UKC

Looking Cool in the Eyes of Your Own Kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 02 Nov 2012
Is is possible? It appears not, or at least they won't admit it.

I remember seeing David Beckham getting some lifetime achievement award at a ceremony once, and his kids were all sat at the from looking embarrassed and bored shitless. I suppose if he can't be cool to his own kids I've got no chance...
 Timmd 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

I think I think my dad is kind of cool, but not in 'a trendy and with it' way, more in how he's set out to do his own thing.

That's as cool as anybody can be I think, when they're unfussed about being different, rather than setting out to be, then they end up being themselves.

Like Samual El Jackson wearing a kilt, or Ellen MacArthur doing her thing.
 Timmd 02 Nov 2012

If you try and be cool in the eyes of your kids they'll just notice and think it's uncool. ()
OP Yanis Nayu 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
>
> If you try and be cool in the eyes of your kids they'll just notice and think it's uncool. ()

That's true!
 waterbaby 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Timmd:

You are in your 30's, so you should no longer be cringing in embarrassment at your parents.

I think the op is talking about children who are becoming aware, in their teens.
 waterbaby 02 Nov 2012

Personally I've decided not to worry about it, what I don't know won't bother me. I shall just continue on being me, like it or lump it
 Timmd 02 Nov 2012
In reply to waterbaby:

Good point, I think I only ever wanted to not be with my parents rather than found them uncool though, I was a bit different to some of my friends, while they thought they knew everything and found thier parents really annoying, I was trying to figure out what was going on and I didn't really mind mine much, they just felt on a different wavelength to me. I'd just carry on being you, be drunk and cheery and friendly in front of thier friends. Thier friends will llike you even if you annoy your children.()
cb294 02 Nov 2012
No chance in everyday life. Whatever you do immediately defines uncool.

On holidays it is different, my children (to girls 14 and 16, one boy aged 9) loved hiking for 160 km trackless km through the rocks and mud of Sarek national park, and demand another round next year.

CB
 Tall Clare 02 Nov 2012

Mr TC's kids are remarkably cynical for ones so young (8 and 10) but his son thinks that his ironman completion is reasonable, and his daughter thinks his cake-baking ability is quite good. I think that's as much as he can hope for.
In reply to Tall Clare: Yep, you're never going to do better than that!
 Markew 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity: UK.......Climbing......am I missing something?
 Paddy Duncan 02 Nov 2012
In reply to bongoray:
Indeed you are. My daughter thinks I'm cool because I take her climbing and such things..
 Markew 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Paddy Duncan: my reply is to the topic starter....yours is irrevelant. I also take my child climbing, but its not to try to look cool
 Markew 02 Nov 2012
In reply to bongoray: my spelling is also amiss!
 Brass Nipples 02 Nov 2012

You can't compared to your brother or sister. The aunt or the uncle is always the cool one. Especially if they always turn up bearing gifts....
 angry pirate 02 Nov 2012
My son thinks I'm cool. To be fair he is only three and I am still there to be emulated. I will genuinely be heartbroken when he grows out of this phase and joins the rest of the world in highlighting my limitations on a daily basis
In reply to A Game of Chance:
>
> You can't compared to your brother or sister. The aunt or the uncle is always the cool one. Especially if they always turn up bearing gifts....

Ha! I'm cooler than my brother apparently! Get in...
 Niall 02 Nov 2012

I was having a pint with my Dad last Friday at my sister's wedding party. The young 'uns were buying shots. Next thing glasses were being pushed into our hands.

I could see my dad- he's 65 this year and had cancer 4 years ago- wondering why there was a glass in his glass, but he necked it anyway.
I thought "Holy sh*t I've just done a Jaegerbomb with my Dad!" What a rite of passage.

And it had NO EFFECT AT ALL.

My Dad will always be cool :-D
In reply to Niall: Nice one!
Simon Wells 03 Nov 2012

My son thinks I am the total source of cool, he copies me in every way and he claps and screams at my 'dad dancing'.

He is 22months old?

Does this count???
OP Yanis Nayu 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Simon Wells: Just take it while it lasts...
Wiley Coyote2 03 Nov 2012

You've no chance with your own kids but might impress their friends which might, just might rub off.
I used to visit the Coyote cub when she was at uni to try to make sure she got at least one meal that involved more than alcohol. At her wedding last year one of her flatmates told Mrs C: "We used to (NB that 'used to' think he was so cool. He was always jumping out of planes or going off climbing or skiing. Our dads were all accountants."
OP Yanis Nayu 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Wiley Coyote: Yeah, I did once overhear one of daughter's friends telling her I was cool )))
 colina 03 Nov 2012
In reply to Niall:
>
> I was having a pint with my Dad last Friday at my sister's wedding party. The young 'uns were buying shots. Next thing glasses were being pushed into our hands.
>
> I could see my dad- he's 65 this year and had cancer 4 years ago- wondering why there was a glass in his glass, but he necked it anyway.
> I thought "Holy sh*t I've just done a Jaegerbomb with my Dad!" What a rite of passage.
>
> And it had NO EFFECT AT ALL.
>
> My Dad will always be cool :-D

my dad passed away a short time ago niall and your reply has just brought a tear to my eye. your dad sounds a great bloke mate.cherish him

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...