UKC

Looking for an archaeologist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 13 Nov 2020

I'm developing a site on Skye and I need to find an archaeologist to write an archaeological watching brief for the site (which the council has to clear) and then do the watching part too (hopefully only 2 or 3 days on site). Don't suppose anyone knows any archaeologists who would like to go to Skye for a couple of days? Or even better, already live there?

I contacted a company in Inverness but it was a pretty steep quote and was hoping to find someone who isn't a big company with CiFA accreditation as that all seems a bit overkill.

The site itself is about 1 acre and the condition is there because there was an ancient dun on the summit of a hillock next to the site but in the opinion of the council archaeologist, it is pretty unlikely that anything at all will be found during excavation.

Welsh Kate 13 Nov 2020
In reply to henwardian:

I remember you posting about this a few months ago and I asked some work colleagues. I have a name and company that were recommended, they're in Northallerton though, so currently in English lockdown. I can send you details if you want to get in touch with him for a chat.

OP henwardian 13 Nov 2020
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> I remember you posting about this a few months ago and I asked some work colleagues. I have a name and company that were recommended, they're in Northallerton though, so currently in English lockdown. I can send you details if you want to get in touch with him for a chat.

Yeah, that would be great, thanks!

Yeah, I did ask before. I have a little bit more information than I had before as I know exactly what it is that the council need rather than a slightly generic idea.

65 13 Nov 2020
In reply to henwardian:

I've PM'd you.

Blue Straggler 13 Nov 2020
In reply to henwardian:

good luck digging one up!

More-On 13 Nov 2020
In reply to henwardian:

As a commercial archaeologist I'd happily provide a quote, but as I'm a full member of CIfA based in the Cotswolds and head up the fieldwork team in an office of one of the largest units in England I reckon my quote would fall in to the 'overkill' camp...

...however, I'm very happy to offer some advice to a fellow UKCer - send me a PM if this is of any interest.

OP henwardian 14 Nov 2020
In reply to henwardian:

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll try and fire off some e-mails today and hopefully can get something that is acceptable to the local council and to my pocket

Mark Adams 15 Nov 2020
In reply to henwardian:

Hi,

Try me at mark.adams@headlandarchaeology.com too. I'm based in Merseyside, but the company has an Edinburgh office.

OP henwardian 15 Nov 2020
In reply to Mark Adams:

Thanks Mark, you have mail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...