UKC

Mixing Airlines. Downsides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 21 Sep 2022

I am currently planning a trip, it has been a toss up between SE Asia and India, but I am favouring India.
I am looking at flights.

1. For £580 Man to LHR to Delhi return, £580 BA to LHR then Virgin to Delhi, then the reverse  on the way back. 
  2. For £640 Man to LHR to Delhi return, £580 BA all legs

Saving £60 seems good, but am I right in thinking that if it is BA or (any other airline) all the way less issues with transfers and flight delays, as they have a responsibility to get you there. Luggage is not an issue as travelling with only cabin bags.

neilh 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Is it a flight share or are you booking seperately.

Neil Williams 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Is it on a through ticket* with interlining, or is it two tickets?  That's crucially important in terms of your entitlements if the connection misses.

* I know there's no physical ticket any more, but an IATA ticket does exist in a database somewhere.

Jenny C 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

We flew to Canada with a connecting internal flight and due to the ash cloud from Iceland took a significantly longer route adding a couple of hours to the flight time.

​​​​​​Air Canada notified us that those on connecting flights with themselves were being transferred automatically (one destination was in a hotel overnight, the rest on flights later the same day). They then asked anyone with connecting flights on other airlines to notify the cabin crew so that they could make arrangements for onward travel.

So it was a smoother process to have the same airline, also less stressful as they told us it was sorted, rather than get in touch so we can try to sort it. But they did take responsibility whilst still in the air for trying to help all passengers.

I've also switched airlines when flying in Europe with no issues at all, other than having to be aware that they had different rules on luggage allowances. Oh plus we had to collect our bags and recheck them in when we changed airline, but as you're hand luggage only that's obviously not a concern.

​​​​​​

​​​​

nniff 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

As far as I am aware, once it gets onto the conveyor the scanning thingies take over and the baggage handling system routes your bag to where it needs to be.  Then the airline's contracted labour places it in a container or loads it loose as appropriate.  It shouldn't make a difference if you're changing airlines, unless the first flight is delayed, in which case there is scope for finger pointing. Chances are that you'd have a code share on many long flights, so you could end up flying with someone you didn't expect anyway

neilh 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

As the changeover is at Heathrow I would suggest the issue with it all going pear shaped is low.

Just remember...no laptops in cabin bags! Especially the MAN to LHR section.

Greenbanks 21 Sep 2022
In reply to neilh:

Recent inward/outward from LHR suggests otherwise. I'd urge the OP to book with a single carrier (and if not, at least a through-ticket code-share). Problems with lost luggage at LHR are not mythical...

In reply to neilh:

> Just remember...no laptops in cabin bags! Especially the MAN to LHR section.

This is news to me. I've only heard of restrictions from some ME countries. Laptops always had to be taken out of cabin bags to go through security, but I thought even that was being relaxed at some airports with the latest detection gear.

Greenbanks 21 Sep 2022
In reply to John Stainforth:

Same as liquids...Amsterdam has been doing this for years.

In reply to neilh:

Wha?  If carrying a laptop you MUST put it in your cabin bag.  If you put it in the hold it'll get nicked.

It has to be put in its own tray at security, that's all.

Jon Read 21 Sep 2022

To the OP:

The questions above about booking as two tickets or one ticket are the most important thing here.

If on two separate tickets, the second airline is under absolutely no obligation to put you on a later flight if your 1st airline connecting flight is delayed. And if this is on your outward, your no-show may cause your return on that second airline to be cancelled. Sensible people build in long transfers to mitigate against this happening, but it's still a pretty high consequence risk. 

In reply to neilh:

WHAT?? Of course you can take a laptop in the cabin bag! Failure to extract it from said cabin bag at security screening may generate a delay, but they won't take it off you.

neilh 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Jon Read:

Every flight I have been on out of Manchester as a connection 6 in the last 7 weeks...its a no go..into luggage.France, Ireland and USA.

Did surprise me.

Post edited at 16:43
 neilh 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Greenbanks:

Agreed.

Doug 21 Sep 2022
In reply to neilh:

Sounds new, what happens if you only have hand baggage ?

neilh 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Doug:

Not thought about it, never only had hand luggge. I just assumed it was some country or airline new rule relating to batteries.

Just mentioned it in passing on here as might be relevant to the poster.

There is of course alot less expereinced staff at airports these days so maybe they were wrong, but never had real need to query it.

Jon Read 21 Sep 2022
In reply to neilh:

Well that sounds insane. A sure way to lose all business customers.

Edit: when were customers told this? At security or checkin (if they used it)?

Post edited at 17:01
In reply to neilh:

Lithium batteries or things with them can ONLY be carried in hand luggage, not in the hold.  This is so if they overheat/catch fire someone can notice it and dump a fire extinguisher onto it before it sets the plane on fire.  I think you have got the wrong end of the stick there.

Post edited at 17:05
OP Godwin 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Thanks for all the replies.
So far the flights are on Sky Scanner, which I would then select one of the third parties to book through. So not sure if they are code share or not yet. Some flights go out with one operator, and back with another, and I am staying clear of those.
Once I have decided on a suitable flight, I will contact Trailfinders and see if it is possible to book through them.
I am a bit surprised at the Laptop comment.
Thanks again.

In reply to Godwin:

The laptop comment is backwards.  You can't put them in the HOLD because of the batteries, but even if you did it'd probably get nicked.  Every business traveller ever carries them in the cabin.

OP Godwin 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Neil Williams:

It would appear you can carry a laptop in hold or cabin, which surprises me, because of the Battery https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electri...

In reply to Godwin:

I stand corrected!

mike123 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Jon Read: 

> To the OP:

> The questions above about booking as two tickets or one ticket are the most important thing here.

> If on two separate tickets, the second airline is under absolutely no obligation to put you on a later flight if your 1st airline connecting flight is delayed. And if this is on your outward, your no-show may cause your return on that second airline to be cancelled. Sensible people build in long transfers to mitigate against this happening, but it's still a pretty high 

What he said ^ .

To OP : as long as  it’s one ticket , flying one way with BA and the other with virgin makes not a jot of difference . I’ve done it to India a few times and also done Man - lhr - del a few times , once missed the Heathrow to man return due to late arrival and as the next flight was full got £100 and a meal voucher for my “ troubles “  . When I flew a lot I preferrred using KLM as flew loads of flights to Amsterdam and three or four a day on to Delhi . Nicer airport to hang about in and better inflight service and also often cheaper . Flew from Newcastle - Amsterdam - Delhi a few times  and the whole thing was much cheaper and much less faf than going to London . 

neilh 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Neil Williams:

I think I follow what is requested of me at check in!

In reply to mike123:

I used to say that, but LHR these days, particularly T5, is excellent.

ianstevens 21 Sep 2022
In reply to neilh:

> As the changeover is at Heathrow I would suggest the issue with it all going pear shaped is low.

As the changeover is in Heathrow I'd suggest to the OP to book a flight from Heathrow and get the train there, rather than take what must be one of the shortest commercial flights going.

Jenny C 21 Sep 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

I believe the shortest scheduled flight is in Orkney, Westray to Pappa Westray. Scheduled for at 2 minutes flight time, but holds a speed record of under a minute.

But yes I'd agree about not using internal flights for MAN to LHR.

OP Godwin 21 Sep 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

> As the changeover is in Heathrow I'd suggest to the OP to book a flight from Heathrow and get the train there, rather than take what must be one of the shortest commercial flights going.

Why?

Jenny C 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

It's a notorious for bags to fail to make the connection, leaving you without clothes etc for the first few days (or weeks) of your trip. On order to ensure sufficient time to transfer bags it would be almost as quick to travel by train.

It's probably far more expensive than land based public transport and I'm sure the green credentials are are also lower. 

OP Godwin 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

I thought there maybe something I had not though of.

1. In the OP, I did say I am only travelling with Cabin Bags
  2. Direct from Heathrow is at best, £40 cheaper. A train both ways would be much more, and take far longer.
  3. The Domestic flight will go, wether I am on it or not.

I will allow at least 2hours for the connection. 

Thanks anyway.

SDM 21 Sep 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

With the number of train strikes planned/anticipated, that would be a very odd choice for avoiding stress/missed connections.

And doing it for environmental reasons would also be an odd choice, given that the next leg of the journey is a 4000 mile flight. That feels a bit like fretting over over whether a milk bottle goes in the recycling or landfill, then going out and buying a Land Rover with A 4 litre diesel engine for your daily commute.

Jon Read 21 Sep 2022
In reply to neilh:

> I think I follow what is requested of me at check in!

Forgive me, but it still sounds very strange -- there's no mention of this new requirement anywhere on flyertalk or the airport websites. Who were you travelling with -- I'll have to avoid them!

artif 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Personally I would avoid Bad Airways, as would most of my colleagues who also travel quite a bit for work. 

colinakmc 21 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

We once flew to LA from Glasgow by Virgin, booked though Virgin who also sorted our GLA-LHR flights by BA, giving us extra protection. Sure enough, our early flight from Glasgow was cancelled and the lass on the desk couldn’t have been less interested, there was a slightly later flight that would still connect but she was adamant that there were no seats. Growling didn’t work but a call to Virgin’s helpline did; a two minute conversation between the Virgin rep and the desk jockey miraculously freed up 2 seats on the next plane. 
For £60 really not worth the risk.

apache 22 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Would definitely go for the one airline option- missing the flight to Delhi would be a poor start to your trip

Have good travel insurance so if you do miss the long flight you’re covered for an emergency ticket purchase

The laptop in the hold is a red herring- fly frequently with hand baggage only and never had to put the laptop bag in the hold

Trains-  by the time you’ve added in the extra time (cost) of the train to London and then on to Heathrow you’ll probably be as well as taking the plane. What with strikes and possible delays to trains, getting through London and then out to LHR, you’ll be just as well getting the plane. Also you have to repeat the journey in reverse when you get back to the U.K. while you might be bright eyed and bushy tailed going to Delhi, coming back is a different matter.

Keep the journey simple and it’s easier for you 

ExiledScot 22 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Laptops not in hand luggage is likely a rumour started by the security managers to try and reduce their workload, due to under manning and bad planning. They've probably worked out it's say 15 secs saved for every other passenger etc... I can understand to a degree because even people who have flown annually have no concept that they can save themselves a few minutes by prepping whilst stood in the queue.

neilh 22 Sep 2022
In reply to Jon Read:

Ryan air and Aer Lingus.Different flights 

I do agree it’s strange , but had no reason to query it as I was taking hold luggage nor was I that bothered. 

Thinking about it , it does not make sense.

i will put it down to inexperienced staff at checkin 

stubbed 22 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

> I thought there maybe something I had not though of.

> In the OP, I did say I am only travelling with Cabin Bags

> Direct from Heathrow is at best, £40 cheaper. A train both ways would be much more, and take far longer.

> The Domestic flight will go, wether I am on it or not.

> I will allow at least 2hours for the connection. 

> Thanks anyway.

I have done a lot of flying with work previously, and I would 100% fly from LHR direct instead of taking the MAN to LHR part. It adds risk in terms of baggage and delays. MAN to LHR will be one of the first flights cancelled in case of any airport issues, as there are so many alternatives. Yes it will cost more to take the train but reliable travel is an expensive business.

rinnes 22 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

> It would appear you can carry a laptop in hold or cabin, which surprises me, because of the Battery https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electri...

The link refers to flights to the UK.

I can’t see anything about flights from UK airports but I would not be surprised if the rules are different. I haven’t used any airport for at least 5 years and haven’t carried a laptop on a flight for at least 15 years so I have no first hand experience of what actually happens these days.

ianstevens 23 Sep 2022
In reply to SDM:

On the environmental side I agree with your point. But little somethings are better than nothings no?

ianstevens 23 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

> I thought there maybe something I had not though of.

> In the OP, I did say I am only travelling with Cabin Bags

Excellent, easier to carry on the train and tube.

> Direct from Heathrow is at best, £40 cheaper. A train both ways would be much more, and take far longer.

Including your 2 hour check in and 2 hour connection times?

> The Domestic flight will go, wether I am on it or not.

For now. If fewer people use them, there will be less of them.

> I will allow at least 2hours for the connection. 

> Thanks anyway.

OP Godwin 23 Sep 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

Weirdly, but not on this occasion, it is sometimes cheaper to fly from Manchester Via Heathrow, than direct from Heathrow 

neilh 23 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

If I was going to Delhi from Man  I would go via Schipol and KLM.( never mind the laptops) . Would not touch any London connections.

OP Godwin 23 Sep 2022
In reply to neilh:

Would you be paying?

cander 23 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Make sure you check the baggage allowances are the same on all flights as different carriers have different weight allowances for hold and cabin baggage, as its easy to get clobbered with excess charges, Mrs C flew out on EasyJet, then had the second leg with RyanAir who had a lower baggage allowance and charged her an excess fee.

neilh 23 Sep 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Yes

Enty 24 Sep 2022
In reply to Jon Read:

We have two guests sitting down stairs working on their laptops because it's raining. The laptops were brought on Ryanair from Manchester to Marseille in their hand luggage.

E

Enty 24 Sep 2022
In reply to neilh:

> If I was going to Delhi from Man  I would go via Schipol and KLM.( never mind the laptops) . Would not touch any London connections.

That's another strange one. For years we've had guests flying in from the north of England, the USA and from all over the world via LHR, Schiphol, Paris, Frankfurt. If there's ever any issue with luggage/bikes going missing, 4 times out of 5 it's in Amsterdam.

E

Toccata 24 Sep 2022
In reply to neilh:

> Every flight I have been on out of Manchester as a connection 6 in the last 7 weeks...its a no go..into luggage.France, Ireland and USA.

> Did surprise me.

Flown from Manchester twice this year (most recently on Wednesday) with a laptop in cabin baggage. Also flown from LGW, LHR, STN and BHX in the last 4 months with a laptop in cabin baggage.

To be fair none of these were connections.

Post edited at 11:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...