UKC

Longest climbing related thread on UKC?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dinodinosaur 03 Nov 2020

Seeing the Gogarth thread up to 275 replies (and a lot of rather long ones at that) who knows of the longest climbing related UKC thread so far? I imagine there are ones on brexit and covid that are fairly long but I'm looking for one that has some relation to climbing. 

FactorXXX 03 Nov 2020
In reply to dinodinosaur:

DJViper?
Chipping in Cornwall?

FactorXXX 03 Nov 2020

E0 and Three Pebble Slab?

elsewhere 03 Nov 2020

Bowlines are dangerous.

FactorXXX 03 Nov 2020

JCT?

Blue Straggler 04 Nov 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> JCT?

Weren’t those mostly JCT-related? With a tokenistic nod toward some climbing that was done decades previously? 

In reply to FactorXXX:

> DJViper?

A good call.

Some of the Mountain Spirit threads got quite long but were mostly about not quite going climbing 

JIMBO 04 Nov 2020

another classic would be....

"gri-gris are dangerous in slow falls"

wilkie14c 04 Nov 2020

Top rope solo? A topic i recently revived myself!

James Pearson grading Walk of Life E12 not long after Macleod did the first E11. Hundreds of experts in how to grade high E-number first ascents somehow emerged from the woodwork to make their opinions well known 

GrahamD 04 Nov 2020
In reply to elsewhere:

> Bowlines are dangerous.

I think the EDK abseil knot probably trumps the bowline.

cb294 05 Nov 2020

Simpson Action Directe?

Mick Ward 05 Nov 2020

Shark taking the chockstones out of Right Eliminate (circa 2003)? Around 1,500 replies, if I remember correctly (and I may not!)  Honesty, honour and total transparency got him absolutely nowhere. And, as it turns out, he was absolutely right in his actions. IIRC not a single soul apologised. Not really our finest hour.

Mick

Mick Ward 05 Nov 2020

Am thinking, can't have been 1,500 replies, surely. Did a quick search but couldn't find it. Must be archived under a 50 years statute (statue?) of limitations.

Mick

Mick Ward 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Thank you. Was only out by a bit! (Maybe I should be organising US votes?)  T'was a biggie though, no doubt about that.

Mick

Pedro50 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

How we all miss Goucho's poetic flights of fancy. 

Rob Parsons 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

> This one had a few...540!

Could be a winner!

Mick Ward 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

> How we all miss Goucho's poetic flights of fancy. 

Indeed!

Mick

Pedro50 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Tyler:

> Did he do it?

It's still on his wish list.

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Could be a winner!

Cost me a fortune in popcorn!

Morty 05 Nov 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> DJViper?

> Chipping in Cornwall?

DJViper Indian Face?

finc00 05 Nov 2020

799 posts arguing about retro bolting in Ratho quarry..... some would call it quality entertainment.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/ratho_quarry_sport_wall_topo-55...

FactorXXX 05 Nov 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Chipping in Cornwall?

A search reveals that it had 856 posts:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ukc/cornish_controversy_-_drilled_cam_slo...

Cyan 05 Nov 2020

Bolts on eroica?

Shani 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> DjViper

> A good call.

Only 326, although it does contain one of the great climbing-related exchanges EVER.

On the matter of climbing Indian Face, DJViper asked, "...can nobody mark me this route on a picture?i would like to try it but cant if i dont know where it goes!!". After several such requests by him there followed a range of links to images of Cloggy with IF marked on it.

Despite being cautioned against an onsight attempt of IF because he'd only done 6c+ indoors he responded with, "please dont take this the rong way but why not?? whts so hard about the route?"

To prove his pedigree he revealed he had, "[done] snowdon no protection quiet a few times including a winter accent straight up the crib". 

I'm going all misty-eyed at how badass & awesome he was. Troll, genius, retard? Was he really part DJ and part snake?

(https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/whos_going_to_onsight_indian_fa...)

Post edited at 22:10
 FactorXXX 05 Nov 2020

Some of the 'Conditions' threads must be quite long.

Rob Parsons 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Shani:

Thanks. Some excellent gnomic contributions from the late, great Norrie Muir in that thread. I am feeling quite nostalgic.

The one about the pair of chumps dry tooling at Millstone caused quite a stir and clocked up a lot but unfortunately I don't know how to tell how many posts it has:  https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/winter_climbing/dry_toolers_at_millstone_...

Post edited at 22:41
 Shani 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Thanks. Some excellent gnomic contributions from the late, great Norrie Muir in that thread. I am feeling quite nostalgic.

Yeah, i know what you mean. It's weird going back and seeing so many old names in the threads, Norrie and Al Evans no longer with us but they live on in digital form.

There are others most definitely with us but either banned, moved to UKB, 'retired', or back under another name.

FactorXXX 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Byronius Maximus:

> The one about the pair of chumps dry tooling at Millstone caused quite a stir and clocked up a lot but unfortunately I don't know how to tell how many posts it has:  https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/winter_climbing/dry_toolers_at_millstone_...

Offwidth 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

Fixed that for you....

How we all miss Goucho's poetic flights of fantasy.

Goucho was sadly a very clever fabrication.

Offwidth 06 Nov 2020

In reply to Ian Parsons:

I think any 'we' in social media memory tends to be flaky but individual reminders can be exceptional. This illustrates the strengths and weaknesses of the medium. I'm stil aghast at the efforts involved in such a fabrication. Thanks again for your detective work.

Ian Parsons 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

Hi Steve

Apologies; have just simultaneously - give or take - deleted my post, as it appeared somewhat snide. Absolutely agree on the amount of effort involved - and the climbing knowledge that must have backed it up.

OP dinodinosaur 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Shani:

So many questions! Did anyone meet DJ viper, did he ever onsight the Indian face, was he a real person and where is he now?

I imagine if not for covid he'd be playing at some wedding in Liverpool or something?  I assume he's that sort of DJ? 

Mick Ward 06 Nov 2020

Think Sloper met up with him for a spot of bouldering at Burbage and reckoned he was totally crap (think he was a beginner - we've all been there) but good craic (surely what matters most?) Think he was a bona fide music DJ. Just a fun, lovable, crazy guy really. His scaling Mount Snowdon will always live on in climbing history, bless him.

Mick

Shani 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

I'll drop Sloper a line and find out (assuming he's overcome the result of the 6N).

Dinodinosaur - apparently he produced some music and i remember it being linked on here. Not bad as i recall.

DjViper did return a few years ago to say "Hi", but i think he was not particularly enamoured with his, ahem, 'legendary status' on UKC. 🤣

In reply to Mick Ward:

Ah wow that's great! Usually these people are trolls who come and go and dissappear. It's nice to know someone met up with him and he was a good bloke! Interested to look for his music now! 

Derry 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> A good call.

> Some of the Mountain Spirit threads got quite long but were mostly about not quite going climbing 

only for the fact he replied "cool beans" or ".... my mate Caff ..." to every post in the thread

Shani 06 Nov 2020

> Ah wow that's great! Usually these people are trolls who come and go and dissappear. It's nice to know someone met up with him and he was a good bloke! Interested to look for his music now! 

From Sloper, "[DjViper was an] utter plum, he had a shit 206 convertible, clealy couldn't climb for toffee eg failing on the easy VDiffs to the left of 20' crack at Burbage north, he was a fantasist and liar and came across as a racist bigot, Ali G ... he made a couple of off colour remarks..."

Post edited at 17:04
In reply to Shani:

:') 

Mick Ward 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Shani:

Holy shit! Clearly my memory's not what it should be. Profuse apologies all round.

Mick

Mick Ward 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Shani:

Maybe Sloper was more tactful at the time?

Mick

Clauso 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Maybe Sloper was more tactful at the time?

I doubt it, somehow... Although, he was at least tactful enough not to compare the Glendalough boulders too unfavourably, versus those that he was typically to be found festering about on in the Peak, when he once visited me in Dublin.

Shani 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Maybe Sloper was more tactful at the time?

> Mick

We must know different Slopers 🤣

Blue Straggler 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Derry:

> only for the fact he replied "cool beans" 

It was “cool as beans” which I think made all the difference ! Disclaimer, I am not attacking the guy, he is enthusiastic and big hearted 

Shani 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Clauso:

I was going to claim to have cracked the code, that the DJ in DjViper stood for Darren Jackson but Sloper has offered the following:

"Just seen Crimper has posted, call him a chip on both shoulders ignorant prole from me."

This was followed up with a claim by Sloper to have [insert unspeakable action] Crimper's [insert relative]".

Don't shoot the messenger!

Clauso 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Shani:

LOLZ!... As, I understand, da yoof say. 

Clauso 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Shani:

P.S. On reflection, please let him know that I'm flattered: it's one of the nicest things that he's ever said to me. 

Basically, he's acknowledged that I'm a well-balanced individual, whilst simultaneously acknowledging his own appalling taste in sexual partners. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...