UKC

Midge conditions in the Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 01 Jun 2023

Hi all, not sure if this is the best forum for this, but does anyone know if the wee beasties are out and biting yet? In particular for the Cairngorms, thinking of camping out somewhere near Linn of Dee/Derry Lodge area. I'm hoping that with it still being quite early and exceptionally dry there will be few if any around.

DaveHK 01 Jun 2023
In reply to MikeR:

They're out.

OP MikeR 01 Jun 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Oh well, so much for my nice sounding theory.

Out in large numbers or just a few?

Thanks for the info by the way.

Post edited at 09:43
 DaveHK 01 Jun 2023
In reply to MikeR:

Enough to ruin your day.

OP MikeR 01 Jun 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Bugger! I think we'll give the camping a miss then.

Thanks for the heads up.

jonny taylor 01 Jun 2023
In reply to MikeR:

Two weeks ago we were completely midge-free when camping in that area (on a largely windless weekend), but it sounds from the other replies like that window may have closed now. Just mentioning this to suggest that it might not have reached peak midge levels yet, even if they are out.

fred99 01 Jun 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> They're out.

Now why would anyone "like" that ?

Garethza 01 Jun 2023
In reply to MikeR:

If there's wind you'll be fine. If not.. well  

CurlyStevo 01 Jun 2023
In reply to MikeR:

I think the dry spell may need to go on for a bit longer before it starts effecting midge numbers which it could well do yet. I was in Snowdonia last weekend and the ground hadn't dried up all that much yet and its been pretty dry there too. I also got midged quite badly in the evening at idwal slabs. The medium range forecast is looking very dry still.

Post edited at 14:00
 Lankyman 01 Jun 2023
In reply to MikeR:

Here in the Dales there has been a constant cold east wind and virtually no midges. My ex has been on Skye the last few days and says it was pretty midge free. If it's similar in eastern Scotland you'd be OK. But ( big but), if the breeze drops you need to have a plan B. I've camped high in the Cairngorms in July and August and it was OK, in the glens and it was purgatory.

Robert Durran 01 Jun 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> Enough to ruin your day.

The trick is to not let them ruin it.

In reply to Lankyman:

>  My ex has been on Skye the last few days and says it was pretty midge free. 

Only because it's been windy. I was on Skye 2 weeks ago and they were biting like crazy. I'm back on Skye today and the breeze is keeping them away. At least on the East side. I've really enjoyed being able to sit outside for the past few evenings. It's been windy on the islands and pretty calm on the mainland recently. 

DaveHK 01 Jun 2023
In reply to twentytwoangrymen:

> Only because it's been windy. 

Every summer there are loads of threads asking how bad the midges are and the answer is always the same; it depends how windy it is. 

Yes, there are other factors that can influence absolute numbers but the reality is that between June and September there will be enough of them about to make your life a misery on any still day.

Post edited at 19:48
 Robert Durran 01 Jun 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> Between June and September there will be enough of them about to make your life a misery on any still day.

Havn't people heard of this amazing midge repellant stuff?

CantClimbTom 02 Jun 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

You sound very confident with that comment, which particular repellent do you recommend... (Smidge?)

Robert Durran 02 Jun 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Smidge from neck up and deet elsewhere (because I have a load of deet to use up and I find it maybe a bit more effective than smidge). 

I think the mistakes I see people making are to fail to put repellent on early enough in anticipation (before getting out of car or tent or as soon as the wind drops) - once bitten, you get a period of itching whatever. Also people simply not putting on enough repellent; it does work but total and ample coverage is needed to stop all biting. I even know people who refuse to put repellent on at all and then moan about getting bitten or complain that they are confined to a tent or car! I regularly find myself sitting surrounded by midges in the air and on me but not getting bitten and therefore ignorable while others are going frantic with them.

I don't use a headnet, but that is just personal preference. I prefer midges crawling on me but not biting to the feel and inconvenience of a net.

Obviously I'd prefer midges not to be there, but it is almost always possible to avoid the bites and itching without being driven in to a tent. It's a matter of being determined not to let the midges win!

Also, use a flyspray before getting in to tent or car for the night.

Post edited at 09:19
 joem 02 Jun 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

They don’t seem to like direct sunlight either so on a really nice day somewhere south facing you should be fine. 

Lankyman 02 Jun 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

How do you stop them crawling through your hair and biting your scalp? Before getting a net many years ago I used to spray Jungle Formula all over my head and the feeling was almost as bad as being bitten. If it was hot as well then the sweaty, greasy combination was horrible. I'm so demoralised after decades of dealing with them that I can't stand the thought of camping in Scotland in midge time. See you all again in September/October?

Robert Durran 02 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> How do you stop them crawling through your hair and biting your scalp?

By not having hair. 

> I'm so demoralised after decades of dealing with them that I can't stand the thought of camping in Scotland in midge time. See you all again in September/October?

One advantage of the annual midge hysteria is that it does probably reduce the number of people camping, walking and climbing in Scotland in summer. I'm all for as many as possible enjoying the Scottish midge's southern cousins south of the border instead.

d_b 05 Jun 2023
In reply to fred99:

> Now why would anyone "like" that ?

The midges outnumber us.  If they get internet connections and ukc accounts they can outvote us.

This may explain some things.

gravy 05 Jun 2023
In reply to d_b:

But do they pose as much as a threat as AI?

d_b 05 Jun 2023
In reply to gravy:

AI stands for "Aggressive Insects"?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...