UKC

Minibuses and tachometers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toerag 17 Apr 2018

Does anyone know the rules on mainland europe for driving large (15 seater) minibuses? I'm looking to take my Scouts to Switzerland, but one of the potential lenders of a bus claim theirs can't be used as they don't have tachometers fitted.  Any ideas?

johncook 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Toerag:

I think you mean tachograph, which records speeds, engine revs, driving times, etc etc.

They should have to be fitted to all passenger carrying minibuses in my opinion, as you can get anyone to drive a 13 seater with no experience and the lives of the passenger in their hands. Tachographs help to prevent speeding, driving while tired and the recording/disc will stand up in court!

OP Toerag 17 Apr 2018
In reply to cezza:

That was very useful, and the associated document 

http://www.ctauk.org/UserFiles/DocumentsSecure/Registered_Users_Area/Legal/...

is even more useful! Thanks for your help!

In reply to Toerag:

If its not for hire or reward you dont need a tacho or cpc

marsbar 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Toerag:

Some info here.  https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/university_clubs-_driving_a_min...

You may well be better with a couple of 9 seaters, eg Renault trafic or similar.  

Fruitbat 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Northernladlovesgravy:

> If its not for hire or reward you dont need a tacho or cpc

Regardless of this, I would say be careful if you are driving into Switzerland: I was driving a minibus from Chamonix to Geneva airport and was questioned at the border about the 'white' of the bus (it was the weight, of course, that they were asking about but it threw me as the bus was painted white). I had no idea of the weight so was told, in no uncertain terms "You will turn around and go back in to France" and got directed into a high-kerbed one-way U-shaped lane that pointed me back to Chamonix and wondering how we we going to get everyone from the airport (Sorry, Summo). 

Although I wasn't asked about a tachograph, the conversation may well have moved on to that if I'd made progress with the 'white'. Make sure you are covered with everything, is my advice. You are probably better going with people-carriers or similar, as marsbar has suggested, they are more discreet as well as nicer to drive, bit easier to park etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...