UKC

Moral turpitude

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave 11 Sep 2017

My (American) employer recently sent me some updated informtion on my employment terms. Grounds for terminating my employment include commiting acts of moral turpitude. It sounds like fun - what should I do to engage in these acts?
Post edited at 08:22
 Neil Williams 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave:

This used to come up when visiting the US. It's crimes of dishonesty or evil intent, e.g. fraud. (Simple assault may not be a crime of moral turpitude, for example, while as it is bad it is not dishonest).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude explains quite well.
 ThunderCat 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave:

Came across that term when looking at the ESTA visa-waiving process.. A very vague and fluffy definition...If I remember correctly, things like arson are fine, but incest is not. (*)

* - this may be complete b*llo*ks

Trangia 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

> This used to come up when visiting the US.

Yes, I remember that question on the US immigration form. "Have you ever been accused of, or convicted of, a moral turpitude?"

I always answered "No", but I didn't understand what I was actually denying. If I read further down the form I then learned that telling an untruth on the form carried a penalty of 10 years in a US prison, so by the time I reached the immigration officer I was dead worried......
 DerwentDiluted 11 Sep 2017
In reply to

Sounds like a Victorian Wood preservative.
 Siward 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave:

Surely to be a dismissable offence, it would have to be an act of gross moral turpitude.?
 birdie num num 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave:

Dogging in a Mormon Chapel car park
Andy Gamisou 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave:

Is it a brand of solvent?
 Pekkie 11 Sep 2017
In reply to birdie num num:

> Dogging in a Mormon Chapel car park

To be gross wouldn't it have to be with the chaplain/priest? Same sex.
 Bob Hughes 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave:

Its what the council uses to scrub "for a good time call 0773 222 4452" off the walls of public toilets.

Trump must be guilty of 1 or 2 on that list.
 spartacus 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Bob Hughes:

> Its what the council uses to scrub "for a good time call 0773 222 4452" off the walls of public toilets.

That number is permanently engaged. Do you have any others?
 Bob Hughes 11 Sep 2017
In reply to spartacus:

Try +44 871 222 3330
 spartacus 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Bob Hughes:
Much better thanks..!
 Rick Graham 11 Sep 2017

> This used to come up when visiting the US. It's crimes of dishonesty or evil intent, e.g. fraud. (Simple assault may not be a crime of moral turpitude, for example, while as it is bad it is not dishonest).

I am disappointed now
 Neil Williams 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Graeme Alderson:
Don't ban him from America, though, as that would mean someone else having to put up with him.

(I would be in favour of refusing him admission to the UK, however)
Post edited at 17:45
 Welsh Kate 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave:

Gross moral turpitude used to be one of the few grounds for dismissal in academia in the UK. They probably still have something about behaviour, but they don't call it that any more, more's the pity!
 radddogg 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave:

Worse than that is moral derpitude
 Fraser 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Gross moral turpitude used to be one of the few grounds for dismissal in academia in the UK.

I may be misremembering but isn't there some such charge in The Caine Mutiny?
 Mad Tommy 12 Sep 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I don't know about 'The Caine Mutiny', but there is definitely a case of Moral Turpitude in 'Porkies', involving the lovely Kim Cattrall.
In reply to Fraser:

Not sure about film. I do remember a musical reference to moral turpitude in this Frank Zappa track

youtube.com/watch?v=qPPDrXHjJx8&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...