UKC

Mars looking big

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 11 Oct 2020

Just now, can see it through thin could. Won’t be this big for a long time (30 yrs) so go and have a peek. East, and orange. 

Wimlands 11 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Thanks for the reminder... looks great.

Tom Valentine 11 Oct 2020
In reply to Wimlands:

I'd rather have a Bounty 

(actually, I wouldn't :  too yukky)

AndrewSmith45 11 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Thanks for that Mick. Took Robo dog out for a gander, found east and there was one faint star, I thought it was kind of reddish but maybe it was my imagination. Anyway I saw a Tawny so it was definitely worth the trip. Going to check again later and see if the clouds cleared a bit.
Post edited at 22:21
In reply to mick taylor:

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said

this is how it starts...

<shudders>

Yes spotted it the other night. Jupiter pretty bright in the southern sky, and Saturn just east of it. Kids were quite impressed...

Michael Hood 11 Oct 2020
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

My spotting scope has just enough magnification (x36) to be able to see Saturn's rings - as a couple of "handles" with a gap between them and the planet.

If you've got an astronomical telescope then views of Saturn must be pretty good - it's receding now from its closest point a month or so ago - will be 17 (?) years until it's this close again.

Tom Valentine 11 Oct 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

Taking my setup to Galloway this week hoping for some dark skies . (120 mm  f5 Skywatcher). Planets should be good but my main aim is to increase my distance score, at the moment resting at 12 million light years ( live viewing, not imaging)

Michael Hood 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

...and I thought I was "sad" 😁

cb294 12 Oct 2020

It is not only the distance, but also the angle under which the rings can be seen is great right now.

CB

Tom Valentine 12 Oct 2020

Sad? My other ticklist is English funicular railways......

In reply to mick taylor:

Mars may be looking big but is it as big as Uranus?

Fat Bumbly2 12 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Had me fooled a couple of weeks ago.  Camping in Perthshire under a rare sky so clear that horizon objects could be seen easily, I was wondering who was about beyond the trees to the east. A flickering (foliage) orange light at what could have been ground level. 

Rust never looked so good.

Tringa 12 Oct 2020

> My spotting scope has just enough magnification (x36) to be able to see Saturn's rings - as a couple of "handles" with a gap between them and the planet.

> If you've got an astronomical telescope then views of Saturn must be pretty good - it's receding now from its closest point a month or so ago - will be 17 (?) years until it's this close again.

I had good views of Saturn and Jupiter towards the end of September with my spotting scope. The only drawbacks were the field of view isn't that big so they were a bit difficult to find and being low down the view was through a lot of the atmosphere, but both were good to see.

As you say the gap between the rings and Saturn was visible.

I find this site - https://in-the-sky.org/ useful for info on coming events. It can be linked to your location and notes if you need naked eye, binoculars or a telescope to see things.

Stellarium - http://stellarium.org/ - which is free to download is also handy.

Dave

Graeme G 12 Oct 2020

What time?

In reply to Graeme G:

> What time?

For the War of the Worlds?

i think our malevolent extraterrestrial overlords start raining fire and death down on us about half past seven, just after the end of the One Show...

Graeme G 12 Oct 2020

> For the War of the Worlds?

> i think our malevolent extraterrestrial overlords start raining fire and death down on us about half past seven, just after the end of the One Show...

Thanks, hopefully I’ll see the view before the end arrives. 

Fat Bumbly2 12 Oct 2020

Does our Venusian overlord on the hoverboard (in No. 10) know?

wintertree 12 Oct 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

It must look pretty big to Starman, who just made his closest approach.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1313974379999494144/photo/1

deepsoup 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Tringa:

> I find this site - https://in-the-sky.org/ useful for info on coming events. It can be linked to your location and notes if you need naked eye, binoculars or a telescope to see things.

> Stellarium - http://stellarium.org/ - which is free to download is also handy.

If you have an Android phone, there's also an amazing free app called 'Daff Moon'.

In reply to deepsoup:

Probably devised by a Frasier fan.....

mick taylor 12 Oct 2020
In reply to Christheclimber:

Someone had to didn't they ;

In reply to mick taylor:

I was tempted to suggest to Chris that "A Mars would fit in Uranus easily" but decided that there was a slim chance Marianne Faithful or our Mick might be browsing UKC and decide to get a bit pedantic about things.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...