UKC

Learning bass guitar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spartacus 25 Mar 2019

I’m about to start learning bass guitar. I wonder if the UKC collective wisdom could suggest best app to learn from. 

Thanks in anticipation 

Baron Weasel 25 Mar 2019
In reply to spartacus:

A good friend of mine started learning in his 40's about 3-4 years ago. He goes for a lesson every few weeks which should help him to avoid learning bad habits.

Wimlands 25 Mar 2019
In reply to spartacus:

Start with the Blues, 4 notes a bar, same pattern, 16 bars.

you can listen to Cery’s Blues show and play along.

no experience of apps i’m afraid but YouTube has a lot of help out there....

Post edited at 08:32
OP spartacus 25 Mar 2019
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I was thinking a few one to one lessons along the way may be a good start.!

I appear to have recently gained a ‘dislike stalker’ on all my recent posts. Does this mean I’ve finally arrived on the UKC scene!

Baron Weasel 25 Mar 2019
In reply to spartacus:

> I appear to have recently gained a ‘dislike stalker’ on all my recent posts. Does this mean I’ve finally arrived on the UKC scene!

It does Welcome to the scene bro!

graeme jackson 25 Mar 2019
In reply to spartacus:

I learned 40 something years ago when it was a case of watching what your heroes did and copying them (in my case, Chris Squire, John Entwhistle etc were 'en vogue').  Nowadays folk on the basschat forum seem to be in awe of Scott Devine's bass lessons on youtube.  Should be a simple enough google but I can't access youtube from my work PC.  I'd also recommend joining the forums on www.basschat.co.uk  There's a zillion years of accumulated wisdom on there and most of us don't bite. 

felt 25 Mar 2019
In reply to spartacus:

https://www.amazon.com/Play-Electric-Bass-Carol-Kaye/dp/B00321GXBO

I'd forget cheating the difficulty with apps and so-on and learn the old-fashioned way. Reading music and everything. This book -- from the world's greatest least-known bassist  -- is a good starting point.

Dave Garnett 25 Mar 2019
In reply to spartacus:

I taught myself to play when I was still at school (after a fashion).  However, what I discovered was that, although I have pretty good pitch and melody (and played guitar), I was hopeless at rhythm. 

I think it's probably easier for someone who plays drums to become a good bassist than it is for someone, like me, who is always drawn to the melody and harmony. 

felt 25 Mar 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

One could always model oneself on someone like Phil Lesh or John Entwistle, both really among the melodic centres of their bands. There are worse models!

Dave Garnett 25 Mar 2019
In reply to felt:

> One could always model oneself on someone like Phil Lesh or John Entwistle, both really among the melodic centres of their bands. There are worse models!

Yes.  It wasn't by accident that we used to play Pinball Wizard!

Ramblin dave 25 Mar 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

>  Nowadays folk on the basschat forum seem to be in awe of Scott Devine's bass lessons on youtube. 

I'd second this, I've watched a few and they seem to be good. Sound advice and friendly, down-to-earth presentation. Find his youtube channel ("Scott's bass lessons") and then check his playlists to find stuff that interests you.

OP spartacus 25 Mar 2019
In reply to spartacus:

Thanks for the advice all, so much stuff on u tube it gets confusing.

OP spartacus 25 Mar 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

I am a big fan of Roxy Music’s Alan Spenner (now deceased). The sounds he produced in numbers like ‘Rain, Rain, rain’ and ‘Running wild’ on the flesh and blood album, were incredible. It sounded like the base was talking and really expressive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...