UKC

Meta and NHS data breaches.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 28 May 2023

I remember several past concerns about potential for data breaches being dismissed as unreasonable. Now there is evidence of breaches of particularly sensitive NHS data to Meta.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/may/27/nhs-data-breach-trusts-shar...

minimike 28 May 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

This seems utterly moronic and unnecessary to me. Why would an NHS organisation need to track ad click throughs in the first place? Sounds like it was just included in whatever platform the site was built on, which would be a shocking lack of IG and data security due diligence.. if it was put there intentionally, we’ll, even more so.

hang_about 28 May 2023
In reply to minimike:

Sounds  like the former - there's a package of business tools and this was implemented by default. Very poor for something so sensitive. I see there being repercussions. Meta has filters - I wonder if they work - almost analogous to 'handling stolen material'

In reply to hang_about:

> Sounds  like the former - there's a package of business tools and this was implemented by default. 

Then it's certainly a failure of duty of care; developers of 'secure systems' handling confidential information should be checking that their system is not bypassing that security, and leaking information.

it's bloody disgraceful; they need to be prosecuted.

minimike 28 May 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

When you see individual healthcare staff get hung drawn and quartered over any accidental data breach (which ok, shouldn’t happen, but mistakes..) it’s outrageous that a system was designed so irresponsibly. There’s general data protection legislation but also a mountain of digital health regulation and guidance specifically to prevent this kind of thing. DPIA for a start.. I’m shocked but hardly surprised though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...