UKC

Lost Pension Tracking advice

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 birks3746 24 Nov 2021

Looking for some help from the UKC hivemind... any recommendations/advice on pension tracking services?

Trying to find my pension scheme from a job I had 10yrs ago is turning into a bit of a nightmare. Company was broken up, sold off and no longer exists, government pension website is drawing blanks, HMRC wasn't any help, and old colleagues have had similar issues with trying to trace...

Has anyone used any private services they would recommend? 

Offwidth 24 Nov 2021
In reply to birks3746:

Cant help on services but please let us know how things pan out.

Have you considered contacting Money Saving Expert or  Money Box?

In reply to birks3746:

Was it a large company or small one?

BAdhoc 24 Nov 2021
In reply to birks3746:

Have you tried PensionBee? I’ve had a decent experience, albeit with relatively easy pension combining. 

Kean 24 Nov 2021
In reply to birks3746:

No expert but had a similar scenario to yours. After considerable sleuthing I found out my pension "pot" had ended up here: https://www.ppf.co.uk/

hokkyokusei 24 Nov 2021
In reply to birks3746:

There's a government service to help you track down pensions you've lost touch with.

https://www.findpensioncontacts.service.gov.uk/

I've used it, it worked for me.

Offwidth 24 Nov 2021
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I thought that didn't help in this case from the OP!?

In reply to birks3746:

> Company was broken up, sold off and no longer exists

Is there no legal obligation for company pension funds to keep in contact with their members? Or register with the regulator?

In reply to Toerag:

Well if it was broken up before new regulations stipulating that it really does not matter.

The counter point could be that the members also have a responsibility to keep the scheme notified of new address etc. Although of course an NI number etc can be used by the scheme to trace everything back. there is always a possibility that as soon as the poster reaches retirment age they might suddenly find a letter from the schem saying they are now entitled to a pension

I suspect the issue is this was a small company. A large company will have procedures in place for managing this as they will have lots of pension members.

In reply to birks3746:

Sorry, I read this as Lost Pensioner Tracking advice...

hokkyokusei 26 Nov 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

> I thought that didn't help in this case from the OP!?

I clearly didn't read the OP carefully enough!

birks3746 26 Nov 2021
In reply to birks3746:

Thanks for all the advice offered so far!

I'll chase up on some of the suggestions. The company I worked for was small-ish - approx 100 employees, I've gone through the government pension tracker with no luck.

BTW I think someone's on to something with the pensioner tracking services, I've frequently lost parents at the crag so if this could be made compatible with rockfax/ukc logbooks that would be ideal.

In reply to birks3746:

Are the directors listed in companies house with their addresses. 

If so I would write to them and ask them for any information they have. 

long shot. But remember they will probably be in the same position as you.  Usually the former FD might be able to help.  

you might be surprised. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...