UKC

Looks like the doctor vote’s gone then

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/05/rees-mogg-condemned-for-co...

Not surprising I suppose that Rees-Mogg is revealing himself as toxic and arrogant. There’s a reason previous governments thought they were better off without him.

jcm

pasbury 05 Sep 2019
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

He is a ninja level piece of privileged shit.

His arrogance in assessing the guy’s mitigation plans was breathtaking.

Anyone taken in by him needs to read a bit of history.

Just another instance of "expert shaming" by the Brexit campaign. Anyone with anything bad to say about Brexit is obviously peddling "project fear" and so has no credibility, whilst the lying cheating Tories running the show should obviously be trusted even when evidence contradicts them. 

Just give them a permanent marker and they could change the weather forecast to suit their rhetoric......

Tringa 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Just another instance of "expert shaming" by the Brexit campaign. Anyone with anything bad to say about Brexit is obviously peddling "project fear" and so has no credibility, whilst the lying cheating Tories running the show should obviously be trusted even when evidence contradicts them. 

>  Just give them a permanent marker and they could change the weather forecast to suit their rhetoric......

Why have the opinion of experts when you can have special advisers?

Don't seem to here the phrase, "project fear", anymore. Couldn't be anything to do with leaving the EU will not be the lead to a golden future and have some of the easiest trade deals in history, could it?

Dave

Dave Garnett 06 Sep 2019

He does seem to be getting a bit rattled by the prospect of being so close to finally taking back control. 

The one thing he had going for him was his image of courtesy and fairly well structured arguments (certainly compared with most of the ERG loons).  At least it's not yet too late to see through the polish to the massive sense of entitlement beneath. 

Hat Dude 06 Sep 2019

You could possibly see in this a miniscule sign of improvement from Jacob!

It's the first time I've ever known him to apologise for anything, though he does seem to have been forced into it.

wercat 06 Sep 2019

Fancy threatening legal action through a megaphone!  10/10 for verve and effect.

ben b 06 Sep 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

>  At least it's not yet too late to see through the polish to the massive sense of entitlement beneath. 

What the hell have the Polish got to do with it? 

sorry

b

Ratfeeder 07 Sep 2019

Rhees-Mogg is a contemptible slime-ball who will use all his erudition and eloquence to argue that black is white - e.g. that proroguing parliament will give MP's more time to debate Brexit, not less (yeah, right, how does that work then?). He and his rich, fascist cronies are the ones who'll benefit from Brexit because, as A C Grayling pointed out two years ago, it'll give them the opportunity to turn the UK into a low-tax, low-regulation economy. Then we won't have the tax revenue to pay for the NHS, state education, a welfare safety-net or environmental protection. They won't give a shit about that because they have private health insurance, send their kids to private schools, are too rich ever to need the welfare safety net and don't care about clean air or water because they can afford to spend their time somewhere else. They only care about reducing their tax bills; the rest of us can be flushed down the sewer as far as they're concerned.

All those ordinary working people who are so keen for this country to leave the EU need to see these creeps for the arrogant liars that they really are and realise they've been like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Greenbanks 07 Sep 2019
In reply to Ratfeeder:

Quality rant. 

birdie num num 07 Sep 2019

I thought it was all a bit tit for tat really. I mean Nicholl did publicly ask Mogg what mortality rate he’d (personally) be prepared to accept if the UK left the EU without a deal. 

Sort of leading the jury really. Just for balance.

I thought you dabbled in legal stuff?

Post edited at 00:30
 deepsoup 07 Sep 2019
In reply to Ratfeeder:

>  they've been like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Working class brexiters have gone way beyond that - those that still support the whole "no deal" thing are turkey slathering themselves in cranberry sauce and shoving handfuls of sage & onion up their own arses.

NathanP 07 Sep 2019

The Bachelors and Masters vote was gone as well.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/89378/fact-check-did-uk-s-better-educated-vote-re...

La benya 07 Sep 2019
In reply to birdie num num:

I prefer your funny posts rather than the brexit apologist ones, which seem to becoming more regular. 

Would you like to give the whole context of that comment? That they were discussing why JRM Was willing to dismiss his work as an expert and assert that people’s lives weren’t at risk and that it was a risk worth taking anyway.... leading to the comment you quote. 

Yanis Nayu 07 Sep 2019
In reply to birdie num num:

Perfectly reasonable question for someone whose job it is treat people’s illnesses to ask of someone in political power intent on a course of action that could prejudice those people’s well-being. 

birdie num num 07 Sep 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

And given the way the question was posed, a perfectly reasonable response really.

Postmanpat 08 Sep 2019

Rees Mogg was stupid  and completely out of order in comparing Nicholl to Wakefield etc.

But we now know that Nicholl is not a neutral observer. He is a hard core anti-Tory remainer. His contribution to yellowhammer, by his own admission was in March. And there is no evidence that it went beyond highlighting the drugs that were essential and were vulnerable to any supply issues. Doctors are not normally experts on supply chains and delivery of drugs.

The industry has made massive steps since March to ensure prompt availability of essential drugs post brexit, probably partly on the basis of Nicholl's contribution. There is no reason the suppose that Nicholl is up to date with the current status of drug logistics..

He was completely out of order in his unsubstantiated  comments.

MonkeyPuzzle 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

You've done a lot of supposing to get from your first line to your last, where you put your own assumptions above the opinion of someone who until recently actually doing the job. Well done.

Postmanpat 08 Sep 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> You've done a lot of supposing to get from your first line to your last, where you put your own assumptions above the opinion of someone who until recently actually doing the job. Well done.

He has produced nothing to show that he has any information beyond March when he said his role was to colour code the risk level of different drugs. Indeed , he doesn't even claim to. He wasn't "doing the job". Drug companies and logistics companies and civil servants "do the job". He just gives input on his speciality which is which drugs he needs and how vulnerable he percieves they are to supply problems.

Postmanpat 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> Silly remoaner Pharmacists have clearly got it all wrong

Quite possibly, although they are simply making responsible comments. But as the link says, they the GHP are not party to talks with the government . The Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee, which has taken part in Brexit talks with the government, was more confident in no-deal Brexit preparations. Simon Dukes, its chief executive, said: “The government had what was, in effect, a robust dress rehearsal for a no-deal Brexit at the start of [2019], and we are confident that they have learned lessons from that experience and are now even better prepared for a possible no-deal Brexit.”

I'm told by people in the industry that there is still work to be done but things are proceeding apace. It's perfectly reasonable for trade associations like the pharmacists to put pressure for that work to be done.Indeed, it's their role.

In that context, Nicholl's fearmongering, is outrageous and unhelpful.

Post edited at 11:12
 Enty 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Postmanpat:

>   Rees Mogg was stupid  and completely out of order in comparing Nicholl to Wakefield etc.

>  

As I read this sentence I knew the next word was going to be "But".

Crying

E

Postmanpat 08 Sep 2019
In reply to Enty:

> As I read this sentence I knew the next word was going to be "But".

> >

Well, I realise that any sort of rational balance is beyond the understanding of some of here

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...