UKC

Local elections

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 03 May 2019

Big losses for the Cons, also for UKIP (% wise) while big gains for the Lib Dems (others & Greens)

What impact will this have on Brexit ,as in shaping policy etc.?

In reply to Flinticus:

33% turnout in Kirklees. I really really hate people

pasbury 03 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Well according to Mrs May a massive swing to remain parties means we, the electorate, want the parties we didn't vote for to get on with brexit.

Clueless or what?

dh73 03 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

none presumably? I cannot see Westminster giving a stuff about what some council in the boondocks thinks about anything

dh73 03 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

on a tangent, our local council has not declared any results yet. I don't think they started counting until mid-morning - lazy ba**ards! what happened to counting through the night? is this cost cutting?

Tringa 03 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I don't know if it will have an impact on Brexit. I doubt it because even though there was a swing to remain parties (though any swing away from the Conservatives and Labour was likely to be towards a party supporting remain), we know that while the House can vote repeatedly on Brexit issues, it would be undemocratic to allow the common folks to have another vote.

As a lifelong Labour support I think the party should hang its collective head in shame. We have had about three years of the Conservatives being an unmitigated disaster and Labour have failed spectacularly to capitalise on it.

Dave

dh73 03 May 2019
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

much to my shame, the majority of the 34.1% that bothered to turn out in my area voted UKIP. presumably not bothered to be associated with morons who make jokes about rape and have barely enough intelligence to hide their racist views. cretins

pasbury 03 May 2019
In reply to dh73:

To paraphrase Stewart Lee: it’s not just racists who vote for UKIP, not at all; all the c*nts do too.

dread-i 03 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

It's all about the will of the people. Their views must be respected, no matter what.

As the cons have lost nearly 800 seats so far, I think the people have given them an overall mandate to feck off.

skog 03 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> What impact will this have on Brexit ,as in shaping policy etc.?

May: results message is: "Just get on and deliver Brexit."

Corbyn: "There’s a huge impetus on every MP – and they’ve all got that message, whether they themselves are leave or remain, or the people across the country – that an arrangement has to be made, a deal has to be done, parliament has to resolve this"

So the two Brexiteers-in-chief are taking the strong vote for Remain parties to mean that we should get on with their version of Brexit - I think I'll go with "not a lot of impact"...

john arran 03 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

If only Boris Johnson had shown some honest leadership in encouraging Tory supporters to vote!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5lp95IW4AQhVbV?format=png&name=900x900

Edit: In case your media is blind to such things, there was no election in the constituency of BJ's home address!

Post edited at 16:02
 The Lemming 03 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Why is it every time a politician loses they say that they will listen to the voters and learn the lessons?

Maybe its political speak for "Ahh fek it, we fekin fekity fek lost"

Offwidth 03 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

My view copied from the fudge thread...

In some northern constituencies maybe Labour lost votes to Tories for this brexit reason but they still usually won the councils. You have to be brain-dead to punish the main parties as an angry brexit supporter by voting for solid remain parties. I think the Greens and the Lib Dems have prepared well, dealt with real local issues and are getting remain votes from the main two parties.  All this doorstep brexit talk is just the expected main concern of angry brexiteers (and the angry neutrals who are OK with brexit) when facing main party activists; given the mess the two main parties have put us all in compared to their promises. What did Tory or Labour canvassers expect?....  However, if they were voting on that issue en masse, to signal a desire for brexit, then UKIP would have done much better. I simply don't buy that they all didn't vote.

I think Labour need to keep their huge number of young pro European votors on board somehow or they will face the wrath that the Lib Dems experienced over student fees.   

I await the european elections to see how much voting power the brexiteers really have.... I really doubt the two brexit parties will do as well combined as UKIP did last time, partly as other people are starting to realise leaving european voting to brexiteers and far right racists is very unwise.

I made the point before that brexit support in Labour in the north was probably overstated in the press and as such I'm not convinced there are many constituencies where Labour voters voted for brexit by a large margin. I gave an example of a 70% Labour voting constituency with a 70% brexit vote. A possible way that happened is 50% Labour brexit vote and 90% of the remaining 30% of voters (giving a 62% brexit vote from the same people) and a 14% increased turnout from the more highly motivated  brexit voters) .

Bojo 03 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I see the LibDems are claiming to be "back in business".

Errr...

"...go back to your constituencies and prepare for government...."

David Steel, 1981

This really is a party that lives in cloud cuckoo land

Tom Valentine 03 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> To paraphrase Stewart Lee: it’s not just racists who vote for UKIP, not at all; all the c*nts do too.

Lee knows better: you don't have to vote UKIP just because you're a racist c*nt and Clarkson is living proof.

In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

> 33% turnout in Kirklees. I really really hate people

That's pretty good for local elections.

In reply to skog:

Write to your MPs and tell them that is NOT what your vote meant.

In reply to Offwidth:

> I think the Greens and the Lib Dems have prepared well

Lib Dems made no effort at all in my ward. Neither did the Tories. In terms of campaign leaflets, it was a battle between the Green and Labour for the most flyers (somewhat off-message for the Greens, surely...?)

baron 03 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

There is a chance that many leave voters could not vote for UKIP given the direction they’ve gone in.

It might be better to vote green or Lib Dem than to vote for their traditional party i.e. Labour or Conservatives just to show their displeasure.

After all it’s only local elections and whether or not the Greens or Lib Dem’s are the parties of remain won’t matter come Euro or general election time.

pasbury 03 May 2019
In reply to baron:

Given that they seem to be generally thick as pigshit, this is just the sort of brilliant strategy I’d expect.

krikoman 03 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

> If only Boris Johnson had shown some honest leadership in encouraging Tory supporters to vote!

>

> Edit: In case your media is blind to such things, there was no election in the constituency of BJ's home address!

two days after JRM said he was the person to lead and unite the party!!

pasbury 03 May 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Yes you're right, i think misquoted him; it should just be 'c*nts do too'

skog 03 May 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

We didn't have local elections here.

In reply to skog:

> We didn't have local elections here.

It was a general exhortation to the thread...

...and anyway, I'm sure your MP will be taking note of the result of the local elections that took place around the country, and of the spin that is being applied to them. You can still tell your MP you don't believe the spin is reflecting your feelings.

Post edited at 18:12
In reply to Flinticus:

Interesting, cheering results. Impact on anything to do with national matters will be tending to zero.

T.

pasbury 03 May 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> Interesting, cheering results. Impact on anything to do with national matters will be tending to zero.

> T.

And on local matters severely limited by lack of funds.

jkarran 03 May 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

On the contrary, by hammering the explicitly pro brexit parties and rewarding the explicitly pro EU we've delivered a clear and thunderous message that we want them all to get on with brexit. Apparently.

Someone pinch me, I must be dreaming.

Jk

Gone for good 03 May 2019
In reply to jkarran:

The reality is that the Tories still have twice the number of councillors than the Labour party. The Labour party have 50% more councillors than the Lib Dems and the Green party have a tiny fraction - 3% -of the overall number of council seats being fought over. The biggest overall winners were independant councillors and who knows where their affiliations lie. It's a very messy picture.

Post edited at 19:12
 skog 03 May 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> It was a general exhortation to the thread...

Makes sense; there are probably some who might listen.

> ...and anyway, I'm sure your MP will be taking note of the result of the local elections that took place around the country, and of the spin that is being applied to them. You can still tell your MP you don't believe the spin is reflecting your feelings.

My MP really doesn't care, he's a hardline brexiteer in a constituency that voted 67% remain, and I've written to him on more serious, peripherally related, matters just to get a generic "don't give a fvck" response.

The most constructive thing I can do, to do with him, is to help the campaign to get rid of him next general election.

baron 03 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Given that they seem to be generally thick as pigshit, this is just the sort of brilliant strategy I’d expect.

A bit of a generalisation of 17 million people?

oldie 03 May 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

Agree its messy. Possibly another factor is that in many areas the voters are just dissatisfied with how their council has run things so they vote for a different council. However the reason for the poor performance may be largely due to lack of funds due to goverment cuts and prevention of council tax rises, so the vote is just a vote for change that is unlikely to bring results without a massive increase in council income.

pasbury 03 May 2019
In reply to baron:

Correct.

pasbury 03 May 2019
In reply to jkarran:

Farage’s Brexit Party will do well at the polls on the 23rd May.

I look forward to Mrs May and Mr Corbyn interpreting that result as a mandate for a second referendum.

Offwidth 04 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

baron seriously came up with the inital ridiculously oversimplified explanation and you critique the clearly lampooning responses for doing the same??. Brexiters are not all thick they are just less well educated on average ... as such, not being thick, I  see it as insulting to suggest a large proportion voted for parties who are very pro remain. UKIP have a bad smell these days but they are a clearly pro brexit protest vote option....yet they had a very bad election.

Farage's party  needs to get close to the last european election's UKIP vote before I say they have done well. UKIP were flattered in that as only a small fraction of the population bothered to vote. So, on your predicted success for Farage, we will see.... I'm not so sure. His recent protest march was a complete joke numbers wise.

Pan Ron 04 May 2019
In reply to dh73:

> be associated with morons who make jokes about rape and have barely enough intelligence to hide their racist views. cretins

Strange how Sargon of Arkad can make a rape joke (in a very specific circumstance to highlight someone else's indifference to suicide) and the sky falls. While a left leaning comedian makes repeated rape jokes and it's all fine.

That is one of the reasons why "cretons" vote for Brexit - it's one of the few remaining avenues to say "fvck you" to a distorted public discourse from which they are treated unequally. 

PaulScramble 04 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I stood in the local elections and in my opinion the public gave the Tories a slap around the face for being such sappy Europhiles.

MonkeyPuzzle 04 May 2019
In reply to PaulScramble:

Who did you stand for, Paul?

wbo 04 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus: I hope you emphasised how leaving the EU would immediately benefit your provision of local services

PaulScramble 04 May 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

U K I P

MonkeyPuzzle 05 May 2019

No further questions.

pasbury 05 May 2019

> I stood in the local elections and in my opinion the public gave the Tories a slap around the face for being such sappy Europhiles.

Why didn’t they vote UKIP then?

Ian W 05 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Perhaps because the majority now see UKIP for what it really is, and have gone for the libdems, traditionally the moderate tory protest vote destination, or an independent. I also suspect a number of remainer tories have gone away because of the whole shambles of this govt (brexit/ uni credit/ hostile environment/ econonic mismanagement etc etc)

TobyA 05 May 2019

Are you comfortable with your fellow party members? The vlogger chap who keeps going on about his feelings that day on whether he should rape an MP or not. You know, that sort of character.

Robert Durran 05 May 2019

> U K I P

Ah right. The dregs of the pondlife that even that odious shit Farage disowned. Lovely.

pasbury 05 May 2019
In reply to Ian W:

> Perhaps because the majority now see UKIP for what it really is, and have gone for the libdems, traditionally the moderate tory protest vote destination, or an independent. I also suspect a number of remainer tories have gone away because of the whole shambles of this govt (brexit/ uni credit/ hostile environment/ econonic mismanagement etc etc)

The majority have always seen UKIP for what it really is. It was only ever respectable because in wasn’t the likes of Tommy Robinson-Tarquin-Yaxley-Clickbait who led it but a clubbable beer drinking jolly chap instead.

UKIP supporters have had a massive blindspot I suppose and hadn’t realised that there was a real thread of racism and bigotry in the party that they supported, they’ve now donned the hair shirt and defected so far beyond their natural constituency that they’ve ended up at Liberal Democracy, a political philosophy whose very name would have previously given them hives.

baron 05 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Didn’t 4 million people vote for UKIP at one election.

That’s a lot of people who were wearing blinkers.

pasbury 05 May 2019
In reply to baron:

Correct.

baron 06 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Luckily we’ve got the Brexit party to defect to in the Euro election.

Offwidth 06 May 2019
In reply to baron:

Lucky?  Has anything really changed in Farage's new party

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/05/brexit-party-figures-who-l...

pasbury 07 May 2019
In reply to baron:

> Luckily we’ve got the Brexit party to defect to in the Euro election.

Enjoy your defectation.

In reply to pasbury:

I take it that that was a clever piece of word invention.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...