UKC

London teenager strangled for being gay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 04 Dec 2017

In the slim chance that anybody on here saw anything, I'm sure the police and the victim would be glad of any information.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/teenager-strangled-and-forced-to-apol...

Nobody should feel in danger or be attacked because of who they are (or even who they're perceived to be).
 Pedro50 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Outrageous. Although I'm relieved that he survived, I assumed strangled implied death, like electrocution.

The CCTV footage should ensure that they are collared.
 Trangia 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

> I assumed strangled implied death, like electrocution.

That's what I thought.

But as you say, outrageous.

baron 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:
An outrageous attack.
Any guesses as to the punishment that will be meted out to the attackers when they're caught and convicted?
OP Timmd 04 Dec 2017
In reply to baron:
I've no idea. I just wanted to spread the word/spread their faces. I suppose one might be charged with assault and the other with a hate crime, or one of them with both? I don't know what the penalties are though.

It reminds me of something I once read in my 20's about survival not being just an academic concept, when it comes to difference from the majority and sexuality
Post edited at 18:28
baron 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I was asking because I can't imagine what goes through a person's mind when they find it acceptable to assault another person and steal from them.
The fact that the victim was gay (how do you know if a stranger on a train is gay?) just seems like an excuse to inflict harm and then rob somebody.
How do you rehabilitate such people?
I hope the attackers spend a lengthy time in prison but I fear that they won't.
OP Timmd 04 Dec 2017
In reply to baron:
These two need prompting to look inside of themselves, and think why they hate in the way they do, because they gave the phone back to the person they decided is gay. Apparently the more homophobic a person is, the better they are at spotting when another man is gay, due to (wrongly) sensing gay people as being some kind of threat to them. What they're sensing is something which puts them (more) in touch with what they're not at ease with within themselves.

They probably won't be prompted, though, they'll face justice for what it is, and probably still be a threat. Oh well. :-/
Post edited at 18:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...