UKC

Marrakech accommodation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
birdman 03 Oct 2012
Hi,

I'm off to Marrakech in december with the girlfriend which is her birthday treat, however financial pressures have meant that what was intended to be a luxury trip is now having to become more modest.

Can anyone suggest decent (clean) accommodation in Marrakech at a cheap - modest price? All suggestions welcome.

Many thanks.

MarkWoodhouse 03 Oct 2012
In reply to birdman: Hi Birdman - I have been to Morocco a few times and have used Trekking Hostels.

Last went in 2010 - first time since the kids were born - took my wife and 15 year old daughter, flew from villa in Spain (really cheap flights). My daughter loved the hassle from the Moroccans!

Anyway - try http://www.hotel-ali.com/ - if you want Central Marrakech, next to Jemaa El Fna, plenty of action then this is fine. Good basic standard trekking hostel. Food okay (breakfast inclusive - not too much) - plenty of evening meals on terrace, accommodation fine.

All I did with the last booking was emailed them (2 weeks beforehand) my arrivals details and turned up. Very well run and close to the Souk, Medina and the Jemma El Fna.

ps - never been in December? Last time it was August and very hot!
birdman 03 Oct 2012
In reply to MarkWoodhouse:

cheers thanks for the info.

any other suggestions?

mrchewy 03 Oct 2012
In reply to birdman: Having stayed at Hotel Ali, I can't say I'd recommend it! I'd be inclined to stay away from the square to be honest.
In reply to birdman: Could you state an actual budget per night?

You can often get nice, clean, charming little riads for €25-35 per night.

HOnestly, do some research on where you plan to eat - it's very hit and miss. Sometimes the food is nice, often it's not.
 mrchewy 03 Oct 2012
In reply to mrchewy: By that I mean - the rooms we had on two occasions were scabby and the last time, we both slept in sleeping bags as the sheets were filthy. Not as filthy as us after two weeks in the Atlas but you get the picture. That was in January this year.
In reply to Fultonius: P.S. We stayed in this place and it was nice. http://www.azukarmarrakech.com/riad-azukar/en/

I think something is up with their booking page though as there's no way it's €500/night...
 lost1977 03 Oct 2012
In reply to birdman:

i always stay at hotel afrique with its crazy tiling when in marrakesh, its basic and the rooms are clean. bathrooms and showers are shared so can be hit and miss at times
 sargy 03 Oct 2012
In reply to birdman:

I've often stayed at Dar Sil Sila which is right in the heart of the old Medina, and is very luxurious but cheap compared to Europe. Its also quite a romantic place to take your bird too. Highly recommended...

http://www.darsilsila.com/
grice_philip 03 Oct 2012
In reply to birdman: I'd definitely look at riads for quality, price and a more authentic experience. There are loads of really good ones close to the medina, a much better location than most of the better hotels and they don't have to be cheep and cheerful backpacker places. We did most of our research on Trip Advisor and it was spot on for the five places we stayed at.

The only name I can remember is Dar Limoun. I only remember it because it was the best of the lot and in a cracking location. Well worth a look.
 sargy 03 Oct 2012
In reply to birdman:
PS I recently caught the bus to Essaouira on the coast. Its like Marrakech but a lot more chilled out and on a spectacular cliff top location. Its a lot cheaper than Marrakech, and I think I may actually prefer it- Marrakech can get a bit too much after a day or two (I still rate it as one my my favourite cities..)
 Oli 03 Oct 2012
In reply to birdman:
Le borjs de kasbah.
Stayed a few years ago after finding it on Expedia. It was well priced and excellent for the few days we stayed there.
birdman 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Oli:

cheers everyone given me something to look into over the next few days.

Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...