the end of the radiator right down but does this actuall stop the flow of water into the radiator? If not I presume that the constantly decreased pressure is a result of the leak.
Post edited at 10:37
Lusk 09 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

You need to turn the other valve off as well, at the other end of the radiator.
 jkarran 09 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

If the pressure is constantly dropping it's escaping somewhere, either out of the overflow valve or via leaks on you radiator circuit. Shut both valves on the rad. It could be leaking elsewhere, joints often seem to leak worse when warm so the leakage evaporates and you don't get wet/stained tell tale patches.
jk
 krikoman 09 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:
> I've turned the thermostat(?) at the end of the radiator right down but does this actuall stop the flow of water into the radiator?

It should do if it's working, you also need to shut the valve on the other end of the radiator, to isolate it from the system. Take the cap (usually white) off and use a spanner.

Edit: see above, I must be slow typing today
Post edited at 11:30
OP mypyrex 09 Jan 2018
Both valves now off. I'll see what that does.
Thanks all.
 springfall2008 09 Jan 2018
In reply to mypyrex:

If it does you are luckly, drain the radiator and replace the bad value.

Normally the leak is in the connection between the copper pipe and the value so you have to drain the whole system down and replace it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...