UKC

Lock Down Lunatics in the North East.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Billhook 13 Jan 2021

https://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/news/19009067.rescue-team-call...

4  males out for a drive in the North York Moors.

From Middlesborough.

And this took place at Castleton some 10 - 15 miles from Middlesborough.

Bit of 'harmless fun, on't moors can't hurt anyone can it?.  Which bit of "stay at home", or "stay local which means within your own village, town or part of city", didn't they understand?.

I'm sure the rescue teams really enjoyed being called out. Not!

Post edited at 19:12
 Blue Straggler 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Billhook:

I am from around there. 
I left there.
I stayed away! 

bouldery bits 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I am from around there. 

> I left there.

> I stayed away! 

What part of 'stay local' don't you people understand????!?!?!???

Post edited at 20:46
 EdS 13 Jan 2021

From Stockton and did likewise 

In reply to EdS:

> From Stockton and did likewise 

Did you see that they erected a statue of John Walker (in a shopping centre!) but it was the wrong John Walker and nobody noticed for years? I was actually born in Stockton but didn't grow up there. Used to go to the Dovecot for my arthouse cinema fix. That nightclub (The Mall?) had some sort of mythical status for us (I was more Redcar/Saltburn) like it was Studio 54 or something  

Dave the Rave 13 Jan 2021

Did you ever have that local chicken delicacy? What’s it called ? A flat chicken with an Italian theme?

In reply to Dave the Rave:

Parmo. Nope! 

wintertree 13 Jan 2021

> Parmo. Nope! 

When I stayed at the Yosemite Bug, on the Thursday night their special meal was a “Chicken Parmesan” all the way from an exotic place called Middlesbrough.

Best eaten at 2 am after a night out on the town though.  Haven’t hit the town there in 15 years...

richprideaux 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Billhook:

> 4  males out for a drive in the North York Moors.

> From Middlesborough.

> I'm sure the rescue teams really enjoyed being called out. Not!

Yes, MRT members hate every second of being on a team. It's a well known fact.

FactorXXX 13 Jan 2021
In reply to richprideaux:

> Yes, MRT members hate every second of being on a team. It's a well known fact.

Maybe, but I bet that being in the middle of a pandemic that they would rather not be called out to sort out the mess caused by feckless idiots... 

mondite 13 Jan 2021
In reply to richprideaux:

> Yes, MRT members hate every second of being on a team. It's a well known fact.

dunno if I would be wanting to do moving water rescue work in the middle of the night though with rising waters.

Dr.S at work 13 Jan 2021
In reply to wintertree:

At times I'm moved to ask is anybody (or there families) not from the North East.

Happy child hood days in Stuart Park, and eating Great Ayton Pork Pies on Roseberry or Captain Cooks....

wintertree 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I’ve long assumed the over representation of the north east on UKC is a figment of my imagination brought on by my perception bias.

I’m looking forwards to the spring and the easing of restrictions, Jr & I climbed Roseberry after her 3rd and 4th birthdays (delayed after the 4th by lockdown) and she’s already fretting at me to get the chocolate spread in for her 5th birthday summit sandwich.

Pretty gutted tonight at the amber snow warning - normally I’d be heading to Roseberry or Gormire tomorrow but not this winter.

Post edited at 23:39
 Dr.S at work 13 Jan 2021
In reply to wintertree:

My Grandparents were all Middlesborough based, so Redcar, the NYM etc were the bread and butter of my childhood. Have not taken the youth up Roseberry yet - long trek from North Somerset!

graeme jackson 14 Jan 2021

> At times I'm moved to ask is anybody (or there families) not from the North East.

I'm from Blyth. Anyone south of the Tyne is considered a southerner to my Ilk. 

peppermill 14 Jan 2021
In reply to wintertree:

> When I stayed at the Yosemite Bug, on the Thursday night their special meal was a “Chicken Parmesan” all the way from an exotic place called Middlesbrough.

> Best eaten at 2 am after a night out on the town though.  Haven’t hit the town there in 15 years...

Oooft. Dirty Parmo.

Now that brings back teenage memories. The finest takeaways would provide a repeat prescription service for simvastatin

Post edited at 09:02
OP Billhook 14 Jan 2021
In reply to wintertree:

If the video I posted on here a day or two ago** is anything to go by you'll be lucky if you find  any parking space anywhere that is not already occupied with other vehicles.

** I think this is it:-

https://www.facebook.com/nymmouk/posts/1892141630926484?__cft__[0]=AZVUVbj-...

The "stay at home" message seems to encourage people to go out more.

Post edited at 09:21
 ianstevens 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Billhook:

I'll second this - I live on the southern edge of the moors and every time I've walked up there (c. 1 hour) the car parks have been rammed. 

shantaram 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler: I was brought up in Teeside and left in the late 80s. Parmos didn’t exist during my Teeside years, but have now become famous cuisine. A parmo still hasn’t passed my lips. 
Some of my youthful hangouts were Trader Jacks, the Green Dragon and the Dovecot in Stockton with the occasional foray into the Mall. Trips to the Boro involved The Shakespeare and Teeside poly bar to rub shoulders with the students. 

richprideaux 14 Jan 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Maybe, but I bet that being in the middle of a pandemic that they would rather not be called out to sort out the mess caused by feckless idiots... 

...so which are the callouts that MRT members are happy to attend, and which are the ones they pass judgement on? I wasn't aware that MRTs operated under a system of moral assessment*

*although this does seem to be the way that most team Press Officers see things

DaveHK 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Billhook:

I seem to remember you being anti-lockdown during the first one. What's changed?

webbo 14 Jan 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

The great unwashed are visiting his area.

Andy Gamisou 14 Jan 2021
In reply to graeme jackson:

> I'm from Blyth. Anyone south of the Tyne is considered a southerner to my Ilk. 

I'm from Ashington.  We considered anyone from south of the river Blyth to be southerners (together with all the shandy drinking that implies).

OP Billhook 14 Jan 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

You are right - what a good memory.  Whats changed? 

There were relatively few deaths earlier on, or infections, or overloading of the NHS.  Now we are several months down the road and it will obviously get worse unless we all stick to the restrictions, even if we don't like them.

Lankyman 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

No! Bloody No!!

Once again a thread aimed at demonising feckless morons has degenerated. 'Useless tw@ts on Ingleborough' became some nit-picking legal argument about Scotch people breaking 5-mile limits by going up the Ochills from Lesser Glenbumfluff or from Higher Wankoffee. Now everyone's reminiscing about their broken childhood memories of the North East. Mods please put a stop to this!

Kevster 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Southerner sir? Lol. 

If it's any help when I worked in the north east, the great unwashed seemed to be quite prolific. But then I never lived in the posh parts either. 

Now questioning if I ever washed.... 

And what the longest I ever went without a proper shower or bath. I bet it was over 3 months..  

bouldery bits 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Billhook:

> You are right - what a good memory.  Whats changed? 

> There were relatively few deaths earlier on, or infections, or overloading of the NHS.  Now we are several months down the road and it will obviously get worse unless we all stick to the restrictions, even if we don't like them.

Maybe if we stuck to them first time round....

Herdwickmatt 14 Jan 2021
In reply to graeme jackson:

> I'm from Blyth. Anyone south of the Tyne is considered a southerner to my Ilk. 

Clearly not from North Blyth/Cambois then, when anyone south of the river Blyth is a southerner....

EdS 14 Jan 2021
In reply to shantaram:

Later 80s learnt to drink in The Dovecot and Number 9 /Talbot then on to Potters Bar and 21s......

Still not had a Parmo myself... But I did go to school with one of the Suggitts' girls

Andy Gamisou 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

You're just jealous because your home town didn't produce two footie world cup winning team members. 

Of course you're right though.  Nostalgia isn't what it was.

Post edited at 12:07
 artif 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Ha!

Anyone from the wrong side of the Tamar is Northern!!! : )

john arran 14 Jan 2021
In reply to EdS:

> From Stockton and did likewise 

Ditto.

john arran 14 Jan 2021
In reply to wintertree:

Apparently I climbed Roseberry shortly prior to being born, while me mam was nearly a month overdue!

Lankyman 14 Jan 2021

> You're just jealous because your home town didn't produce two footie world cup winning team members. 

Just had to check on this. If my Wikipedia trawl is correct there were two Liverpudlians in the 1966 England squad - Ian Callaghan and Gerry Byrne. So shove that in your stottie and smoke it!!

EdS 14 Jan 2021
In reply to artif:

Anyone south of the Tees is a southerner

In reply to Lankyman:

Glenbumfluff.....Higher Wankoffee.

🤣🤣....have you thought about stand up?

I am now thinking of the rudest place name in Britain??

Post edited at 13:47
 Tom Valentine 14 Jan 2021
In reply to EdS:

Anyone south of Meadowhall is a cockney.

Andy Gamisou 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Just had to check on this. If my Wikipedia trawl is correct there were two Liverpudlians in the 1966 England squad - Ian Callaghan and Gerry Byrne. So shove that in your stottie and smoke it!!

Hmm - seems they weren't of quite the same caliber though (had to wait until something like 2007 for their winners medals).

Smoke and stottie - would smoked salmon and avocado stottie be just too bourgeois for Ashington?  Yes, probably.

Post edited at 14:03
 Lankyman 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

> I am now thinking of the rudest place name in Britain??

There's a Tw*tt in Shetland. Can't you just picture Stanley Baxter doing a sketch on that?

Iamgregp 14 Jan 2021
In reply to EdS:

From Durham.  Same.

Blue Straggler 14 Jan 2021
In reply to shantaram and the other "jumpers for goalposts" reminiscers:

Specifically I am from Marske-by-the-sea, a coastal (!) village(*) nestled between Saltburn and Redcar (now physically adjoining Redcar due to housing expansion pretty much linking them). 
My underage drinking occurred mostly in The Marine at Saltburn, Leo's and The Hydro in Redcar, and the Black Swan and Tap and Spile in Guisborough. 
I rarely had any kind of takeaway food and certainly not a parmo. I was never very "Middlesborough". Marske, Saltburn and Guisborough (where I went to sixth form college) were considered poncey, posh and pretentious from a "hardman" Redcar/Middlesborough viewpoint! 
I left for uni at 18, and my parents relocated inland to a quiet village near Darlington, so I rarely revisit Teesside. 
Never really went clubbing as it wasn't my thing and anyway I was such a runt, at 16-17 I looked more like 14-15 and was lucky to even be served in pubs. I wasn't going to face the indignity of being turned away from Revels, Sharky's or Philmores! 

edit
The asterisk on "village" is because we were told for years that it was the biggest village in England or Britain, easily the size of a "town" but classed as a village because its post office was a sub-branch. I have NO IDEA if this was true. 

Post edited at 16:04
 felt 14 Jan 2021
In reply to wintertree:

I'm from Wallsend like, me.

Only kidding. From Kent really.

OP Billhook 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

There's more than one tw*t up there!!

(There's another Tw*t in Orkney).

Lankyman 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Billhook:

> There's more than one tw*t up there!!

> (There's another Tw*t in Orkney).

Now, this is in no way a racist or Scotophobic post but

'Are there any other tw@ts in Scotland?'

In reply to Lankyman:

Bully Hole Bottom in Wales...

I remember Baxter playing the Dame in Pantomimes...I've just watch Parliamo Glasgow..🤣 a bit before my time...I'm more rc nesbit.

Ian W 14 Jan 2021

> Hmm - seems they weren't of quite the same caliber though (had to wait until something like 2007 for their winners medals).

> Smoke and stottie - would smoked salmon and avocado stottie be just too bourgeois for Ashington?  Yes, probably.

not if the salmon was poached and the avocado had been mistaken for something else. Or nicked.

Andy Gamisou 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Ian W:

> not if the salmon was poached 

I think we'd already established that the salmon was smoked

Herdwickmatt 14 Jan 2021
In reply to felt:

> I'm from Wallsend like, me.

> Only kidding. From Kent really.

It was clear you weren't from Wallsend, you punctuated your sentence.

OP Billhook 14 Jan 2021
In reply to felt:

> I'm from Wallsend like, me.

> Only kidding. From Kent really.

Never mind you can always pretend you're from the NE.  

OP Billhook 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Now, this is in no way a racist or Scotophobic post but

> 'Are there any other tw@ts in Scotland?'

I've come across the odd one or two in the past.  There's quite a few in England too.  Non of them marked on the map of course.  

webbo 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Billhook:

Are you not from Hull.

Removed User 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Billhook:

Meanwhile the Kumbh Mela kicks off in India....

Dr.S at work 14 Jan 2021
In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

> Meanwhile the Kumbh Mela kicks off in India....

Bloody hell!

peppermill 15 Jan 2021

> Meanwhile the Kumbh Mela kicks off in India....

Pffft. Sure it'll be fine if they wear masks..........

(*****Quietly sobs to self*********)

OP Billhook 15 Jan 2021

Ha, Ha !!   Am I from Hull!!  GGGGGrrrrrr  Sorry about 65 miles away - near Whitby.

Teeside is really the midlands

fred99 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> Teeside is really the midlands

You keep those Teesiders "oop t'north".

We don't need any of them "down yer".

felt 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

> It was clear you weren't from Wallsend, you punctuated your sentence.

Very good! Old habits.

felt 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Billhook:

> Never mind you can always pretend you're from the NE.  

I spend most of the time pretending I'm Russian.

Dr.S at work 15 Jan 2021
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Try that line down there some time!

North Somerset is the real North.

Lankyman 16 Jan 2021

When I was growing up anyone outwith Liverpool was termed a Woolyback. It wasn't a complimentary term.

In reply to Billhook: 

> 4  males out for a drive in the North York Moors.

> From Middlesborough.

> And this took place at Castleton some 10 - 15 miles from Middlesborough.

> Bit of 'harmless fun, on't moors can't hurt anyone can it?.  Which bit of "stay at home", or "stay local which means within your own village, town or part of city", didn't they understand?.

> I'm sure the rescue teams really enjoyed being called out. Not!

the bit I’m interested in this part of your text. “stay local which means within your own village, town or part of city"

I’m new to this forum and really enjoy reading some of the comments however who told you the definition of local? Or the distance associated with “local”? It’s a pretty gray area in my opinion.  I live in Middlesbrough, I’m a key worker and will travel to my definition of local which is different from your as I will be travelling outside of my village. I travel to work which i would class as pretty local to me and that’s 22miles each way. So I will be travelling Local during lockdown. This gives me time and space in our great outdoors and to help my mental health.

Michael Hood 18 Jan 2021
In reply to Iphone_wildcamper:

The government should have defined local in the legislation. Their failure to do so was an avoidance of responsibility.

Regardless of the vagueness of "local" it's pretty obvious that the journey being reported on was totally unnecessary.

There's a similar one about a carload going from Manchester to a McDonald's in Uttoxeter. £200+ for a burger and fries, serves them right.

OP Billhook 18 Jan 2021
In reply to Iphone_wildcamper:

""Travel

You must not leave your home unless you have a reasonable excuse (for example, for work or education purposes). If you need to travel you should stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live – and look to reduce the number of journeys you make overall. The list of reasons you can leave your home and area include, but are not limited to:

work, where you cannot reasonably work from home

accessing education and for caring responsibilities

visiting those in your support bubble – or your childcare bubble for childcare

visiting hospital, GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health

buying goods or services that you need, but this should be within your local area wherever possible

outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)

attending the care and exercise of an animal, or veterinary services

If you need to travel, walk or cycle where possible, and plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport. This will allow you to practise social distancing while you travel.""

The full restrictions can be found here and several other Gov.Uk pages
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home#travel

I hope this helps.

Ian W 18 Jan 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

> The government should have defined local in the legislation. Their failure to do so was an avoidance of responsibility.

> Regardless of the vagueness of "local" it's pretty obvious that the journey being reported on was totally unnecessary.

> There's a similar one about a carload going from Manchester to a McDonald's in Uttoxeter. £200+ for a burger and fries, serves them right.

There was also the fairly amusing one reported over the weekend of someone who had driven from Luton to Devizes; he said it was for a McDonalds. The crappest excuse ever, and even more so when Devizes doesn't have a branch of mcDonalds, and Luton has several.........

Andy Long 18 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> There's a Tw*tt in Shetland.

Indeed there is, only it's spelt "Twatt", not "Tw*tt". It's the same Norse word as "thwaite" in N. England, meaning "a cleared place". I always enjoy taking visitors there, not that there's much to see, just a few crofts spread out over a heathery landscape.

Lankyman 20 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Long:

> Indeed there is, only it's spelt "Twatt", not "Tw*tt". It's the same Norse word as "thwaite" in N. England, meaning "a cleared place". I always enjoy taking visitors there, not that there's much to see, just a few crofts spread out over a heathery landscape.

Of course! Why didn't I spot the derivation? There are shedloads of thwaites around here. Too busy sniggering at the Shetland version probably. I'm surprised Shetland had enough trees to have a clearing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...