UKC

Microsoft Edge vs Google Chrome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 10 Mar 2018

My new computer comes with Windows 10 and the default browser is Microsoft Edge. It's like the National Enquirer of browsers with utter shite news stories constantly flashing before your eyes.

So I want to switch to Google chrome but my computer (read microsoft) doesn't want me to switch It keeps telling me how much better edge is over chrome.

Any opinions?

skog 10 Mar 2018
In reply to Removed User:

I think Chrome's much better than Edge. In fact, I think Internet Explorer 11 is substantially better than Edge (except possibly on a tablet).

But it isn't really about what we think, and it isn't as if you can't try one then change your mind, or mix and match as you please. Why not give both a go?

two_tapirs 10 Mar 2018

Ignore what Edge says,  install Chrome, Firefox or Opera, just anything but Edge.  Edge feels way too Fisher Price, and if you want to start customising Edge in anyway, it can be a real faff, even if you're technically minded.  

If you decide to stay with Edge, you can at least change the homepage so that it's not throwing all manner of clickbait stories and drivel at you each time you open it.

john arran 10 Mar 2018

I reinstalled recently and Edge became the default, but there only was a couple of irritating prompts to say no to in choosing Chrome instead. Worth persisting - it isn't too hard.

Dark-Cloud 10 Mar 2018

Edge is bloody awful, Chrome all the way, no brainier for me.

felt 10 Mar 2018

Microsoft's revenge on Apple over U2

Removed User 11 Mar 2018

Thanks everyone. I've installed Chrome and I'm a happy bunny atm.

Worth noting that the Chrome Remote Desktop app is also superb. I’m working from home a far bit now, and remotely run servers in my office from a small laptop.

Removed User 11 Mar 2018

I don't really think there's much between them, all said and done and I quite like Edge nut disciplined enough to ignore the brain rotting "news" clickbait it offers you.

Have a look at Vivaldi, it's my favourite.

SDM 11 Mar 2018

Brave >>> Firefox/Chrome > Edge

Brave is quicker than chrome, is less of a resource hog and it blocks the vast majority of ads and other undesirables without having to resort to extensions (none of which are any good any more).

It gives you the option to contribute to sites (or users on platforms such as vimeo and YouTube) to make up for their lost revenue. As with most blockers, you can also whitelist ads on certain sites where you want to see the ads (such as UKC). 

@ukc: I'm trying to post something that will probably help your revenue. Not the smartest way to censor your users... 

Jim Fraser 14 Mar 2018

I have one Win10 machine and it is a pain. Quick when it is doing what it's told but that is not all the time. I elbowed past Edge at the first opportunity and installed Opera which, in spite of its relation to Chrome, like Firefox can be a tool for getting something done instead of a platform for somebody else's agenda.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...