UKC

Melania's coat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Whitters 22 Jun 2018

Not normally one to discuss fashion news but what the hell was Mrs Trump thinking when she picked her coat yesterday morning??

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-44570...

Is it a (not so) subtle hint about how she feels about the treatment of migrants? A protest against her husband? Or a cry for help from a woman who is in a position she never wanted to be in?

In reply to Whitters:

> Not normally one to discuss fashion news but what the hell was Mrs Trump thinking when she picked her coat yesterday morning??

> Is it a (not so) subtle hint about how she feels about the treatment of migrants? A protest against her husband? Or a cry for help from a woman who is in a position she never wanted to be in?

I personally think its a unsubtle hint about how she feels about the treatment of migrants?

Nothing else seems to me to make any sense with the timing and choice .

On a different note.  Am I the only one that thinks Mrs T looks like a space Lizard ? 

In reply to Whitters:

She just needs a vespa with loads of rear view mirrors to complete the look

Hat Dude 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> She just needs a vespa with loads of rear view mirrors to complete the look

Can we get a complementary classic mod parka with the roundel for her husband

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/91057223697367369/

krikoman 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> She just needs a vespa with loads of rear view mirrors to complete the look

Or some swastikas, depending on why you think she wore it.

Tyler 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> I personally think its a unsubtle hint about how she feels about the treatment of migrants?

> Nothing else seems to me to make any sense with the timing and choice .

Agree.

Post edited at 11:55
OP Whitters 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Hat Dude:

Surely a confederate flag would be more appropriate...

OP Whitters 22 Jun 2018

> On a different note.  Am I the only one that thinks Mrs T looks like a space Lizard ? 

Maybe that explains the announcement of the "Space Force" in the last couple of weeks. 

subtle 22 Jun 2018

> On a different note.  Am I the only one that thinks Mrs T looks like a space Lizard ? 

That's just the American fascination with plastic surgery though, pulling the skin tight and not allowing for any wrinkles. 

spartacus 22 Jun 2018
In reply to subtle:

One more facelift and she will have a hairy chest. 

I’ll get my coat......

subtle 22 Jun 2018
In reply to spartacus:

> One more facelift and she will have a hairy chest. 

> I’ll get my coat......

Americans also go for "The Hollywood" as opposed to "The Brazilian" so may not be that bad

Post edited at 12:17
 Hat Dude 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Whitters:

I was thinking more of the target likeness

In reply to Whitters:

> Maybe that explains the announcement of the "Space Force" in the last couple of weeks. 

Aside from being questionably legal (thinking about treaties here etc ) .  If Trump has any hand in its actual creation it's likely to be a "Space Farce" With big beautiful space ships and beautiful astronauts . 

Come to think of it we need the announcement of an new "Space Border Force" and a new "Space Wall"  high enough to stop the Alien invaders .     There should be no problem in dehumanising entities that have never been human . 

You hear it here first people. 

OP Whitters 22 Jun 2018

Do you think trump will try to get ET to pay for said wall?

In reply to Whitters:

> Do you think trump will try to get ET to pay for said wall?

Most definitely.

Also the aliens are rapists and murderers and members of MS13 etc etc..

krikoman 22 Jun 2018
In reply to subtle:

> That's just the American fascination with plastic surgery though, pulling the skin tight and not allowing for any wrinkles. 

wrinkles, my arse!

wintertree 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Whitters:

Regardless of her intent it’s an awful act for her position.  I am agog.

jkarran 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Whitters:

Is much known of her personality, her politics or how much influence Trump and his people have over her as a mouthpiece? I presume she's fairly bright but still, she's living in a world that must be hard to understand with plenty of pit-falls.

That said, I'd be inclined in the first instance to attribute this to stupidity/oversight rather than malice mainly because I can't see what anyone possibly hoped to gain by it. Trump's tweeted excuses smack more of desperation than reason (no change there then) plus his voter base seems solidly loyal whatever happens, he could wipe his arse on the flag and they'd make excuses for him (but perhaps not Melania?). She stands to gain nothing by this and he surely doesn't need to keep up such a constant stream of provocations to keep the MAGA!! crowd on side. Pretty much everyone else seems rightly appalled by what's been happening, the Trumps and the WH staff must know they need to stop digging and let things calm down especially since the recent blundering has accidentally pushed the Democrats onto some pretty unpopular ground in the run up to elections.

Perhaps viewed from a particular perspective inside America such crass madness makes more sense.

jk

Post edited at 14:24
Roadrunner6 22 Jun 2018
In reply to wintertree:

It just makes no sense

If it is a dig at the media its even worse.

Theres time to be the bigger person.. when visiting an immigration center thats certainly the time. Had Michelle Obama done something similar she'd have been crucified in the right wing press.

Trump's up to quite a lot in the back ground, cutting medicare etc and so all thi news, space force etc, is just a distraction.. he's good at it. He controls news cycles like no other person in history.

DerwentDiluted 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Whitters:

Anyone checked google translate?

Turns out that "I really dont care do u" means "tiny hands tiny cock" in Slovenian.

Jim 1003 22 Jun 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> Or some swastikas, depending on why you think she wore it.

Going from some of your posts you should have the swasticas....

Jim 1003 22 Jun 2018

> Aside from being questionably legal (thinking about treaties here etc ) .  If Trump has any hand in its actual creation it's likely to be a "Space Farce" With big beautiful space ships and beautiful astronauts . 

> Come to think of it we need the announcement of an new "Space Border Force" and a new "Space Wall"  high enough to stop the Alien invaders .     There should be no problem in dehumanising entities that have never been human . 

> You hear it here first people. 

Have you forgotten there's a large wall in this country, separating parts of an Irish city where they would kill each other if it was removed?

subtle 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

> Have you forgotten there's a large wall in this country, separating parts of an Irish city where they would kill each other if it was removed?

That lad, whasisname, oh that's it, Hadrian - now he could build a wall.

krikoman 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

> Going from some of your posts you should have the swasticas....

Well informed as always, I see.

If you'd care to point out what you take offence to, that might help.

Post edited at 15:03
 The Lemming 22 Jun 2018
In reply to subtle:

> That lad, whasisname, oh that's it, Hadrian - now he could build a wall.

No, not that wall.

Try again.

subtle 22 Jun 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> No, not that wall.

> Try again.

Antoninus Pius? His wall wasn't as good.

Tyler 22 Jun 2018
In reply to jkarran:

> That said, I'd be inclined in the first instance to attribute this to stupidity/oversight rather than malice mainly because I can't see what anyone possibly hoped to gain by it

It's pretty mind bending but then you try and work out how a $39 jacket from 2016 comes into her possession. This is someone who has only ever worn clothes costing thousands of dollars, who is never seen in things with brash slogans or emblems. Women like her don't just throw on clothes for the day on a whim, she is from the fashion world, she cares about her appearance and after 18 months as First Lady she will know full well that everything she wears will be picked up on (q.v. High heels to visit a storm area). Even if she did happen to put it on by accident (presumably she picked it up when she was in Zara just before the election but had decided not to wear it before) she has personal assistants who would be aware of the optics and who would advise her. If it still got through there are a myriad of press advisors stage managing this event to the nth degree, people who aren't stupid, and they would be aware of what she proposed to wear. It doesn't explain why she did it but to suggest it was not intended to send some sort of message is naive in the extreme.  

The Lemming 22 Jun 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Antoninus Pius? His wall wasn't as good.

Not even in the correct decade let alone millennium.
Try again.

Hat Dude 22 Jun 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

> No, not that wall.

> Try again.

Roger Waters?

subtle 22 Jun 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Those boys from the German Democratic Republic could also build a wall - not that it lasted long mind you

subtle 22 Jun 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Depends on where you live.

Is Hadrians Wall not closer to Blackpool than Belfast? Must be tight, as the crow flies.

marsbar 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Whitters:

Or is it to distract the media from cuts to food stamps for veterans?  

https://mobile.twitter.com/votevets/status/1009911343946784768

It seems to have worked if it is.  

Tyler 22 Jun 2018
In reply to marsbar:

And further Medicaid cuts

deepsoup 22 Jun 2018
In reply to marsbar:

Speaking of veterans - here's a campaign video from a woman running for Congress in Texas.  Impressive.  I hope she wins it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6v4CYNSIQ&

OP Whitters 22 Jun 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

I'd vote for her... 

BnB 22 Jun 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

> Speaking of veterans - here's a campaign video from a woman running for Congress in Texas.  Impressive.  I hope she wins it.

That is a superb campaign piece. And yes, she's got my vote.

mack 22 Jun 2018

> Come to think of it we need the announcement of an new "Space Border Force" and a new "Space Wall"  high enough to stop the Alien invaders .     

Ahh...... Illegal Aliens.

jkarran 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

> Have you forgotten there's a large wall in this country, separating parts of an Irish city where they would kill each other if it was removed?

What are you on about, Belfast? I guess you maybe haven't been back in the last couple of decades.

jk

Post edited at 18:43
 jkarran 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Tyler:

> It doesn't explain why she did it but to suggest it was not intended to send some sort of message is naive in the extreme.  

As I said, I'm sure she's not daft but it's a leap from there to malice which is part of why I was musing over how much influence she and others have in these matters and how personality plays into it, all the good advice in the world is useless if you won't listen and you just do what you want or what Donald and whoever his current back-room nazi is says. Not everyone advising her has her interests in mind. Again though... who stands to gain what from this? From the outside it looks like pure lunacy. Perhaps this is just the distraction for something else.

jk

marsbar 22 Jun 2018
In reply to jkarran:

I’m afraid it seems highly unlikely to have been an accident.  The jacket in question was only $39 and hasn’t been on sale since 2016.  Not exactly something you’d expect her to own or wear.  

(Quote)Pierre shops for many of Mrs. Trump's outfits anonymously in New York.

"I go to Bergdorf, I go to Saks, Michael Kors, Dior,"(/Quote)

I really don’t think she accidentally wore something from Zara.  

Post edited at 19:19
 Siward 22 Jun 2018
In reply to marsbar:

Don't worry all, Trump explains it in his tweet :

"REALLY DON’T CARE, DO U?” written on the back of Melania’s jacket, refers to the Fake News Media. Melania has learned how dishonest they are, and she truly no longer cares!"

Fake noos people... 

Jim 1003 22 Jun 2018
In reply to jkarran:

> What are you on about, Belfast? I guess you maybe haven't been back in the last couple of decades.

> jk

You've obviously never been...not a lot has changed...

The first peace lines were built in 1969, following the outbreak of the 1969 Northern Ireland riots and "the Troubles". They were built as temporary structures meant to last only six months, but due to their effective nature they have become wider, longer and more permanent. Originally few in number, they have multiplied over the years, from 18 in the early 1990s to at least 59 as of late 2017[2]; in total they stretch over 21 miles (34 km), with most located in Belfast. They have been increased in both height and number since the Good Friday Agreement of 1998.[3]

In recent years, they have even become locations for tourism. Black taxis now take groups of tourists around Belfast's peace lines, trouble spots and famous murals.

The most prominent peace lines in the past few years separate the nationalist Falls Road and unionist Shankill Road areas of West Belfast; the nationalist Short Strand from the unionist Cluan Place areas of East Belfast, the unionist Corcrain road and the nationalist Orbins drive in Portadown and the unionist Fountain estate and nationalist Bishop Street area of Derry.

In 2008, a public discussion began about how and when the peace lines could be removed.[4] While, on 1 September 2011, Belfast City Council agreed to develop a strategy regarding the removal of peace walls,[5][6] a study was released in 2012 indicating that 69% of residents believe that the peace walls are still necessary because of potential violence.[7] At the end of 2011, several local community initiatives resulted in the opening of a number of interface structures for a trial period.[8]

In January 2012, the International Fund for Ireland launched a Peace Walls funding programme to support local communities who want to work towards beginning to remove the peace walls.[9] In May 2013, the Northern Ireland Executivecommitted to the removal of all peace lines by mutual consent by 2023.[10]

In September 2017, the Northern Ireland Department of Justice published its Interface Programme, established to deliver the commitment made by the Northern Ireland Executive to remove all Interface structures by 2023 under the Together: Building a United Community Strategy.[11][12]

Tyler 22 Jun 2018
In reply to jkarran:

> Not everyone advising her has her interests in mind. Again though... who stands to gain what from this? From the outside it looks like pure lunacy. Perhaps this is just the distraction for something else.

It's impossible to believe anyone could be so brazenly callous but there are lots of things this administration has done which would have been considered inconceivable 2 years ago. You seem to be accepting of the idea that this was no accident so what's your theory on what the message was and who it was intended for? Given the recent history of thos pair, malice is the most likely IMO

jkarran 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

I've been several times in the last few years visiting family and friends. NI clearly still has a long road to travel but it's not the piecemeal gap filled fences keeping the paramilitaries from rearming and the war restarting.

Jk

jkarran 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Tyler:

I can only assume it's a distraction and I'd guess she's been played, she must have one eye one a life after Trump, I can't believe unless she really is daft she's chosen to embroil herself in his shitstorm at its height. Then again, perhaps she lives in a bubble from which this somehow seemed clever or worthwhile. It makes no sense from here.

Jk

birdie num num 22 Jun 2018
In reply to Whitters:

Despite the position she finds herself in, Melania is an ordinary human being. 

The media circus will portray her as something other than she really is. And she cannot win.

I can imagine that she's probably past caring about supposition and bullshit. Good on her.

Jim 1003 23 Jun 2018
In reply to jkarran:

> I've been several times in the last few years visiting family and friends. NI clearly still has a long road to travel but it's not the piecemeal gap filled fences keeping the paramilitaries from rearming and the war restarting.

> Jk

Your talking through your arse as usual...the residents themselves don't want the fence down due to fear of extreme violence...

In 2008, a public discussion began about how and when the peace lines could be removed.[4] While, on 1 September 2011, Belfast City Council agreed to develop a strategy regarding the removal of peace walls,[5][6] a study was released in 2012 indicating that 69% of residents believe that the peace walls are still necessary because of potential violence.[7]

Post edited at 00:13
 jkarran 23 Jun 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

I didn't claim the locals want them removed you prat. My point is they're far from being impenetrable barriers, they're a local patch on local problems.

Jk

SenzuBean 23 Jun 2018
In reply to jkarran:

> I can only assume it's a distraction and I'd guess she's been played, she must have one eye one a life after Trump, I can't believe unless she really is daft she's chosen to embroil herself in his shitstorm at its height. Then again, perhaps she lives in a bubble from which this somehow seemed clever or worthwhile.

I'm also very sure she knew exactly what she was doing. This was not an unsubtle point, but a gigantic middle finger. Some of the strongest opposers of refugees are former legal migrants, such as herself. What she has done is not totally daft, as by saying nothing, she can claim full denial - that is the Trump modus operandi - be able to later deny what you previously said or did.

summo 23 Jun 2018
In reply to jkarran:

>  Then again, perhaps she lives in a bubble from which this somehow seemed clever or worthwhile. It makes no sense from here.

I think a fair proportion of US citizens live in a bubble, his ratings have not plummeted. He gets rid of staff who don't live in his bubble. The guy could do a 2nd term. Scary.

Post edited at 06:37
 Jim 1003 23 Jun 2018
In reply to jkarran:

> I didn't claim the locals want them removed you prat. My point is they're far from being impenetrable barriers, they're a local patch on local problems.

> Jk

A peace wall is a local patch on local problems, ha ha....a good definition of violent sectarianism.

Post edited at 07:49
 Duncan Bourne 23 Jun 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Antoninus Pius? His wall wasn't as good.

Pink Floyd's was better

MonkeyPuzzle 23 Jun 2018
In reply to jkarran:

> I can only assume it's a distraction and I'd guess she's been played...

Is the only plausible explanation I can come up with. I think the jacket is made from a whole table-full of dead cats.

Root1 23 Jun 2018
In reply to subtle:

> That lad, whasisname, oh that's it, Hadrian - now he could build a wall.

Now lets quell this myth once and for all. Hadrian had bugger all to do with it. It was a young Geordie lad called Adrian that got bored one day and decided to build it for something to do.

Over time Adrians wall was bastardised to Hadrians wall.

Larn ye istory proper!

Post edited at 11:57
 profitofdoom 23 Jun 2018
In reply to spartacus:

> One more facelift and she will have a hairy chest. > I’ll get my coat......

That is an old wicked Joan Rivers joke from decades ago - "One more facelift and she'll have hair on her chin"

PS do not blame me, blame Joan Rivers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...