UKC

Mid Morning Matters finale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I've been scratching various parts of my body trying to work out which famous painting this is a parody of. One of you people must know the answer!

https://tinyurl.com/yd77rw46

Dave Garnett 14 May 2020
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Any number of paintings of St Francis receiving his stigmata - el Greco, Caravaggio...

https://www.google.com/search?q=paintings+St+Francis+stigmata&tbm=isch&...

In reply to Dave Garnett:

Hi Dave, thanks, but the image Coogan uses (in the link) is a parody of a specific painting and I can't find it despite my attempts.

Lemony 14 May 2020

Given his head position it seems likely to be being taken down from the cross/entombed rather than showing his wounds I guess?

Something like: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/437156

edit: but it looks annoyingly familiar...

Post edited at 13:24
 abr1966 14 May 2020

Well you've successfully limited my productivity this afternoon! I know this painting you are referring to....but can I recall it just now.....no!!!!! This will drive me mad untill there is an outcome! I will be on to it amidst conference calls etc...!!

dread-i 14 May 2020
 Rob Exile Ward 14 May 2020
In reply to dread-i:

I think it is a picture of Jesus showing his hands to one of his disciples to prove that he has risen from the dead. I'll have a quick look myself...

In reply to abr1966:

Sorry about that old bean.

In answer to everyone in the picture it is copying, the poses of the subjects are identical. This is a literal copy of the painting. Driving me slightly mad too. Internet forums on the subject are unsatisfactory...

abr1966 14 May 2020
In reply to dread-i:

That was my immediate thought but its not the right one.....!!

abr1966 14 May 2020

I know the painting....that's why its so frustrating!!

I immediately thought something renaissance but a niggling doubt is that its something pre-raphaelite as reworking of something by one of the old masters...?!

abr1966 14 May 2020

Thought I just had it with The Transfiguration by Raphael.....close but not the one! This will come to me when I have a drink.....an hour and a bit till I knock off work and I'm feeling positive....

Head angle is the same as a number of pictures of St Sebastian. But the stigmata would be replaced by arrows in those pictures...

nniff 14 May 2020

It's driving me up the wall - I hereby give up!.. I'm sure I've seen it.  Trouble is, there's only so much Roman Catholic misery I can take at a sitting before i feel the overwhelming need for cold beer and pizza!

Post edited at 18:02
andrew breckill 17 May 2020
In reply to nniff:

similar to st Francis receives the stigmata, but not exactly the same.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...