UKC

Missing great things the first time around...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Back in the day I was into Nirvana and Alice in Chains, but completely missed Soundgarden. Really into Metallica and Slayer, but missed Megadeth and Anthrax. Good job too say many of you...

i caught up on all this other great stuff much later. So now we’re binge watching Black Mirror which incredibly good, but got missed the first time around.

does anyone else repeatedly miss the zeitgeist bus?

paul

Sl@te Head 10 Apr 2019
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

NiN but made up for it seen them a few times now, Trent Reznor is a real talent...

Martin W 10 Apr 2019

> does anyone else repeatedly miss the zeitgeist bus?

I don't miss it so much as choose not to take it - most usually because I am on a different bus.

For example, Fleabag has entirely passed me by, and despite having seen it being lauded as "the most electrifying, devastating TV in years" and having a "beautiful, perfect ending" I feel no desire to address that omission.  Partly because I find Phoebe Waller-Bridge's arch glances to camera (seen only in trailers) extremely off-putting, as well as a little too reminiscent of the endlessly unfunny (IMO) Miranda Hart, but also because it's only TV for heaven's sake.

Flinticus 10 Apr 2019

Yeah, too big ones in my opinion.

The Pixies when they played in Dublin for the first time (late 80s I think). A lot of my friends went but I was too punk to go / considered them newcomers to the scene (how wanky you can be when young!)

Saw them years later in Brixton Academy.

Happy Mondays, again in Dublin late 80s / very early 90s maybe. I just wasn't too clued up on their sound and was by now getting into more rave / trance.

PaulJepson 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Martin W:

It's really good, you should give it a go. The 4th wall isn't broken loads and you get used to it. 

deepsoup 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Martin W:

There's a coincidence, I was going to mention Fleabag too.  I missed the first series completely three(?) years ago, a friend mentioned a wee while ago how much she was enjoying the second series and just recently I had a bit of time to kill and finally got around to watching the start.  A couple of days later I'd binged my way through all 11 episodes and had to wait a day or two more for the last one.

The first series is fantastic, the second is even better and the final episode is one of the best half-hours of that kind of telly programme ever made I reckon.  All killer, no filler.  Brilliantly observed, beautifully acted by the entire cast, very funny and unbearably sad (often at the same time).  Bawled my eyes out.  Lovely.

I liked the 'breaking the fourth wall' thing very much, haven't seen it done this well since Ian Richardson in the UK version of House of Cards.  (Never having watched 'Miranda', I didn't realise she did too.)

Not you Martin, obviously, but for anyone who does fancy giving it a go, I'd highly recommend it.  Both series are available on iPlayer for the next couple of months or so.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p070npjv

Stichtplate 10 Apr 2019

Through a combination of being a little bit dense and a little bit drunk, I missed out on a threesome with two very nice and very attractive young women. This was about 1990ish. I'm still gutted.

Timmd 10 Apr 2019

Yes, I'm often about 20 years behind when it comes to music, but I figure that it probably doesn't go anywhere, so I'm fairly chilled. 

When I was very small my oldest brother was into his heavy metal and 'noisy stuff', playing Motorhead, The Dayglow Abortions, Anthrax, Metallica, Napalm Death, Megadeath, and Flotsam and Jetsam and similar, so in my teens I got really into reggae, I sometimes wonder if I was seeking the polar opposite as a result of what he played.  

Just in the past few years I've been getting into early Metallica, Motorhead, and The Damned, The Dayglow Abortions, and exploring youtube for cool noisy stuff.

Post edited at 17:18
 Timmd 10 Apr 2019

That would be stuff which is 'cool to me', of course, I'm not that far up my own behind.  

McHeath 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

Same here. I wasn't even drunk, just dense. Ca. 1978.

Hope you did better the second time around!

Lusk 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Through a combination of being a little bit dense and a little bit drunk, I missed out on a threesome with two very nice and very attractive young women. This was about 1990ish. I'm still gutted.

No you didn't, you just can't remember! 😀

Not going to see Zappa in London when I was living down there, unforgivable!

felt 11 Apr 2019

1966 to 1969, possibly 1971. Then again, glad I was around for 1979 and 1981. 

Deviant 11 Apr 2019

This ought to be in the Un-Culture Bunker !

I don't know many of the bands mentioned, no idea if I'm missing out or not but Metal, House, Punk, just to name a few are not my cup of tea !

In reply to Deviant:

They do say ‘one man’s tea is another man’s metal’

In reply to Lusk:

> No you didn't, you just can't remember! 😀

> Not going to see Zappa in London when I was living down there, unforgivable!

Got to see Zappa a few times, but stupidly didn’t go to see Captain Beefheart on quite a few occasions. And Pantera ;-(

Ceiriog Chris 11 Apr 2019

I think luck plays a part, I'm 55 and only discovered Fairport Convention / Sandy Denny etc about 8 years ago by chance, I'd obviously heard of them but just not come across anything myself. Also probably my  most played album was a chance haring when a copy was  lent to my brother by one of his mates, otherwise I'm sure I would never otherwise have stumbled on Argos by Wishbone Ash (very sad I know)

peppermill 11 Apr 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

And that brings back long forgotten memories of that 'friend' in my late teens that repeatedly asked for my opinion on bikinis and underwear and modelled them for me. God I was dense back then......

Andy Long 11 Apr 2019

The big TV series - "Boardwalk Empire", "Breaking Bad" & "Game of Thrones". Largely because they're on Sky, which is Murdoch, which I won't have in the house. I've got them all as box sets so I suppose I'm still giving something to the evil one, but it's a lot less and I'm not supporting the rest of his shite.

wercat 11 Apr 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

it's not very fashionable to like old classic crime drama but the Great Diana Rigg did very nice dry asides in The Mrs Bradley Mysteries.  Agree about the original House of Cards, beautifully done and not surpassed by later copies

In reply to Martin W:

> I don't miss it so much as choose not to take it - most usually because I am on a different bus.

> For example, Fleabag has entirely passed me by, and despite having seen it being lauded as "the most electrifying, devastating TV in years" and having a "beautiful, perfect ending" I feel no desire to address that omission.  Partly because I find Phoebe Waller-Bridge's arch glances to camera (seen only in trailers) extremely off-putting, as well as a little too reminiscent of the endlessly unfunny (IMO) Miranda Hart, but also because it's only TV for heaven's sake.

So if you watch it in 10 years time and say to your self 'what a fool I was' you can come back to this thread and contribute your findings.

Personally, I don't think Fleabag represents the 'zeitgeist' but I've actually watched it (not season 2 as yet).

Ava Adore 12 Apr 2019

Queen performing at Live Aid

Clarence 12 Apr 2019

I missed Breaking Bad as well. At the time of the first two seasons a friend was going through the last eighteen months of her life with cancer and the idea of Breaking Bad didn't appeal to me. Now I have had so many people tell me about their favorite bits I don't think I could watch it and get the enjoyment they so obviously got from it. I might leave it another decade or so.

mbh 13 Apr 2019
In reply to Ava Adore:

> Queen performing at Live Aid

Yes, that. Though I did see the Rolling Stones there in 82, and the Who and AC/DC in 79. 

What I missed was U2 at the  Bristol Locarno (an ice rink) circa 81. My mate asked me to go, but I said I had homework to do. I would have seen something like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=PMyEjQJBaRY&

Darron 13 Apr 2019
In reply to mbh:

I saw Simon & Garfunkel at Wembley the week before the Stones were on. One thing that sticks in the memory is that the Stones gig was touted as their ‘farewell tour’!!

> does anyone else repeatedly miss the zeitgeist bus?

Discovered System of a Down today - 25 years too late - feel quite gutted to be honest.

EarlyBird 13 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I saw Pixies (or The Pixies as I called them at the time) today in 1988. I hadn't heard them before, at all. I'd been out in Utrecht with my g/f, Natasja, and her rather scary junkie mate, Ron. Natasja and I got back to her house and her mum was listening to the radio - Bone Machine was playing. It grabbed me straight away and Natasja's mum, Christine, told us they were playing in Utrecht that night. So we went. Pixies were superb as were the support band, The Throwing Muses. Sometimes you get lucky.

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> Discovered System of a Down today - 25 years too late - feel quite gutted to be honest.

That happened to me with Korn but managed to catch up

Pete Pozman 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Through a combination of being a little bit dense and a little bit drunk, I missed out on a threesome with two very nice and very attractive young women. This was about 1990ish. I'm still gutted.

Awww... Poor you. 

No, I was always totally cool (Saw Nirvana 3 times but they weren't as good as Mudhoney).

In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Saw Nirvana once, but they weren’t as good as The Fall (lost count how many time I saw them)

lithos 15 Apr 2019
In reply to Martin W:

interesting, I cant stand Miranda hart (or Joe Brand) but thought Fleabag s1 - really good.

Also ... Derry Girls

In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> No, I was always totally cool (Saw Nirvana 3 times but they weren't as good as Mudhoney).

Absolutely, mind you, Mudhoney weren't as good as Sonic Youth. 

Never really got the Nirvana thing, 3rd rate Killing Joke tribute band. 

wercat 16 Apr 2019

Only just got to watch "I Daniel Blake".   As moving as "Cathy Come Home" when we saw it at school in the 70s.   What a society

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...